Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need info on Torque flight 727 trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 19, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

My 727, (Hydro-stick), has now been in the shop for 6 weeks. This is a great shop, great guys including the owner. The problem I'm told is unavailability of parts is the problem, that they are not made anymore and extremely hard to come by. So I said I was going to shit can this thing and fess up to spending copious amounts on buying and installing something more available if it should take a dump.
    Everyone says no, stay with this, it will be okay.
    What say you folks.

Shit can it?
    Keep it, parts aren't as hard to come by as they say?

Now the owner says get it back in and bring it in so we can go over how it is in the car and see if it is done as it needs to be.........no charge. Recall this the shop that rebuilt it in the summer of ' 19 and with just a few hundred miles it failed due probably to line pressure they suspect. Not bad mouthing the shop with this statement, just saying........
    I'm just a little bit :confused::mad:and:rolleyes: with this situation.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

What parts do they need.

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

What year 727? I have built dozens and never had a problem finding parts. What problem are you having with it?

4. 396_425

396_425
    from Clovis, NM

dan31 and loudbang like this.

5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've got a Cope in my OT Plymouth it's been great! Make sure you use the fluid he requires as well

6. What’s the difference between a hydro stick and a torque flite ?
    There are tons of parts available for the 727 .

And a properly rebuilt 727 will not fail in a few hundred miles .

Tommy

7. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I've had a couple friends that have had some bad dealings with Cope. A&A Transmissions in Camby IN is the place to deal with, with the Torqueflight. That is pretty much all they do. Rick Allison is a lot better to deal with than Cope is. aandatrans.com. You won't be sorry!

8. If you have a Hydro-stick, it is not a 727. A hydro stick is a GM Hydromatic transmission modified by B&M. If you Have a 727 Torqueflite parts are not hard to come by, as others have siad. I would find out what part your trans guy cant find and try finding it yourself before changing transmission.

Desoto291Hemi and partssaloon like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

A warped or bent mid plate in the valve body will cause a lot of torqueflite problems.
    I have built many of them and they were never called a hydro stick. Are you sure you know what you have ?
    I did have problems finding some parts for a cast iron cruise a matic but by looking on the net I located everything.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Geez, this may be the first time I've heard someone bad mouth a 727 Torqueflight! A excellent transmission and easy to work on. It's been a few years but used to be really easy to get parts for... Was throttle pressure lever hooked up? I know you can fry one quickly if low line pressure.

wraymen and low down A like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

we need a picture of the transmission so we know what we are talking about. As stated above a 727 and a hydro stick are 2 completely different things....

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Has the builder never told you what failed ?

13. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

lemondana likes this.
  14. 34Larry

34Larry

They were looking for the front pump and a stator.

15. 34Larry

34Larry

Not sure of the year, it lost reverse and was slipping baddly in 3rd.

16. 34Larry

34Larry

This was a B & M they rebuilt for me in the summer of '19 that failed and it is a 727 Torque flight.

17. Wrench97

Wrench97

18. 34Larry

34Larry

As far as Hydro-stick goes that was my impression of what it was called.
    I seem to recall the advertising back when these were THE transmissions in the 60's
    calling them B & M Hydro-sticks.
    I did not put the kick down linkage on as I was told by the shop shifting it manually, it wasn't
    needed. It has the manual valve body in it why would the kick down be needed??

19. squirrel

squirrel

Hydro Stick is a gm transmission.

Sent from my Trimline

20. 34Larry

34Larry

I appreciate the correction Jim and all the rest of you.

21. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Complete pumps are available from just about any major trans parts supplier, such as Transtar.

When this trans was working, did it start out in high gear in drive range, second gear in 2 and low in 1st? If it did not, then it is not a full manual valve body.

Many older full manual shift kits or full manual valve body's required the throttle linkage (kick down) be locked in the full throttle (counter clockwise) position (all the way back).

If I remember correctly, even older Cheetah valve body's were that way.

Some of the newer ones do not require the throttle pressure hooked up. Some don't even have the throttle pressure shaft sticking through the manual linkage, some have the shaft but just spins (not doing anything in the trans). Cheetah valve body's are this way.

