Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What other steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jokester

Jokester

Hi all,

My 33 Chevy sedan came to me equipped with a '69 (just guessing the year) Cadillac tilt-telescope steering column with the rim-blow steering wheel. Of course the rim blow function has never worked and repair is ridiculously expensive. My question is: is there another steering wheel that would fit on the tilt/telescope mechanism. I haven't had it apart to see what's inside. Just thought someone would have some experience with it.

Key mechanism is in the column, not the dash.

thx.

.bjb

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Any GM tilt and telescope keyed column steering wheel will work. Try to get a Corvette one since they are good looking.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Lots of 60’s GM products have good looking wheels. I bought a 66-67 Chevelle wheel for mine, three chrome spokes.

4. Jokester

Jokester

What years are suitable?

.bjb

5. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I do not what year things changed but 60`s caddy wheels used a different size hole and splines from their GM cousins. You may want to borrow a wheel and verify your column uses the standard size.

6. 5window

5window

Check your PM's

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Practically all Gen 4 Corvettes had tilt and telescope columns.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Ignore that. It is Gen 3; the 1968to 1980 something car.

9. Jokester

Jokester

That sounds like the year range I should look for. Are Buick, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac all similar enough to work on the Caddy column?

Thanks for all the input.

.bjb

10. cfmvw

cfmvw

Depending on what you want, you could always machine out the center section of the new wheel and graft in the one from the old wheel.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

The telescope feature was mostly on the high end cars like Cadillac, Olds ninety-eight, Toronado, Buick Park Avenue.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Squablow

Squablow

You need to take a picture of the current wheel/column to get an accurate answer. Some of those Cadillac columns had the telescopic handle going through the wheel, not every GM steering wheel is going to swap onto there.

I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but a keyed tilt column from the late 60's or 70's really isn't a very good period look for a 30's car.

13. I adapted my '53 Chevy pickup stock steering wheel to a late model tilt GM column. Spline and horn button fit perfectly, just had to saw off about an inch of Bakelite from the back of the wheel. Point is, seems most all GM wheel/columns are adaptable.

P1010616.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    cfmvw, Jokester and CME1 like this.
  14. well....I've got a 66 Toronado tilt/tele without the integral ignition key. Anyone on here know what ..or if...an aftermarket steering wheel is available for this, or am I stuck with the original wheel? It has the tele lock in the center where the horn button would be...and you twist it clockwise to lock telescoping position, and vice-versa to unlock. Thanks.