Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harbor Freight hydraulic lift?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JWII, Sep 8, 2020.

1. JWII

JWII

I was wondering if anyone here had purchased one of those HF hydraulic car lifts and what your opinion was of it? John

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow! Didn't even know they sold lifts? Had to go look to see them. $1800 seems OK, but pretty much the same price as others selling similar lifts. I'm not as anti HF as some, but not sure I'd buy it when others sell them at similar or even lower prices.

bantam likes this.
  3. 34Phil

34Phil

Big thing I've noticed is it goes from 7" to 56" while others are less range. Been waiting on a sale for a few years now. See Garagejournal for this

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you are going to get a lift, Harbor Freight is not the first choice. There are a lot of decent lifts out there that you can get. HF's customer service and sales people aren't knowledgeable if you have a problem. Buy one from a company that has people who sell lifts and similar things every day and can help if a problem develops.

You might try this place, or see if there is a similar place nearer to you. I also wouldn't buy from one of those people selling/installing on Craigslist. No one to provide help later, kinda like the people who put roofs on after storms and then disappear. Buy from someone established.
    https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvMLCwfLZ6wIVEr7ACh3WfQXmEAAYASAAEgIcj_D_BwE

I bought a 4 post that was a popular name 20 years ago. Advertised "Made in USA". After I had it a while using it only for personal use, the bearings wore out. When I removed them, they were Chinese. Fixed them, sold the lift, and bought me a 2 post Rotary. Little more money. A friend has an offbrand lift that works well and was inexpensive. Son bought a home with a pole barn that had a "no name" lift. It works well. (Literally, there is no name on it anywhere)

The point is that if you deal with a company that sells a lot of lifts they probably have good ones or they wouldn't stay in business. So its not about name, its about safety. Whats your life worth?

5. With my experience with HF there is no way I would crawl under a car sitting on that lift.

I purchased a sheet metal brake/shear/roller from HF and the cast arm broke trying to cut 20 gauge sheet metal after using the machine on the second day, if one of the arms broke the results could very well be devastating.. HRP

[​IMG]

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a Four Post lift from Greg Smith. Bearings in the castor wheels were junk but lift itself is fine, went together easily and is very adjustable for un even floors..

scotty t and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't care as much about the cars (they are insured) as I do my health and safety. I bought a Rotary 2 post asymmetrical lift. Well worth every dime. Don't get me wrong, I buy some Chinese things but I do tend to limit them to Mongolian Beef and fortune cookies.

triumph 1, Roothawg, beegator and 6 others like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Not for me thanks.... I'd rather dig a pit!....

pastlane and williebill like this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

Same here, I've had my Rotary for over 20 years with no problems.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Best brand on the market! I bought a new Silverado a few weeks ago, they had to balance a front tire before I left, service department was loaded in Rotary lifts. Makes you feel good in your choice.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

If yo
    If you don't mind used ck your local listings ,I bought a wheel tronics Mid Rise lift for 600 and a 9000 lb two post for 900 both U SA made had to rebuild one cylinder and I put new cables in for a total$1100.on the two post

12. JWII

JWII

Biggest trouble is I don't have the ceiling height for a regular lift. Only 9' overall 8" less under the I beams....

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

If you use a cheap off brand lift someone else may have to dig the pit for you, I would guess about 6 foot Deep!

Gasser 57, Deuces, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  14. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I also bought one of those and the frame broke on the first day. So I guess that you got twice the mileage out of yours.

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Had a pit.......filled it in. Whatever tool I had, I always needed something that wasn't down there.

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I can't believe that people ask questions like this one. Harbor Freight is just cheap and nothing else and with the tariffs going on they aren't really cheap anymore. But I guess someone will get on my case about buying what you can afford. I bought a Bend Pack about 20 years ago I needed a lift that would take my crew cab dually, I looked at a Mohawk and was told my truck would not fit on it so was sold the BP, I regret not researching this further but the BP has served me well.

Pat

17. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maxjax. Its more money but more versatile, designed for a low ceiling, and ALI certified.

Phil

hidez57 likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Garages come and go where I live. It is always pretty easy to score a genuine name brand lift, for not a bunch of scratch.

You will likely have to go take it apart, and haul it, but at least you will then know how it goes together.

Cliff Ramsdell, VANDENPLAS and fauj like this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a 4 post drive on Bend Pack lift that I had professionally installed. It works great and is very stable. I did bolt it to the floor.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. GTS225

GTS225

John; I have no problems buying hand tools and tool boxes from Harbor Freight. I'll even get their low end angle grinders and mechanic's gloves. I'll concede that over the years, Harbor Freight's quality has picked up a few points. The fit and finish of their ratchets and sockets, maybe even the metals being used in the wrenches, but you're asking about something that needs to be strong when it really counts.
    I'd have to say hell no to your idea of getting a lift from HF. Remember, the Chinese industrial machine has sent us dog and cat food laced with melamine that killed a number of pets before it got figured out. They've sent us Boy Scout merit badges painted with lead-based paints. God only knows what else has been imported here, from there.

Spend your money much more wisely than that, and get yourself a better-backed lift than from HF.

Final decision remains yours.

Roger

6-bangertim, alanp561 and 1934coupe like this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bendpak is now off shore made or some if not most of the parts. Not to say there is anything wrong with Bendpak lifts. Most of the shops in town use Bendpak both 2 and 4 poster ones. Hard to find anything these days that isn't sourced off shore. Yes, there are some lifts still USA made but few and far between. IMO its all about the company behind the product. That said I'd be hesitant with a Harbor Freight lift as compared to a similar Bendpak or other major lift manufacturer.

22. Deuces

Deuces

Yikes!.... :confused:o_O

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. 34Phil

34Phil

20% off code 89306541

24. Joe DeBattista

Joe DeBattista

My thing with any HF tool or product is the amount of usage. If your going to use it often and regularly, it is better to nut up and "buy once, cry once." But then again about 15 years ago I bought all my die grinders from there, and they are still kicking where I have smoked a couple of MAC ones I upgraded to, in the meantime. A lift is a pretty life and death tool, but as long as you use it safely, don't go under it unless the locks are on etc....it should be fine. The locking mechanisms on any lift is usually stout, but investigate the way it locks.

25. KenC

KenC

I think the HF lift is a no lose deal. If it works ok and you don't die, it is a bargain. If not, it's cheaper than high payout life insurance and your wife will thank you when she and the lawyers get the payout from HF.

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Your funeral will cost more than a quality lift.

saltflats and gimpyshotrods like this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know of a local that had an new lift installed . Put a Ford 1 ton on it . Working on the rear. His son was turning the wheel. The swing arm mount weld broke where it was attached to the post. Truck came down and dropped him on his knees squashed him dead. His 17 year old son caught the wheel , laid him out and permanently buggered his hip. Off shore lift . Wife got the settlement and sold the place. She couldn’t handle the memories.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  28. JWII

JWII

Okay so sounds like the consensus is not worth it. I have bought tools from HF. Some seem fine others not so much. I always figure if you are in the business buy the good stuff. For the now and again stuff HF seems okay.
    So here one to throw out there.... Could a lift be used out doors and survive the elements over the years??

29. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would want to check the manufacturers instructions.
    Maxjax doesn't
    Allow outdoor instillation.

Phil

30. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I bought a HF hydraulic lift, it is heavy and seems to be well built. Granted, I was overly cautious the first few times I used it. I've had it about a year and use it on average once a week. I'm happy with it.