Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Towing while sharing the road with glass lickers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Sep 17, 2020.

1. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

My Pinstriper buddy had a can of open paint Can and brushed screwed to his bumper on his pickup. People kept off his bumper

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I have an old Rambler convertible. The valve guides are SHOT. I was getting on the freeway for one exit when this guys drives nearly on my bumper. I was PRAYING he'd get off on my exit - and he did! Normally I kinda feather the gas to minimize the burning oil (high vacuum sucks it right thru the guides) NOT this time! It looked like a Maxwell Smart getaway car. I couldn't see him!!!!! Laughing my ass off the entire time. This motor has smoked like this (decel off the freeway) for years and years. I've grown to love it. Now sadly the motor is starting to knock and I am rebuilding a replacement as we speak. The thought of NOT having my smoke screen is depressing. I think I will rig up a second windshield washer pump reservoir with oil and plumb it into the manifold. It's just too darned entertaining!!

3. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I like the idea of a loose monkey wrench...
    … even better in the hands of a trunk monkey!
    :D

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Turn on the 4-way flashers.

Petejoe likes this.
  5. X-cpe

X-cpe

I love the ones that watch a full size pick up go through the hole but don't think they can get their tinker toy through. Just as much fun are the people who drive through all the way to their B pillar then stop and wait.

6. I have thought about the smoke screen for a long time. A solenoid valve on a reservoir of sump oil, but where to drip it? Dripping it up near the engine (exhaust manifold or engine pipe will be hot enough to make smoke), but puts the smoke everywhere near the engine . Dripping on the Muffler or past it will only result in an oily exhaust pipe, with no smoke. Or have I been thinking about this too much?

7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

on cars I've had with a sunroof, the occasional Jaffa out the sunroof worked real good, dont think you have Jaffas in the US though. flicked up through the opening no one sees where they come from :)

Sandgroper likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

In the late 60's I had a beater 53 Ford 4 dr as a daily driver. I rigged up a spark plug in the tail pipe and hooked it to a model T coil. I hooked that to a toggle switch under the dash. When going down a hill or decelerating I would pull out the choke and turn off the ignition while pumping the gas. Flip on the Model T coil and get 5 feet of flame out of the tail pipe. I did this going down a hill with someone tailgating me. He backed off fast. :D

R A Wrench likes this.
  9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I don’t think drivers in Minnesota would care. They just have to go. I was restoring a o/t pick up truck and had to haul the rolling chassis with a 8 foot snowmobile trailer. The truck had a 110 inch wheelbase and the trailer was 96 inches , you do the math. In one of my prouder moments I nailed 10 foot long (to cheap to buy 12 foot) 2x12 to the bed of the trailer. Loaded up and headed down the road with frame hanging off the trailer by 3 foot, still I got tailgated.

weps likes this.
  10. samurai mike

samurai mike

take the hose off your vacuum wiper and stick it in a can of oil. now thst's smoke!

caseywheels likes this.
  11. when I was a kid we thought there might be an animal living in our garage, so we set a have-a-heart trap and went to sleep. in the morning my dad woke me up and told me I caught something and to get rid of it. I went down and it was a skunk. at the time I was driving a customized van and didn't want to put it in the van with me so I set the trap on the rear bumper and tied it to the rear barn door handles. my plan was to drop it off half way to work, I drove slowly so as not to startle the little guy. the other commuters would come up on me, tailgate till they noticed what was in the cage, then fall WAAAAY back.

Lepus, caseywheels, weps and 6 others like this.
  12. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use to chew tobacco. A guy I worked with a long time ago rode his motorcycle a lot. He said he always had nuts and bolts in his pocket with holes in them. I think many younger drivers played too many quarter videos at arcades. Spin out and right back on road. They probably didn't do good at physics either. Rolling along with a ton of metal at 75 takes a couple of feet to stop

trollst likes this.
  13. noboD

noboD

A bunch of years ago my son and I were going to a car show. Some nitwit kept tail gating me in a minivan. I was eating pistachios and threw a hand full of shells out the window. She got the message real quick.

48fordnut likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree 100%! And the worst ones will go 1/4 mile after that and stop to turn! Doesn’t matter if they are going right or left, they still have to stop!

Worse white knuckle experience I ever had was driving a 54 Chevy one ton with a worn out 235, marginal brakes, and 2 cords of pulpwood on the bed and an idiot passed me and then stopped to turn left. I was literally standing on the brake pedal, trying to down shift, forgot that the shifter would pull out in your hand if you pulled too hard, so here I am in neutral, shift lever in my hand no longer in the transmission, gaining rapidly on said idiot! Luckily he got out of the way and I coasted to a wide pull off just down the road, shaking like a leaf! After about a half a pack of smokes later, I put the shifter back in the transmission and went on to the wood yard to unload. Sold that damn truck that week!