Not sure anymore how B&M did it. If it has the shaft and it turns back and forth,and feels like it has spring pressure when turned counter clockwise, then the throttle pressure system in the valve body is most likely still there and needs to either work or be locked in full throttle position.

If the throttle pressure system is still in the valve body and not working or not locked in full throttle position, the trans is working on min. Line pressure all the time. The only pressure rise would be due to RPM only and that is not enough. This condition will be sure to burn up the trans.

If the "kickdown" lever is not hooked up or locked in full throttle position or even if it does not require it, the trans should be installed and a pressure gauge attached to make sure its operating on max line pressure or you will burn it up again.

Bill

wraymen and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  22. 34Larry

34Larry

Picture 277.jpg Picture 454.jpg Picture 453.jpg
    When this trans was working, did it start out in high gear in drive range??..........answer no. I was told to always start in either first or second, never third, (high)

These are the pictures Moriarity asked for and the best I can furnish, sorry to violate the ifs rule a little bit.
    BTW the welded case was replaced with the last rebuild in '19.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy in the PNW who I know could have built a Torqueflite that would hold up without question retired several years ago and I am not sure what his health is like anymore. He has to be at least 80 now if he is alive. The man rebuilt torqueflites from the early 60's on though. He did one for me that even my aunt couldn't tear up.

24. greybeard360

greybeard360

No reverse and slipping bad in 3rd..... Direct clutches are slipping.
    What manual valve body is it? Brand? Yes, most manual valve bodies do not require the throttle pressure linkage to be connected but those have the pressure boosted internally. But if it is a TransGo kit they installed to make it a manual shift, if they skipped a step or didn't do it correctly that could be the problem. With a TF, the B&M shift kit is all you need for the street. It shifts quick (not HARD) and you retain full automatic use. But you need the throttle linkage and it needs to be adjusted properly.

If the shop you are using can't find parts I would find someone else that KNOWS 727's to go back thru it. Dacco, Whateverittakes and many other trans parts suppliers have those parts in stock all of the time.

25. 41woodie

41woodie

Possible parts source, check with any of the companies that specialize in Jeep Grand Wagoneers. Late production Wagoneers ran 727s behind the AMC 360s. Can't hurt to try them

26. 34Larry

34Larry

GB360 no idea what brand the MVB is. Thanks though for setting my mind at ease about the throttle linage need to be hooked up, I stayed with manual to avoid that the last time it was in the shop.
    Again this is the most reliable shop in these parts. Dave and his guys have steller reputations, guess they missed on this one though. No hard feelings on my part. If it had to happen what better time than now with the virus shutting down the shows around.

I started out as a young buck with this stuff and if I'd have stayed with it would probably have the knowledge a lot of you have gained through the years. Instead I got all involved in trying to save the Salmon and Steelhead from gillnets in our rivers and in many lakes across the nation, which was a real waste of time, money, and the loss of a family because of my time involved trying to do so. Having my guru and HAMB, I feel very fortunate and thankful.
    I'll get back to this when the trans and motor are back and running.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Torque-Flite guy in the greater Seattle area was Pat Blais. There's still a transmission shop listed online. Looks like you should start with a new case, one that has't been repaired; that's a BIG crack! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

egads likes this.
  28. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Doesn’t get much easier than a torque flight. Good trans. Put a cheetah full manual valve body in it and forget about it. Should last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TA DAD likes this.
  29. Nothing against the shop,,,,anyone can miss something ,,,,or even a bad part .
    Sometimes new parts are not what they should be .
    At least they said to bring it back .

Tommy

30. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

So long as you don't roll the sprag and blow the stupid thing up. There's no low band apply in those, and while I've forgotten exactly what that means, I remember that certain conditions involving burn outs can cause the sprag to fail, one of the drums to run at 2x normal speed, and boom goes the transmission.

When my OT drag car was running I installed a bolt-in super sprag to help with that and bought a Coan LBA reverse pattern full manual valve body but haven't installed it yet because the car is apart