Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission troubles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jbidlack@gmail., Sep 20, 2020.

1. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

First gear started making noise the other day. Drained the fluid and found a piece of gear. First qu
    estion is it bad to keep driving? Second, can must modern day transmission shops rebuild a 1938 Ford transmission. Third, is this something that can be done at home with some basic mechanical skills or no?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Stop driving it right now, last thing you want to do is wedge a piece of gear in between rotating bits and end up cracking a bearing bore in the case.

Yes, you can rebuild it at home. Check out this how to article to see if it is something you have the skills to undertake.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-rebuild-a-transmission/

3. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Get Vern Tardels little "let me help you series" book an how to take it apart and put it back together. I fixed my own transmission. They are pretty simple.

Jbidlack@gmail. and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

5. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

6. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

Thanks for the info, I ordered this book yesterday

7. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

8. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

Thanks for the info.

9. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

10. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You can ship your transmission to Van Pelt. The cost of a rebuild is less than what a modern shop would charge to do a late model transmission.

12. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Back in the 50's I had a 39 Ford coupe with a 265 Chevy V8 with original tranny and a Columbia rear end. Blew 2 of the transmissions & went down to local Lincoln dealer and inquired about Zephyr gears. They had none remaining and the arts man told me to go over to the Ford dealer and get a set of 46 Ford pickup gears and I would quit blowing up the tranny. Did that and he was great as I never had another tranny problem and I would have that engine screaming when I came off the clutch at the line. The low gears in that Columbia were 444 and that little light coupe would really jump of the line with that setup.
    Others may differ on those gears but they worked great for me. Jimmie

alanp561 likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

If you decide to do it yourself, buy the VanPelt book and follow it to the letter. Order any parts you need from VanPelt too, as he has the best.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. ^^^ what he said...Mac and his book were very helpful for me.