Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Fairlane, Borgeson power steering conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kansas Bobby McQuick, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Greetings all! So I bought this FrankenFairlane about a year ago, and boy did I get myself into something! late 70's 302 out of what, maybe an F100, don't know - manifold is from an '83 Mustang GT, dizzy is from a '65 Mustang, C-6 tranny (that's nice!), 7.75 inch axle from a '77 Granada, brake booster from a '75+ Maverick, front disc brakes from ???. So, mostly good upgrades if you're not an originalist, right? Mostly runs and stops pretty good! But the steering has me worried...

Power steering box is from what, I don't know....anybody recognize it? It works fine once I got the hose leaks sorted out, but here's the scary part....the steering wheel and shaft pull right out of the steering box! What the?! I mean, it steers fine as long as you don't pull out on the steering while driving, but why did the former modificator/owner do that? Any solutions with this power steering box that, I'm pretty sure, is NOT original to the car? 55 power steering box.jpg

2. I doubt very much the column shaft goes into the steering box; that style disappeared in the late '50s/early '60s. And yeah, the box isn't OEM. If you dig in there, what you'll probably find is a splined shaft out of the box with a coupler attached to the end of the column shaft. It should have a clamping mechanism on the coupler, it may be loose. Or you may need to rework it to get a clamp in there.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks like a Mitsubishi Trooper steering box. What is under that muffler clamp looking thing? Input is 11/16" and about 36 spline.

flatford39 and fauj like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The “muffler” looking clamp is stock for the 55-6 Ford column automatic shifter. There is a attaching electrical switch to start it in “neutral only” standard for that time. Someone did a lot of work to make it happen but made no provisions for a set screw. It could be made to work fine if it was out of the vehicle and correct attaching devices.
    If you put in a floor shift all the extra stuff could come off and a hole or two in the column tube could be drilled to reach in and tighten Allen set screws.

5. Well, I may have partly answered my own question. My PS box looks very much like a lot of Borgeson units, a big aftermarket PS conversion kit provider that I'm just now learning of. I'll see if I can get a model number off it. Still, how is the steering shaft supposed to stay fixed down on the unit's input shaft? Appreciate any advice.

6. Thanks....I guess I need to pull the shaft all the way out and see if there are already any set screws or other attaching fixtures on it; if not, I'm off to find an experienced shop to do that work for me, steering is something I don't want to shade tree (I admit it, limited skills!)

7. From another Borgeson site: "For 1952+ column shift cars, a steel coupler (P/N 312500) must be welded to a cutoff inner column shaft. The outer column tube will fit over the coupler allowing enough column tube to mount the shift linkage." Maybe the former owner did this and the coupler has just come loose, or maybe didn't do the welded coupler thing at all? More pieces to the puzzle!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. More pics of the Borgeson aftermarket Power Steering conversion box. I can rest easy knowing it's not scavenged from some unknown other car. But, I still need to figure out how to secure the steering shaft to the box!

Attached Files:

9. Thanks, Crazy Steve! I figured out it's a Borgeson aftermarket PS conversion box, made specifically for '54-'62 Fords. And yes, according to the Borgeson site, there is supposed to be a coupler, and as you say, it has probably just come loose over the years....fingers crossed, if only I could be so lucky for it to be that easy!

Hnstray likes this.
  10. The silver lining is....it will make aligning the steering wheel much easier!

11. JIMMY SIX! It took me like 5 times reading your post, but now I get what you're saying. I need to disassemble as much of that all down there as I can to see if maybe the previous builder DID account for the set screw somehow...and if not, then yeah I need to do it myself. Or, just make sure I NEVER pull out on the steering wheel when driving her! Thanks again!

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I should have included a photo. Mine has a CruiseOmatic trans and needed a longer shift arm. You can see what I made in the photo. It shows the switch and arm that operates it. 8C3950C8-E5F8-4F71-96F9-DAF69EF81E56.jpeg

13. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

If it should turn out to have a collar and set screw, an oft overlooked step is to drill a dimple into the shaft. When properly tight it helps the joining union.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. Thanks for the reminder!

15. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Hey fellas I’m installing Borgesen set up this next week in my 55” w/yblock and Fordomatic. Any advice from those that have done this. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks boys!!

16. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

Hey Bobby I’m starting this project or should I say I’m in the middle of it…. Have you installed the Borgensen box yet. Looks like I gotta beat on the frame to get it to fit in my 55’. Have you gotten yours installed yet, any advice would be appreciated

thanks

J