Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yes. And if the temp /humidity stays the same I’ll smile like a mule eating sawbriars

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Little by little finishing up the wiring. nothing photo worthy- yet - Day job kicked back in - back to weekends only. but it is that time of year.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Lost Bill Johnstone late last night.Full of emotion /respect /and memories. All Good. Should we all be so lucky to be so well thought of. Godspeed
    . Loudbang you and a few others know the connection. In his sleep peaceful as much as we know. Several photos of him on the build. We are a little lost with out him.

loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Oh man so sorry to get the news that Bill is no longer with us. RIP BILL. :(

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Part of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. One of the kindest /smartest /most patient racers -builders I have had the privilege of knowing. He taught me many things including the idea that everything can be done with Integrity and class. 338B5B2F-946D-4A36-B9F5-DBC5D2FDB89D.jpeg Godspeed. . .

Attached Files:

rod1, tomkelly88 and loudbang like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today’s work. Only lack tail light hook up and the second set of grounds.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Nothing photo worthy . I decided to run what is left of the wiring harness to the back( tail lights/ voltmeter etc) in kind of an open set idea. ( real reason is access). ( yes I know already the argument that serious race cars didn't have lights etc) It will be neat ,but the more I try to keep details and order- the more I realize as a real race car you must have access( to work on it /problem solve) any time it is warranted. That means no hidden wiring / just neat and organized. Sometimes I wished I would just wire it like I did when we were younger / didn't have any money/ and as long as it won we didn't give a rats XXX what it looked like.
    Different set of rules now. Got nice pieces and have so much to be thankful. Hoping to finish the wiring next week. As I recall i was going to have this done in a few days. That was in JUNE. Yep Mick is laughing.

8. loudbang

loudbang

Hey think of it this way you will be winning so many rounds that it may be early evening for the finals and most tracks you need some lights after dark. :rolleyes:

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

There you go. As always the glass is half full. Not half empty. Gotta love you loadbang.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wiring harness complete. (Save for line lock /gotta get shift knob/with button ). Everything is zip tied together. Will bundle neatly when I run get main power/battery cables/forward and rear grounds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    GlassThamesDoug, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got a little more done today. And look what followed me to the shop. Got to figure if I am going air /or manual lever. Always wanted a louver press.

Attached Files:

GlassThamesDoug, rod1 and loudbang like this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished up my receiver die for my louver presS. I’ll belt sand and radius the sharp edges in the AM. Used the small mill I have at the house. Gotta go by Sibly’s in Columbus and pick up a shifter knob with a button in it.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Shifter knob/main battery cables complete. Figure I’ll put the line lock on the knob.I had to re-drill and tap for the quarter stick. I am not a fan of adapter bushings that come with some knobs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    swade41 and loudbang like this.
  14. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok officially through wiring other than cleaning up and spacing the zip ties and harness ties up a bit. I’ll photo when I am through.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Testing headlights and tail lights. Even brake lights work. All electrical is completed and tested.Even the door/windows have lights. Need to run rear brake lines then it’s engine /trans time. Even managed to wipe off before photos. Led tail lights actually worked first time. I’ve heard from some that they could be troublesome. Common ground to every light solves that issue according to instructions so that’s what happened.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Looks lie a RACE CAR now. :rolleyes:

Spoggie and swade41 like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Look what just showed up

Attached Files:

Spoggie, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  18. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the same one....

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Now you are just showing off LOL. :rolleyes:

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  20. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch,

What size engine you settle on. C/GS type class?. I picked up another sj 327 block.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I am going with a short rod 331 in the prefect. I now have 5 Sj 327s two actually pretty much in a usable form. One I am playing with on the run in stand testing some old ideas. Got some really nice pieces. Real deal turbo 292 angle plug heads/etc.
    The Willy’s will get a combo that Mick has always wanted to run. Complete new rotating assembly /new aluminum heads /very nice and some other stuff. Probobly the best peices we’ve ever had.
    I am working on a blower combo that I always wanted. I have the parts and we also have another new set of racing head service heads that were built to the max. We are kinda figuring out which set of heads will go but they are all the nicest parts I have ever had for a sbc. Cutting edge NO. But it’s nice to have for once.
    I still have enough parts for a few Grenades. Some of my best running engines have been from cast off stuff. Remember we have a milling machine /lathe /and I am not afraid to use any of them.
    I am also in the process of learning how to build our transmissions. We lost Bill and he took a great deal of knowledge with him. It’s time. Bill always said that they were simple. Guess we are going to find out.

Spoggie, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like some nice iron. I cant wait till I get new shop up, and can start laying out some 2021 plans. Wagon going to be small for Jr Stock fun. If I get the turbo in Thames, it might see some.track time, 2 options for it.
    Be good to see a few tracks next year.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Moved things around getting ready to finish Willy’s brake lines ( rear). First time in over a year since the prefect was on the ground. Was a busy day. Was an emotional day for me in so many ways. It is what it is.

Attached Files:

roddering, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Brake work. Willy’s is flying. Literally.
    First time I have actually done any work on the lift.
    It was used to store the Prefect in the ceiling of the shop out of the way for over a year.

Attached Files:

swade41 likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Makes it a whole lot easier on the back. :rolleyes:

26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yes it does. Glad to have it. Glad we got it when we did

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I want to thank the Military Veterans and our Police Officers/ Front Line Workers that have served and those that are serving. You serve and have served and protected so many. Unfortunately you do not hear THANK YOU nearly enough.
    GOD SPEED

swade41, Maicobreako and loudbang like this.
  28. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nice thought, tks. Daughter & gran kids called to wish me happy holiday. Did not say anything but I do not think of it as a happy holiday. Remember friends did not finish the tour.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rear brake lines finished. Will test tomorrow and bleed/final mounting. Will use hard line mounts.

Attached Files:

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Kind of hard to judge in the photo but how far behind the pumpkin is that line crossing from side to side?