Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is Satin or Semi-Gloss Paint Dead??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimebag, Sep 17, 2020.

1. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hi guys I was wondering if the semi gloss/satin paint going away or is it still going strong??? I recently bought a 61 Fairlane and have been thinking going the semi gloss heavy pearl navy blue with a gloss white top and wondering if it’s just a passed fade or timeless look????[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gotta56forme and Elcohaulic like this.
  2. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Forgot to mention that I did paint the steelies and installed spider caps and rings, and plan on installing bellflower tips and eventually getting a striper to come lay down some lines.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paint it how you want it. Surely it doesnt matter how many (or few) other people are doing the same?

4. You like a satin finish go for it PHUCK what others think its YOUR car !

5. I’ll tell you this much Dime, a satin finish car is a lot easier to keep presentable than a shiny one, my Chevy truck used to be red and black lacquer and I NEEDED to keep it clean and waxed always ( just the way I am). After I sanded all that shine off and brushed/ rolled satin rustoleum on it , I have been a happy camper. It’s not for everyone ,,,but for me , it works. Mitch 3E2825CC-2706-4889-A16C-8045A4D727CA.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  6. Keep to your vision of what you want the car too look like. Paint trends come and go.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

If some guy stops you on Jefferson and asks to take a photo of your '61,
    don't be alarmed, it's just me. And it won't matter if you paint it or have
    it just like it is.

zzzzzJoliet.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

Shiny paint tend to make a guy nervous about that first chip or scratch and that can steel the fun of driving it (unless your like me). The satin/semi gloss tends to be more fun because that 1st scratch or chip doesn't stand out like it does with shiny paint.
    On the other hand, it seems that the shiny paint holds up better in the elements for a longer time, I think we tend to take better care of the shiny paint then we do the satin/semi gloss paint.
    As far as trends? That depends on who your cruising with this week. Gene

9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Don't have to worry about a Gold Chain scratching the paint, when they bend over looking for paint inperfections.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

If shiny paint makes you happy then paint it. If you like it the way it is then don't paint it.
    It your car . Opinions are like a$$ holes everybody has one. Yours is the only one that counts when it comes to your car.

trikejunkie and 48fordnut like this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think it depends what your going for. This winter I’m going to blow apart my single seater and I’m going to roll rust-o-lium It says gloss on the can but it comes out a semi gloss. For me rolling on paint fits the build.

Baumi, -Brent- and Driver50x like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have shiny paint but I don't let it own me.. My dad used to tell us, "you own that car, don't let it own you"...

I plan on changing it to dark metallic Purple or Blue satin like the car in the back of the second photo....

Flat or satin paint looks real nice with chrome reverse wheels..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Satin or semi-gloss is what's on every wall in my house. In answer to the OP's question, I sincerely hope so. Your car looks like it's waiting for the next step. You asked for opinions, there's mine.

36cab, seabeecmc and loudbang like this.
  15. Have a moniker like HOTRODPRIMER it should be apparent that I tend to like the low sheen look, for many years my hot rods had coat of primer but we all know that nice looking coat primer never stays fresh for long, it weathers quick and fades.

I even tried epoxy primers and they didn't hold up too much longer.

I then found the Kirker products, the semi-gloss hot rod black and it gave me a finish that stayed looking good and didn't fade.

I will use the finish again in the future. HRP

[​IMG]

ffr1222k, slim38, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  16. bobscogin

bobscogin

The most succinct answer I can give is "NO".
    Bob

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA [​IMG]

18. who cares what is trendy
    its what you like

19. Thank you LB!

36cab, loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

I like a decent, but not perfect gloss paint job way more than I like a perfect flat/semi- gloss paint job. But that’s just my opinion!

21. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

What you just said, to hell with what everyone else is doing or not doing.

22. I gots no horse in this race, and am not fond of offering my opinion on this site, but... my inner voice keeps chanting...

Watson-esque panel paint job...

alanp561, loudbang, dimebag and 2 others like this.
  23. fortynut

fortynut

I remember an age when automotive magazines used their powers of persuasion to create 'trends'. As a Lone Wolf/No Club member in good standing during that time I always thought to myself, 'Why in the hell would someone do the same damn thing everyone was doing?' Even if people who were paid salaries and had their names in the masthead worked their butts off to promote absurdities like Pro Street, that produced mechanical oddities that only 'looked' like steam rollers and whose tires made funny noises when they turned. And, worse still was the Billet Bandwagon, a monster that ate a lot of nice old cars and reduced them to the 'bar of soap' look, that should have been used in these same writers mouths for their 'trend'. Not that there weren't a few builders who actually understood the idea and used it tastefully. One was kind of Little, though being of a persuasion not inimical to this site, I'll let those who can guess who I mean. And, when it comes to paint. Some periods of time have not only accepted but praised the most god awful graphics imaginable, all in the name of 'trends'. So if there are some traditional trends, and I have to worry about having nightmares about them. For the simple reason that the best are either slick and tasteful; or are variations on suede, that has been around as long as hot-rods. As to the world of Customs, that's a different bag altogether, and as much as I love lead-sleds, call me old-fashioned but what was done back when may not satisfy everyone but dark colors, and maybe some contrast as seen in the later work of George Barris's brother, and the candies pretty much cut the rug for me. As to what the younger guys are doing, truth is, time will tell, as traditional means just that. And, folks I am a dyed in wool, hard core, traditional hoodlum of the first water. And, 'trends' can kiss the sole of my Engineer Boots.

alanp561 likes this.
  24. grey49ghost

grey49ghost

Hey dime, what paint brand did you have in mind? I'm going through the same ideas on my '49. A satin dark blue pearl or metallic would look good on your car. 20200224_131131.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I painted my heap gloss. Figured if I want it flat I'll just run over it with 2,000 grit.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  26. Just use cheap paint, it'll be flat in no time ;) then if you don't like it flat, just scuff and clear it :D but use cheap clear, so you can continue this whole circle....

37hotrod, Tman, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  27. Painting the wife’s 40 Ford Pickup now with a satin like flattened paint ....
    F8E17E84-1689-46A4-A6E8-D539509D2F1B.jpeg
    F4FCFE4E-C446-4216-996D-55170A321FD8.jpeg
    B59D35D1-1137-4972-8708-12D44B585C79.jpeg
    60548DD5-A1D6-452D-A298-9975005AF3E5.jpeg
    5AF59875-2630-4948-ADEA-10F8F32B710C.jpeg
    C9E93741-31AC-4D3E-9584-2F48858E6C50.jpeg

Attached Files:

28. belair

belair

This.

loudbang likes this.
  29. alumslot

alumslot

My Henry J is Diamond Blue Met. Made by Hot rod Flatz. They have lots of semi gloss met and pearls. They are TCP Global on ebay.

20200819_111915.jpg

Elcohaulic, 48fordnut and Hdonlybob like this.
  30. clem

clem

passed fad......... that should have gone away a long time ago.

( although I did like the way you asked if it was a passed fade.......because as time passes, the paint (and hopefully the trend) will fade.......

I believe the semi gloss/ satin thing came about while guys were waiting to save the $ for a proper paint job.

do the car justice and paint it properly.......