Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical QUESTION Edelbrock fuel pump

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I bought a Edelbrock fuel pump ( part# 17303) with a max of 3.5 psi . I have run ele fuel pumps on various cars for years and as I recall most run hard till pressure builds then quiet down after hitting max pressure. This pump runs sounds the same all the time.. Got plenty of fuel in tank and there is fuel at carbs . Has anyone here ever used one of these and did it behave like I described . THANKS

2. This one?

https://www.edelbrock.com/universal-micro-electric-fuel-pump-30-gph-114-lph-gasoline-e85-17303.html

Details
    Edelbrock part # 17303 fuel pump is a gravity fed type pump with a simple 2 wire design. It requires approximately one amp average draw at maximum delivery and works on 12 Volt negative ground systems only. It features an in-line style rotor and vane pump design. 2-3.5 PSI, 30 GPH for most carbureted applications and is compatible with gasoline and E85. Pump has integrated 5/16 barb fittings on fuel outlet and 5/16 fitting on included fuel filter inlet.

It's not very big. Looks like it's designed to work on a garden tractor or small engine.

What are you trying to feed with it?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  3. I WARRANTY a LOT of them in the store.. They dont last long only a 90 day warranty

4. Where did you put it Darin? Closer to the tank or carb? And is it gravity fed?

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Electric fuel pumps should always be mounted as close as possible to the tank to be more efficient.

6. Mimilan

Mimilan

That is a "Solid State" fuel pump.
    There is a plunger that reciprocates back and forth [via electromagnets] and the speed is continuous [via solid state circuitry] so the noise will be constant regardless of pressure.

The pressure and flow is controlled by 2 x 1-way valves .When the pressure is exceeded the valves wont allow flow

Here is a Facet [the original]
    upload_2020-9-21_12-17-5.png

If the noise bothers you.
    Use 2 rubber mounts from a Japanese Car A/C condenser. They are quite soft and isolate noise

7. Yeah they're not called fuel "sucks" lol. I've noticed they are louder when they are mounted higher than the fuel level in the tank also. Guess it's a form of cavitation.

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Closer to tank.

9. As long as it's working, I'd just rubber mount it and run it.
    I run a Holley Mighty Mite Electric Fuel Pump 12-427 on one of my trucks and it's quite as a mouse.

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Just to clear things up, I am not bothered by the noise but rather was concerned it was not tapering off as other pumps I have used Which had me thinking I might have an issue with a stuck float on 1 or more of the three carbs ( was having a bit of an issue with the initial start of my freshly rebuit engine) . Got it started and seems to be ok now.

11. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you pulled the hose off your fuel line [ or pulled it off at the carb] and blocked it off! It will make the same constant noise.[it is easy to check]

Personally, I think they are junk
    If you don't like doing jobs twice............
    Buy a Walbro FRB series pump [These are USA made and US Coast Guard approved , And can lift about 5 ft]

The cost of one of these pumps is cheaper than putting your car on a tow truck.