Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Consignment Dealer Business Practices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 3, 2020.

1. I'm not a flipper, and I'm done making a living. It's just at this stage in my life, I don't/won't travel, and am lucky enough to be able to have someone else handle the road gig. If I see something I want, I try to buy it. However I do have a question for you. Why should it matter what happens after the transaction is concluded? Since I've either paid the asking price or my offer has been accepted, doesn't that mean that I'm now the new owner? And as the owner, am I not entitled to do as I please with my new purchase? Maybe I'm different, but I've never been all that concerned with what somebody else did, unless, of course, it was going to have an impact on me.

arkiehotrods, i.rant, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  2. If it was a Ford, just tell your friend to wait a bit and another will come along.

I would highly recommend having someone see the car or fly out themselves to see the car. This is for any car sale in general. Have someone ouch for the car or have them take enough photos and videos to make up your mind.
    As far as a deposit. I would only give a deposit if the offer has been accepted.

If it is a consignment place, just wait until the doesn't sell, then just find out who owns it and cut out the consignment-man. Im sure if you posted the car someone would know a person that may own it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. .............Agree.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

WTF, I've never heard of that down here. You either want my business or not. A refundable deposit is one thing however asking for a deposit before the offer is even presented to the seller. Does that actually guarantee that the offer will be presented or pocketed on the premises that it was purportedly declined by the seller? Even if you shake hands I'd count my fingers to make sure that I still had all eight (8) as well as two (2) thumbs:D

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here's my experience with Gateway, (Wisconsin, Milwaukee store, actually in Racine) I had my Mercury there for 90 days, their minimum time frame contract and part of contract is for what I wanted $$$ out of the car, they mark it up, set price. BS #1 they advertise your car on over 100 sites, asked for list, I found it on about 20 sites, many details about contract I have not listed here All to their favor, at drop off/signing, I/sales manager had the conversation about, Please Do Not call me with low ball offers as they make their money on selling the car,( I understand the concept) they want you to lower your agreed price agreed on as they keep their commissions high, very high. I had some friends go there to check out how they react to interest in my car and the "Salesman" was a joke, the only one there, didn't have any car knowledge at all, was busy on his cellphone and didn't want to be bothered. 3 different times/guys. I think they Sell Alot of cars, have grown dramatically through the years, maybe it's a good place to buy a car, I don't know anybody that purchased a car there, But I can't recommend them for selling a car. I feel/felt like a DumbAss, the biggest BS deal I ever bit on ever, they call you, they have a great sales girl online, I bring car in, treat you well, nice car, will sell quick, very nice facility, everything looks good, sign you up and that's it, never talk to you again, I called to see if any activity, sales too busy, will call me back, never happened, I called to question poor sales rep when interest shown on my car, no response. The only calls I received from them were a few real silly low ball offer calls and to resign contract, to which my reply was No Thank You, Have my car out front with all paperwork ready as we are done, You don't want to hear what I think about this experience. I have a good friend that tried them as well with exactly the same results and disappointment. I don't have a clue as to why they appear to be successful/growing.

6. Very enlightening, wicarnut. Thanks for the response.

7. jim snow

jim snow

Finally someone with experience with this first hand. There has to be more. Let’s hear it. Snowman

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I have a customer who bought a car from Gateway and it was full of problems. I know Gateway had not done the poor restoration work prior, but they advertised it as restored and ready to go. Overheating issues, heater not even hooked up, vacuum leaks, bolts missing on fenders and grill. Many issues. Dream car for my client but he's spent another 15k over his 39,500 he bought the car for. He had never looked at it.

9. .......What a horror story!

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

A friend of mine recently consigned his car to a local dealer that has been in business for many years here.
    The deal was set up that they asked him what his bottom line was and they would do the (100) or so photos and advertise the car and it would be stored on site, inside.
    It must have been priced fairly as it sold within 2 weeks to a buyer from Texas, everyone happy.

11. Just like Real Estate agent, they don't have any "skin in the game" so they will tell ya what ever ya want to hear

12. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Yes, always go look at car! I have been asked in the past what I think about a car by friends, it doesn't matter what you tell them because if they want it they'll buy it anyway.

Back in mid '90s, a member of our car club bought a '53 Chevy 2dr off ebay sight unseen. Pretty much original with later 6cyl. His wife flew to Nebraska (I believe) and drove the car home without any problems. Same fellow was looking at 55 Chevy wagon in Florida, asked me to call and talk to owner. I didn't get warm fuzzies talking to owner, so he pays someone in Florida to check it out. That person said "Don't buy at any price!" He ended up buying a '56 Chevy wagon out of California after his brother, who lives there, checked it out. Turned out pretty good.