15. On my OT pick up and travel trailer I run both a dash cam that records and a rear view camera on the trailer. The dash camera shows people on my side of the road oncoming and then they see the trailer.;) You can see some of their eyes, some close theirs.:eek: The rear view shows the idiots on the bumper when you slow or hit the brakes to slow for a turn when their eyes light up.:rolleyes: Just looking at the footage is a hoot and should be on that video show that used to be on TV.:p

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'd love to record some of these glass lickers. At one point I had to move over to the fast lane (due to construction ending my lane) there was LOTS of room for me to move over and I did. Part way over I see this glass licker coming up on me HARD. He musta realized that the lane was ending and wanted to get around me - sadly his rubber bands weren't wound up near tight enough and he had ZERO chance to pass. So instead he starts tailgating me REAL CLOSE after a few seconds he suddenly brakes HARD putting a 1/2 mile gap between us. It was hysterical. I'll just bet his expression was priceless. Tailgate Tormentor 1; Glass Licker 0

17. trollst

trollst

I also ride bike, carry a few metal nuts in my breast pocket, have for forty years. Get too close, I drop a nut or two, just enough to take out a windshield, hard to do in a hot rod, you can be seen doing it. Most tailgaiters don't know they're doing it, its normal for them.
    I also own a travel trailer, pulled by a 400 horse duramax, you can't outrun that old girl, yet I'm always surprised by the effort some people put out to get by, only to hit the brakes at the next corner, then me and the boss lady find the next hill to pull out and pass them. See......here, if you're not going up, you're going down, welcome to B.C.

weps, VANDENPLAS, seb fontana and 2 others like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Right on Leroy! I used to pull a 22' travel trailer and would have a good gap and then some stupid bugger would jump into the gap. It seemed I was travelling backwards it happened so much...

48fordnut and warhorseracing like this.
  19. leon bee

leon bee

I just gave up. Teach one of those fuckers a lesson, that still leaves about a hundred million more.

brEad, Elcohaulic, das858 and 8 others like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

One morning I was towing my race car to work. As I had an out of town race and had to leave straight from work. I was towing with an old sliding door step van at the time and I was on a 2 lane road and a car was following me close enough I couldn't see their headlights.
    A small deer ran out in front of me and I hit it and it went under the van and then under the race car trailer. When it came out from under the trailer it was tumbling and got stood up right in front of the car that was tailgating me.
    Of course the girl that was driving the car nailed the deer and tore the shit out of her car.
    I stopped to see if she was ok and she was sitting in her car just shaking. Lipstick all over her cheek as she had been putting on her makeup on her way to work. We called the cops and she got a tow truck.
    I gave her a ride to town and she asked if she looked ok and I said she looked fine and so she walked into work with her lipstick smeared all over. I bet she never tailgated again.

21. ..........Great story, love it. All of the ass-hats that tailgate me should read it.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How about a Twilight Zone spinner

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic and 48fordnut like this.
  23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If you squirt it into the muffler it will smoke like crazy.. Every time I buy a new pair of Dynomax Super Turbos, I spray the insides of the muffler with oil to help it brake in quicker to give it that sound..
    I wish they would sell them without the insolation for us guys who like that mellow tone..

63Champ likes this.
  24. I Sometimes get talgater's & a good freind said put on your
    4 way Flasher's & they will back off of course they sometimes
    Give you the Finger but thats part of the game

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Driver50x likes this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The worse incident I had with a tailgater was towing my 5th wheel on Oregon 42 from the I-5 to the coast. There was a fully loaded logging truck on my ass so I signal to pull over on the closest thing to a turn out I could find. As I was transitioning from the pavement to the dirt turnout I saw an empty low boy locking up all tires to keep from rear ending the logging truck. As the low boy driver passed he yelled and flipped me off. Excuse me for trying to pull over.

Driver50x and trollst like this.
  26. I will be installing a pickup horn under my rear bumper with it's own button :D ;)

Driver50x likes this.
  27. 34Larry

34Larry

Really like the idea but here in Washington this would most likely buy you a real costly ticket. All loads must be covered because of some horrible disfigurements from loads coming off trucks on our roads. I know that's stretching it some but this could be considered something akin to that law by the law. IF a ticket were issued it could be beaten I suppose, but then the time fighting it costs.

28. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Great ideas and stories, but I'm with Leon Bee on this one.

Elcohaulic, Driver50x and Baumi like this.
  29. southerncad

southerncad

Mac The Yankee mentioned mounting a horn under the back bumper with it's own button, I like the idea, but gonna' use a small siren I have....that otta' get their attention & have a tailgater lookin' in the rear view for the cops while slowing down!:D

30. That a good Idea so some tight ass like me would fellow you hoping to pick up a free wrench. I drive a big service truck and their not much you can do about a tailgater once one is go their another one. I try to tap my brakes a couple of time and slow down hoping they will pass me if that don't work It's not much else I can do just try and drive as safe as I can. Safe motoring