Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright so i’m home for break from school now, but i’m taking a class during it so i don’t have unlimited free time. I want to try to get the rockers adjusted before i even think about trying to run it. The push rod of the rocker that came loose isn’t bent so i can reuse it. Is there any easy way to do this? I’m assuming you just want to get it do that each push rod is all he way up, then tighten down the nut on top of the rocker arm? This is completely unchartered territory here, some stuff i have an idea of what to do but i have no idea on this.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Don’t know... guess the intake is coming off again. Damn it

5. Why not look at the picture on the previous page showing the valley with the intake off?

It's not that likely they're solid lifters.

warhorseracing likes this.
  6. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

You need that service manual that I keep harping about, you are as dense as my own Grandkids. I mean that in a friendly way, get the book!!!!

chryslerfan55 and 1959Nomad like this.
  7. This shows the EOIC method that I use. Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing. You can probably do it with the intake on, but tougher to see what is going on if this is the first time you've done it. I like to look at the lifters move in the bores and I generally do the lash thing before the intake goes on.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1012-setting-valve-lash/

RaginPin3Appl3 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 150J/F

150J/F

Here is another method to adjust valves on a Chevy V8...Remove the spark plugs so you can turn engine easy. Set the engine to top dead center firing #1 cylinder. (to tell if you are on the compression/firing stroke, watch the intake valve on #1. It will be the second valve from the front. Intake will open then close as you approach TDC. Turn crank until the timing mark on the balancer is at '0' on the timing tab.) While at TDC firing #1. the following valves may be adjusted: Exhaust #1- 3- 4 and 8, Intake #1- 2- 5 and 7. Now turn the engine one complete revolution which will bring the #6 cylinder to the firing position TDC at which time the following valves may be adjusted: Exhaust #2- 5- 6 and 7, Intake #3- 4- 6 and 8.
    To adjust hydraulic lifters, turn rocker arm nut down until there is zero lash. Then turn nut down 3/4 to 1 turn. (3/4 turn on 76 and later engines).
    This procedure can be used on cold engine but works best on a warm one.
    If you happen to have solid lifters, turning the rocker arm nut will open the valve instead of pushing the pushrod down into the lifter.
    Hope this helps.

9. Depending on what I'm working on, I'll go a 1/4 or 1/2 turn past zero lash. If I have a flat tappet cam that has to be broken in, I go more conservative and adjust it to a full 1/2 turn while I have it running after the break-in. There are many ways to skin a cat and most will make you puke... Whatever you decide on, keep track of what has been adjusted and have a method written down, follow the order. I'll make a mark with a silver sharpie on top of the rocker studs as I adjust them.

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m pretty sure these are hydraulic lifters, i doubt an engine like this would have solid lifters, and I pushed down on a pushrod and I could push down a small amount. Well I guess I’ll try this lashing thing now. So when you say “1/4 turn past 0 lash”, what exactly does that mean? Are you saying to snug it down then do one extra 1/4 turn of the nut?

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

0 lash is when there is no play between the cup of the lifter, the pushrod, and the rocker arm. Spin the pushrod with one hand while tightening the adjuster nut with the other. When you feel a slight resistance to spinning, you’re at 0 lash. Then go another 1/2 turn on the adjuster nut to preload the lifter.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The valve has to be in the proper position before 'you turn the nut'

13. Any update?

Doctorterry likes this.
  14. ... Are you going to be able get your '57 on the road this year? ...

15. Sporty45

Sporty45

Where did this guy go? I was enjoying watching his trials and tribulations with the 57! Hope he comes back eventually :cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. No activity since 22 Dec. 2018. Sadly he must have given up.

17. ... I actually Pm him a few days ago ... no response ...

Sporty45 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. RMONTY

RMONTY

Last I heard he was becoming addicted to comic books. A couple of guys sent him some really cool old school tools that are now probably sitting idle. Such a shame for that to happen...

19. Everyone here tried to help him. That is really all that can be done is to try. Maybe if he still has the car one day the fire will be rekindled.

20. Budget36

Budget36

As I recall, they young man was working on the car in between school breaks, possible that school is over and he has a full time job, and no time for the '57. Anyone been there before? ;)

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I'm sure we all can name a few older folks with the same problem with stalled projects.
    It's not as easy as some people make it look :cool:

22. I will admit that I am one due to a retirement pursuit. I will either be back at it after this May 12th or it will still be waiting when I am done.

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm still here, the car has admittedly sat for the past couple years but now that I'm not away at college and the weather has been nice I got bitten by the bug again :cool: I'm very lost when it comes to this project since I didn't touch it for a long time, but hopefully I can get back into it pretty easily. This thread is actually coming in handy to remind myself of where I was at. I made a list of everything that needs to be done, it's longer than I remembered it being before, but I'm back on it. First thing I'm going to worry about is getting the shifter figured out. I can either use the stock column shifter or try the NOS kit that was sent to me by another member here. I think for now the plan is to try to align the column shifter so that I'm able to get the car to move. I was just going to go for the floor shift kit but I figure if I do that, I'll have to align it too so might as well stick with what I've got for now. Always easier to fix stock than modified. Not sure how often I'll find time to do car stuff but hopefully this weekend sometime I can get back to the garage and get that shifter figured out.

Sorry for the long absence, more important things ended up taking up my time for a while and other interests besides cars (mainly vintage stereo equipment/LP records). That's how it goes sometimes I guess.

24. That is called, "life". Anyway glad that you are OK and willing to come back here and share your efforts and learn along the way. Life will constantly throw a curve or a U turn at you. Adjust, never lose sight and keep going.

25. Welcome back

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  26. ... Glad to see you back at it ...

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

It is hard remembering where you left off. Harder when you are as old as some of us are.

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Many of us have been wondering what happened to you, the car, and the thread. But, you're back, and back at it, and that's all that really counts. You know where to go for help! I am Butch/56sedandelivery

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thank you for the warm welcome backs everyone. As I mentioned this thread is like gold when it comes to specific issues I’m going to encounter so I’m sure I’ll get stuck somewhere and come back to it

30. Good to see you're still here. Progress, no natter how small, is still motion in the right direction.
    You'd probably like my vintage Klipsch speakers.