Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick engines

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ruben solis, Sep 17, 2020.

1. ruben solis

ruben solis

2. jaracer

jaracer

Torana68 likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No it won’t. There are different intakes for different engine series. 401/425 only fits 401/425.

Basement Sweeper and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

Some log intakes might fit (with flexible balancing tubes between log banks). Single piece manifolds, not so much.

5. I believe the 401 has a taller deck.

6. gggholson

gggholson

Bolt Spacing:

322 8 1/4”

364 8 3/4”

401 9”

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ There you go. And that’s measured across, intake bolt left head to intake bolt right head, just to be clear.

gggholson likes this.
  8. Yeah, only you'll pay a heavy price of having to listen to Russ drone on and on about how many years he's worked on nailheads and how everyone else is full of b.s., bla, bla. I gave up talking to Russ because don't have time to listen to that crap just to get pricing and availability on a part. I called about a month ago and spoke to his son Mark, Mike, Mitt or something hoping to get different customer service, and he is even worse than his old man, flying on coattails apparently. Before he even addressed my questions on some parts they have listed on their website, I had to endure an unsolicited earful of how Russ and he "pretty much" wrote the new (October 2020) Buick Nailhead: How to Rebuild and Modify book in reality written by Gary Weldon who according to Mark/Mike/Mitt "doesn't know much about nailheads" and called them asking for a bunch of info and photos or some crap. Funny thing is that I've talked to Weldon before, and he has a long history building performance nailheads and seems well versed. I didn't even bring up the damn book to boot o_O, so what the hell? I guess hopping around on different coattails is one way to get around in this day and age. :p After that braggadocios conversation, I'm done with Centerville. I called Carmen Faso and got the parts.

Stick with Carmen Faso or Tom Telesco for your nailhead info and parts. They can pretty much source anything you need still out there and answer your questions. Telesco also has custom nailhead pistons. They are great guys to deal with, humble, and don't think the community owes them a debt of gratitude. My $1.

Beanscoot likes this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've bought some stuff from Centerville for my Nailhead, no problem. BUT, since I'm not much of a telephone guy for reasons similar to the reason stated above, I ordered online. They did email me to be sure I was ordering the right things and to make me aware of a couple related items that aren't yet in the catalog - I considered that to be excellent customer service. I bought two 4 5/16 to 5 1/8 air filter adapters and found only one in the box. I contacted them and received the missing adapter in a day or two. Again, no problems, excellent communication and response.
    So I guess that goes to show that you just have to give the sources mentioned a try and form your own opinions.

10. I know what you mean about buying online to bypass the phone hassle. I'm with you on that when I can. The problem with Centerville is most of their parts listed online tell you to call them for pricing and availability and can't be purchased straight online. Maybe those descriptions are all a ploy to get people to call them so they can talk about themselves:p It's a brilliant bait and switch: call for a part, hear about how I wrote a book I didn't write. :p

11. bchctybob

bchctybob

I guess I lucked out, everything I needed was either on Ebay or listed and priced in their catalog.
    The only thing that bugs me more than a business owner who wastes my time blowing their own horn is the other business owners who whine about being so busy that they can't do the job I'm paying them for.

Basement Sweeper and Fordors like this.