Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 Oldsmobile Hydramatic 1st Gear Shudder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by senginc, Sep 19, 2020.

1. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

I periodically drive my deceased friends 1952 Olds to keep everything working for the widow. I have only driven it ~ 4 times in 2 1/2 years . This last time it was a full year since I drove it.

Now 1st gear will shudder with no forward movement for about 1-2 seconds then jerk and engage if anymore than minimum accelerator pressure. With very very light accelerator pressure it starts in 1st with no problem.

No adjustments have been made since he died and it was not doing this 3 years ago.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Wrench97

Wrench97

Check the fluid level and drive it some more.
    Sounds like the clutch pack is sticking from sitting.

loudbang likes this.
  3. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Seems like a year ago or more I checked the fluid idling hot in neutral and added a quart. A few months later the widow said it puked some fluid on the garage floor (I did not overfill according to the dipstick).

4. Wrench97

Wrench97

It leaked out while sitting not running?

5. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Yes. I have been told that is a "feature" of Hydramatics that can pop up for no apparent reason. My deceased friend Malcom Canon built drag racing hydros in 50's and early 60's known as Canon Hydyrastik. Canon Hydrostik logo.jpg Paul Contorno with Canon Hydrostik.jpg

Dave Mc and bchctybob like this.
  6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Its called drain back.

Fluid from the fluid coupling will drain out and over fill the transmission over time, while not run.

Then components that were never designed to retain fluid above them will leak, such as the speedo drive, which has no seals on it to begin with.

Its a common issue even with later model transmissions and does not mean there is something wrong with the trans.

If the car sits for long periods, start the car, shift through the ranges, check and add fluid as necessary, shift through the ranges again and recheck the fluid level.

Bill

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  7. How about the trans fluid itself? Not the level, the condition. That's just something i was told years ago. I was told that it was from the converter, and that's why they had a drain plug in the converter. Stale junk crap fluid that stays residual in there. I may be off on what the issue is, but there's a possibility.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. Wrench97

Wrench97

My point being if the fluid leaked out while sitting, it is now low again and needs more added.

9. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

It has been driven 4 times in 2 1/2 years by you only?? I'm sure there is sadness about the passing and loss of her husband, but shouldn't this car be passed on to someone who will use it? A car sitting will develop problems such as this... Good on you for helping your friend's widow.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  10. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

My friend bought the 52 Olds in 1955. Went on their honeymoon in 1961 in it. They put over 500,000 miles (many engines and trans and repaints). She is to emotionally tied to it to ever sell it.
    I will check and add fluid. I assume, like a modern trans, it is checked idling in neutral at operating temp.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's kind of sad and beautiful at the same time.

Yes, the fluid is checked warm while idling in neutral. My hydro does the same thing, where it leaks when parked. It's a PITA problem. Funny thing is it will eventually stop leaking when it reaches a certain level, but when I check the fluid at that level its about 1-1.5 quarts low but still shifts fine. Remember to put Mercon III/Dexron in there, which is the proper modern replacement for Type A.