Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Record Holder 283...Did I Just Get Lucky And Find A Treasure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonB, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Dedsoto, thanks for changing that up for me.

Dedsoto likes this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Beautiful car would be fn awesome to find and reunite with the engine

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I thought the same thing. When I was in contact with the museum I asked if there was any chance they might know where the car disappeared to. Said it was such a long time ago they had no idea.

kidcampbell71 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. fortynut

fortynut

Spite is a terrible thing. I feel for those whose hearts are motivated to destroy from these feelings. The world is always left missing things of value because one individual is stricken with such hatred as to devalue things that might give joy to others. In their haste to make themselves feel better the wasting of things precious to our history is lost. As a result the many suffer collectively for one sick individual's actions. Shame on him.

WalkerMD, SlamIam, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  6. Well said! It makes me sick to think how many vintage and irrepleacable things are thrown away everyday for the reasons you mentioned or due to simple ignorance.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    loudbang, tractorguy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's a common practice to mount a hydraulic pump on the front of a truck engine to run hydraulics for something, like a dump bed, etc. Especially if the transmission has no provision for a power take off.

loudbang, tractorguy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Man, that 283 sound angry! I love it!

SlamIam, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have a sad tale about this. I had a friend, he's about a decade or so older than me, he had a very cool old Guild tube guitar amp, very rare, very desirable/collectible. I used to play it once in awhile while visiting his place, and I told him that if he ever sold it to please let me know, please give me 1st crack at buying it. But no, he wanted to keep in in the family. OK, so years go by, Ray develops cognitive problems, forgets where he is or what he's doing. His wife decides to sell the house and move across the country to live with the kids. I tell her about the amp, I'd really love to buy it. Heck, she'll give it to me, if she finds it. Weeks go by and I keep reminding her, and she keep telling me she'll set it aside and keep it for me. Finally one Sunday she tells me it's gone. Seems she had some friends come over to help clean out the attic (Ray was a hoarder, he kept everything he ever bought, his garage and attic were full of stuff). They brought in a dumpster, and people started throwing stuff out, she thinks the amp got thrown out by one of he friends "helping" her clean up. Damn! A piece of music history that was still functional and in great shape got thrown out. I just hope somebody at the dump saw it and rescued it before it got buried under a mound of trash.

There is an upside to this though, she did give me a 40's era Martin tenor guitar and a 4 string banjo that her father used to play. She said he was able to supplement the family income during the depression with them. They've been stored for decades and she's had to move them around before, she was glad to get rid of them and let somebody who would use them have them.

loudbang, egads, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

On a happy note. The engine and transmission was sold and the combination is going back into a chopped 34 Ford 5 window. After who knows how many years hibernating, what a fitting home for this old war horse.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    RICH B, loudbang, 48fordnut and 4 others like this.
  11. Hell yea...:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  12. jaracer

jaracer

I'll bet it is for a crank driven water pump like a McGurk. It looks like there are hose connections at the water pump inlets in the block. I ran a McGurk crank driven pump on my sprint car. The drive was a bit different, but I didn't run a damper or any pulleys. The pump bolted to the Hilborn timing cover.

13. busyhornet

busyhornet

Hello Butch, you seem to have very much knowledge about the hydro transmissions. I have one for my fathers coupe he built up yrs back and I ha e not got it going yet. my question, will I be able to use the starter that bolts to the bell housing? I’m not sure it’s a hydro starter could have been from a power glide I was not aware of that. I hope I can get this thing going. It has a 56 corvette engine with factory corvette dual WCFB carbs. also I’m trying to figure out the linkages for this thing. I know they will burn up if they are not. the valve linkage is important. Any ideas on how to hook this hydro up to the progressive carbs.

Attached Files:

14. Crocodile

Crocodile

I regret to inform you that Butch, a wealth of knowledge, and a regular on the HAMB, has recently passed away. I hope someone else can help you.

15. I am not an expert on these; but worked with one that came with a unfinished project and was replaced by a 4 speed. You need the hydro starter; it is like no other. This had part of the stock linkage; bell crank and rods; but it stopped there and was never hooked to the carb. If you look at some older motor manuals; they have some pretty detailed instruction on the linkage adjustment. Probably could cook up the parts from the picture; but an actual truck manual (if such a thing exists) may be better.

loudbang likes this.
  16. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

When I got the motor it had no starter. I got lucky and using the info that Butch had supplied I was able to pick one up off eBay.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  17. busyhornet

busyhornet

Looking for a hydromatic starter anybody know of one available.

loudbang likes this.
  18. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Those WB bolts on the pulley are correct for the era.

loudbang likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope I’m not too late on this. The trans pressure arm on the C&O stick hydro I had behind a carbureted and Rochester FI SBC pulled the same direction as the the throttle arm. It did not connect to the lower hole below the throttle plate like the power glide. I am not sure if there was cross link bell crank on the trans to engine mount as this was done in 1965-6.

loudbang likes this.
  20. busyhornet

busyhornet

Thank you for the reply. I do believe it use the bell crank like you mentioned.

loudbang likes this.