Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Ford F1 Gas Tank Removal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cruisedirector, Sep 20, 2020.

1. cruisedirector

cruisedirector
    from Las Cruces

Hi Everyone,

Been a longtime lurker on The H.A.M.B. and have benefitted many times from the knowledge of folks on this board but this is my first post. I have done many many searches on Google and various truck forums but have not found the answer to this. I recently purchased a 51 Ford F1 pickup and I want to install a new gas tank. I don't want to move the gas tank and install a Mustang or other tank, I just want to replace the original tank with an original replacement. The truck sat most of the time for the past 12 years so it has a lot of gunk in the tank and rather than try to clean it I just plan to replace it.

My question is, because I haven't found this, is how do I access the tank to remove it? I've seen plenty of posts on moving the tank to the rear frame rail and installing a 60's or 70 Mustang tank but none of the articles ever said how to get to and remove the stock tank. This truck body is sitting on an 82 GMC pickup frame and I have been all under this thing and don't see where I can access the gas tank, so I am guessing it is accessed from inside the cab but I didn't want to start removing the seats and sound deadener without find out first. Will someone please point me in the right direction as to how to access the tank and if there are any landmines I need to avoid in removing it, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. On an 82 GMC frame? That's different. If it's the stock tank, simply move the seat up. Undo the bolts and lift it out.

Dino 64 likes this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I believe there’s 4 bolts on the top of the tank. It’s pretty straight forward even if you have the tool tray.
    Of course you’ll have to remove the filler hose, disconnect the line under the floor and remove the wires from the sender.
    The sender is a rare piece so it’s worth cleaning up and checking out. The new senders are problematic.
    As said simply flip the back rest cushion up and remove the tank.

4. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Also don't forget to take the fuel line off the bottom of the tank before unbolting it. 48 to 52 pickup sender.jpg 48 to 52 pickup.jpg 48 to 52 sender.jpg

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Don’t say that.:D Are you talking about the six volt replacement new senders ? From? I am going to buy a new tank , sending unit etc etc for my 1948 Effie.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

On the Ford Barn,
    They have reported problems with inaccurate readings. Basically if you get below 1/2 tank seek a gas station. Too, some will not read above 3/4. There seems to be some problems with the senders and the original King Seely fuel gauge. These problems are not just float adjustment.
    They say you are much better off with the original gauge and original sender if possible.