Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How can I paint inside my doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by email Ed, Sep 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. email Ed

email Ed

I bought 2 new doors for my 1948 Chevy truck and the doors don't have much open area inside I want to prime and paint inside them as much as I can. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you asked this, Ed.
    Been wondering myself.
    I'm thinking brushes... maybe rollers.
    See what everybody says...

3. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm..... Very carefully...

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I bought a pair of used doors for my '49 Chevy truck that had years worth of rust inside but were nice on the outside. I gutted them of the doorlatch and window hardware, leaned them against a wall upside down and used a pump up garden sprayer with a wand to spray Rustoleum rusty metal primer, thinned down, inside the window slot and down from the access panel at the bottom. I had the truck 19 yrs. and it seemed OK from the outside when I sold it.

With new doors, the challenge would be getting the oil film of the new steel cleaned off on the inside.

Gary

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<<<<<<<< I've had that one in my avatar for all but a little over a year when I sold it and then traded back for it since 1973 and haven't figured it out yet.
    Years ago I saw photos of a spray wand rig that looked a lot like a weed sprayer wand with a slotted tip on it that was intended to reach up inside panels to paint them. They make wands like that for airless sprayers and maybe a guy could find a cheap airless sprayer that could be used. You aren't worried about how pretty it is, just that you use a rust killer paint and seal it.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That weed sprayer trick with Rustolium would probably be the least expensive and simplest. Pretty much a one go paint everything you are going to paint and toss it thing but you can find a one gallon sprayer for 10 bucks and Walmart or other stores that have a get rid of last season's stuff may have them marked way down right now. Maybe even Home depot or Lowes as they don't keep a lot of stuff all year long either.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. scotts52

scotts52

8. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Are there any drain holes in the bottom?,if so you could pour a bunch of paint in them and tilt and twist the door around until you had the coverage you wanted and then let the excess paint drain out the holes?Kind of "redneck" but it should work. Harvey

loudbang, Deuces, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  9. Are you doing this to protect the doors from rust? If so I wouldn’t bother with paint. Go get some 3M cavity wax plus and a wand kit. Way easier....will never rust, very simple to use

10. v8flat44

v8flat44

P O R 15 & a brush ????

11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Harbor freight has, in the air tool department, a engine cleaning gun for nine dollars. This is a siphon feed sprayer that will blow paint about 3 feet I've used this tool for 25 years and it's excellent for coating the inside of rockers windshield posts and any hard-to-reach area.

Hutkikz and Lost in the Fifties like this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with 37 caddy, pour some in, slosh it around and doing it this way will get it up under all the lips, in all the nooks and crannys.

Just tape drain holes closed first. Then just pull tape when done!

13. I'm with the wax route. But you can drill a couple of 5/16" access holes that you can then plug with a plastic "Christmas tree" type plug. If you've got a few scrap pieces of 1/4" brake line and a "tee", you can make a siphon gun that'll reach through the holes. I've done it before to paint inside of quarter panels.

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cavity wax and the wand kit. Lippy

15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

16. A Boner

A Boner

If they are fiberglass, I wouldn’t worry...just keep the sun out of there!:)

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are going to try to put sound mat on the door, don't put cavity wax in there. The only way I've ever done it to my satisfaction was a slant tip sash brush with the handle cut short.

You are gonna get scratched up sanding it and painting it, so wear sleeves and throwaway gloves. I use Rustoleum. YMMV.

18. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there are quite a few products in a can for spraying in tight, hard-to-reach areas... mostly for rust proofing. Here’s one I’ve tried - it’s surprising how well it covers and simple to use.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

A little off topic if you really want to have paint in your doors, but it would easily cover the area.

fordflambe likes this.
  19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I done a chevy truck for Dad years ago, 1976, the chinese doors had just came out and everybody knows how they rusted. Dad poored a qt of rustoleum inside them and sloshed it around real good. I thought he was crazy but years later they still were rust free. He done the same to the fenders, didn't help the fit any but they didn't rust.

20. fortynut

fortynut

Fill a balloon with enough to paint the inside once and half again. A good guesstimate will do. Wrap up an M80 so it's liquid proof. Stick it in the end of the balloon and secure with enough tape the paint won't leak out. Secure a string on the M80 so it can quickly be lowered inside the door. Light the fuse, yell, "Fire in the hole!" Lower the balloon inside and be damn quick about it. Run like hell. Repeat as needed.

chevy57dude, southerncad and loudbang like this.
  21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

As has been mentioned earlier, here’s what I like to do. Pour a liberal amount of acetone inside the door with it laying on its back. Get a friend to help tilt and slosh back and forth in every direction letting it run out into the pinchweld areas. After you are satisfied it’s good and clean, let the door dry out, lay down some plastic, tape up any drains on the bottom of the door, and repeat the process with epoxy primer. You can thin it some so it can creep and seep into all areas where the panels are doubled. I wouldn’t bother with painting inside after that. It’s worked well for me over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45 likes this.
  22. email Ed

email Ed

Thanks for the link I just put in a order for the undercoat gun I will try it for epoxy prime and paint I will try scuffing the doors where I can and try spraying some wax and grease remover in them. and I was thinking maybe if I make some door panels to match the seat I can cut some holes and put plastic liners over holes like the newer cars. The doors I bought are Dynacorn so I think if I don't do something to them they wont last long.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! :D:D:D

24. oldsman41

oldsman41

You got some great ways to do it now go for it. I’ve used 3m cavity wax it seemed good also sprayed rust eater inside old doors, good luck

25. 73RR

73RR

You might consider 'converting' the rust rather than hoping paint will capture all of it.
    And, yes, I'd pour it in and slosh it around into the pinch weld seams.
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  26. email Ed

email Ed

The doors are new no rust at all the reason i want to paint in them is to keep them from getting rusty another part of the truck i worry about is inside the area where the door hinges are. The water gets in that area from the wheel wells and the water runs down the window into the door if I base coat clear coat the outside of the doors and just have the prime that comes on new doors inside the door the door will rust from the inside out.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I'll say about doors.

I'm convinced that openings in the bottom of the door to allow for drainage and actual drying out is a really good thing.
    I had a 1947 Hudson Coupe with the most solid doors ever. I was surprised to find a series of five or six little windows cut out of the full length of the bottom of the inner panel, maybe 1 1/2" X 2 1/2". The car was quite solid overall... but judging from the condition of the doors, they were very happy having those holes in 'em.
    At first, I thought to myself, won't the water get in? Then I realized... the water always gets in. It needs a way out.