Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth Project, First ever Project car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarDoctor886, Sep 13, 2020.

1. CarDoctor886

CarDoctor886

Got home from work today , and spent some time disconnecting unessential electrical components and replaced a few suspect wires on ignition system, installed my new battery, attempted to fire the engine and she fired right up, ran rough but was getting better the more it ran, didn’t want to run it to long because I want to make it is not overheating, temp gauge doesn’t work, was smoking a lot but is probably due to alittle oil I put in the cylinders the other day, but I think it’s a good start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemondana, j hansen and abe lugo like this.
  2. Hi one thing that help my wife’s ‘33 is an optima 6 volt battery with new battery cables made from 00 size cable. The cables make the difference to get a better connection making the starter really give it a go.

You really only need a few wires to get the engine to run. These cars a very easy. And basic. Glad to hear you got it running.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    CarDoctor886 likes this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Good advice from all hands. Glad to see that you are moving forward with a decent plan.
    Now that you know the engine DOES run, and you are not facing a complete rebuild/replacement, take some time to get it happy.
    Change the oil. If it comes out goopy, consider dropping the pan and cleaning it out, but IF it was rebuilt and the oil drains fairly normal, you can skip this.
    Run the valves. This will require pulling the side cover and stuff in the way. It will force to to slow down and look at as a 90 year old car and get into the right mindset.
    Check the water distribution tube. A search will explain what this is and how to check it. The engine will overheat if this is bad! This step will make you slow down and research the engine, also a good habit to get into. Again, IF it has been rebuilt, this should be okay, and will confirm one way or another what you have been told and if it's ready to run for distance.
    Brakes will be next, and they are going to require special tools and research. By this time you should have the manual and have found https://p15-d24.com/
    Squirt down everything that is supposed to move (hinges, latches, window cranks, vent hinges) lube all fittings and wheel bearings
    Fuel system
    electrical system
    seating

I've mentioned a few times now to go slow and steady. Understand that it won't be a good winter car until everything is resolved, and there isn't enough time to do that unless it becomes your only job. So relax and figure on working on it over the winter into spring and then maybe take it out. That gives you time to lube and check it all over, get things right, and have the understanding that comes from looking over everything and understanding it and it's condition, not just a used car 30 point check and pull it out.
    I also think most of that house paint will come off with a bit of heat and elbow grease. Start at the right rear, and work your way around and forward. Any newbie mistakes will not be in the front and driver's side where you see them every time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.