You just never know. I've bought 2 off ebay, '63 Valiant and '55 Ford Gasser, small deposit with agreement if it wasn't good, I could change my mind. Trailered 55 home from Michigan and drove Valiant from Indianapolis, IN. I felt like I did all right on those.

13. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Previous post getting long so here's one more.
    Back in mid '90s a fellow (customer of mail order Mini parts company I worked for) bought '58 Jaguar off Hemmings sight unseen. When it was delivered was not as described, wouldn't roll, wires hanging down, etc. etc. He refused it and it went back to seller. Seller said you bought it, it's yours, send more money and our ship it back to you. Buyer gets seller banned from Hemmings and took forever getting his money back.
    You would think he would have learned from that experience, but no. Year or so later, I am working on an original Mini Cooper S ('60s) for someone else who decides he wants to sell Mini instead. He has people calling me about the Mini, I try to be honest and it turns people away, no one wants to come look at it. Well, previous Jag guy calls up, I try to tell him about car, but stress that he needs to come look at it in person. Instead he buys Mini and then comes to pick it up, wasn't very happy, he says "I didn't know about this, and what about that, etc.?" I said "I told you to come look before buying!" I don't know if he ever bought anything else sight unseen, probably did. Lol. To be honest, the Mini was worth the asking price but did have some issues. It was tough being the middle man.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I sell stuff all the time for other people. Started doing this,way back when the internet just started becoming popular! Amazed people at the time what I could sell! Made a lot of money! Traveled all over the USA delivering and picking up!
    Told a local very large company, that was selling older equipment, I could get them more money! Yeah, sure! But they let try one huge front end loader, when I got them 40% more than they were asking and my commission, I then sold all of the rest of their equipment!
    It used to be fun, in the beginning, but it’s different now! Way too many tire kickers , too easy to answer on the net. But if a person picks up the phone and calls, that moves him up one step!
    As a consignment seller, I make the decisions on the price. The seller has already given me his low dollar! I don’t bother him, that’s my job! I always ask my sellers two prices, what you want and what you will take! Then I do my job.

Bones

15. They rely on the Double D's. Desperation and Dreams. The sellers desperation, the buyers dream. They're always willing to help you out (as long as it's in their best interest), and more than happy to help you fulfill your dream (as long as it's in their best interest). Bottom line... They're the equivalent of an automotive whorehouse. Sole purpose is in fucking everybody.

16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have a part for sale priced reasonable. Gentleman contacts me ready to buy & pay with paypal. Tell him no paypal. Postal Money Order only. No go. Contacts me again, couple of weeks later. Questions why I won't take paypal, tells me he got screwed on the HAMB, & it's real easy to set up paypal. No again. Contacts me again after a month & says he really needs it, but hesitant to pay my way. Give shipping quote, now he wants to make an offer below asking price & me deliver. What? Lots of discussion back & forth about doing business his way, i.e.; send a little now, pay the rest later. No again. Now we are texting. It's a lost cause. Good thing it's a rare, desirable part. Have others interested. Too old & broken to argue. It's my part, U want it, my rules (they are not that hard/unreasonable).

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Every body has their ways, believe me I do. The easiest, fastest, and secure way of sending money these days is PayPal, in my opinion. I have been transferring money all over the nation for many years and have evolved with the times. Even today I still take paper checks and Postal money orders in the mail.... but wait till they clear, usually a week or so. I also have a business bank account that I transfer money in and out of and I keep it broke. That way there is nothing in it in case some hacker try’s to steal my money. I accept PayPal willingly, but if you pay with it I tell them to add 3 % or send “ friends and family” that is free. My email is tied with my business bank account, when I show that my business account has received the money, I transfer it to my personal account and leave my business account broke! If you are carefull you can easily transfer money across the nation and not get bit. Just the way I do it!

Bones

Barn Hunter, INVISIBLEKID and raven like this.
  18. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Beware. same kind of place that does business this way in Mankato, MN.

wicarnut likes this.
  19. 31 5w

31 5w

Had a OT 2003 Corvette I bought from a large Corvette only Dealer in Maitland Fl. Bought my 1 st Corvette from him in 1975 when was just getting started. Had the car 6-8 months and was just "too new" for me but pristine . Called Roger about putting on consignment @ Rogers corvette where I bought. Went over, took car we signed agreed payment to me when he sold car. Sold in 3 months I got my $ and he sold the car x2 ( me & new buyer) Super easy and he had perfect outlet for that type of car