Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The shAm model A sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ukgav, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ukgav

ukgav

So the sedan continues to evolve as these shiny new parts showed up. The tri power was good but I always fancied a dual quad so shelled out for an Eelco intake and two Edelbrock 650 avs2's. I'll update once they are fitted and running.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Gavin Meanley, on Flickr

dwollam, Besty34, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can’t wait!

3. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome sedan. Great to see you are having alot of fun in it.
    It sounds really good in the videos and the pics. Are great.
    The racing pics. Are awesome. Thanks for sharing!!!

4. Mart

Mart

Looks good Gav. And you were saying you used a lot of fuel with the previous setup!

5. ukgav

ukgav

So the new dual quad set up was fitted and instead of spending days road testing and fiddling to get them to run right I decided to save the hassle and book some dyno time. I was actually surprised at how well it ran out of the box with adjusting nothing more than the idle mixture screws but I wanted to make sure the fuelling was good all through the rev range with no lean spots, bogging etc.

Here it is after first fitting

Here it is on the dyno sounding like a fighter plane!

Now here are the results

So 265hp @ 4700rpm and 355lb/ft @ 3000rpm measured at the flywheel.
    Slightly disappointing but I have to remember that it is an old motor that hasn't had a rebuild plus the guy said it's probably a good bit more as the tyres were struggling on the rollers. A mate has used the same dyno and got 100hp less than what his engine produced on the test bench. Again this was a model A running bias plys.
    The main thing is that the fuelling is spot on all the way up and the throttle response is excellent with the new Edelbrocks. We went down a few steps on the secondary jets and put slightly stiffer springs in for the metering valves. The real proof will be back at the drags and on the hills but it feels stronger.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Tim likes this.
  6. Mart

Mart

Excellent work Gav.

Hold your camera sideways, next time, Old Pal.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You’re always going to lose some power by the time it gets to the wheels, can’t wait to see it racing! Sounds great!

8. ukgav

ukgav

Time for an update I reckon. So with the new intake and carbs dialled in the plan was to go and hunt down a 12 second e.t. at the drags. Covid 19 obviously put that idea on the back burner so it wasn't until July that I was able to get back to the track. Unfortunately the 12 second slip eluded me. I finally cracked 100mph in the quarter but couldn't improve on my 13.3 second best e.t. My 60 foot times were down though from 1.8 to 2.1 seconds so if I can get them back to where they should be than the goal should be achievable.

In August I was invited to display the car at a very prestigious concours event in the middle of London. This was representing the VHRA and their 'Sands of speed' class. A selection of 10 cars that had all entered the 100mph at Pendine sands were on display surrounded by millions of pounds worth of classic and modern exotica. Something a little different for sure but very enjoyable.
    I finally swapped the Firestones back on for this event. Looking much bettter with the 7.50's on on the rear.

As it stands the sham sedan is now up for sale as I jumped on a 32 5 window that came up for sale at a good price. That arrives very soon though and, if the sedan is still here, I may asses the two and potentially body swap them as I will miss that nailhead motor!
    There is also another drag event in a couple of weeks and that 12 second e.t. still awaits.

dwollam, Tim and Mat Thrasher like this.
  9. Mart

Mart

Good luck at the drags Gav.

10. ukgav

ukgav

Just Gary and Tim like this.
  11. Mart

Mart

Would the 'Berts have helped?

12. ukgav

ukgav

Had them fitted back in July when I went 13.3's
    The bias plys hooked pretty good with the pressures dropped.

Just Gary likes this.