Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Just want to put this out there.
    Tee Shirts sizes
    Ladys Large
    Ladys X Large
    Mens Large
    Mens 1X Large
    Mens 2X Large
    Mens 3X Large
    $ 25.00 shipped Lower 48
    $ 20.00 picked up at my shop
    If you would like to support the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special please purchase our Tee Shirts.
    Please send size, number of shirts, and a check to
    John Mullen
    9428 Richmond Road
    Lanexa Virginia 23089
    Your support will be greatly appreciated.
    I'll get them shipped right away...
    Thank you,
    John mullen and the Team

2. Thank you,
    Kirk Jacobson for the medal and Tee Shirt purchase. Your support means a great deal to the XO/PP 640 team .
    Thank you,
    John mullen team owner
    XO/PP 640
    Virginia H.A.M.B. Special 20200905_171906.jpg

3. T Shirts, you need a T Shirt? See above post for info thanks 20200810_081136.jpg

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. loudbang likes this.
  5. Lol so true

6. I still need to dig out a bell housing and flywheel for you. Haven't forgot, just busy.

loudbang, D-Russ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Just getting ready to call you. Dont need the bell or flywheel going another rough. But thank you for the generous offer Tim.

8. old flopper

old flopper

:confused: Maybe ;)

9. If i could get enough donations i would buy one of these Rockwell trannys
    Lol, lol, lmbo

10. Ok so thats really not gonna happen. However this is where we will be going with the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special.
    T5 Camaro WC V8 tranny
    We will be swaping out any further use of Automatic trannys. I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY MISTAKES..
    So having sead that I am working out the details to swap a T5 to the 292 L6 engine. I'll be posting photos as this comes together.

11. team XO/PP 640 WOULD LIKE TO OFFICIALLY WELCOME TED TALLENT TO THE TEAM.
    Ted has been a supporter for the project from its beginning. On behalf of team XO/PP 640 we are excited and honored to have Ted join us.
    Thanks Ted for all you do for the team
    John Mullen Team Owner
    the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special... XO/PP 640

12. we pulled the front sheet metal today to access the engine removal as well as went and pulled a Camaro T5 Tranny that a friend gave us. However it has the late design ford bolt pattern.
    We are in need of a S10 short tail housing with shifter cover and an early GM T5Case with the early bolt patern.PMme if you have any of these items that we may purchase.
    Thanks, John Mullen

loudbang, Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John I’m not familiar with all the T5’s but a few years back a competitor was using one with bushings in it somewhere and it caused him nothing but problems.
    If a T5 is an overdrive transmission I would rear gear it to the speed you want to run in 1 to 1 what ever gear that is in the trans. I have a special 4 speed where the OD is a .96 and slow down when I use it with gasoline. Anyway good luck I’m sure this will eliminate a pesky headache so another one can show up.... they always seem too for me..

14. We don't plan on using the OD unless it is needed.
    This could possably allow us to use a lower rear gear and use the OD
    Still trying to figure the OD sets. Not sure which set has the least RPM drop
    Any one have thoughts on that??

15. The lowest factory T5 overdrive gear is .86. They mostly came in 4 cylinder S-10s and S-15s, but also some 4 cylinder Mustangs and T-Birds. You had an S-10 OD gear in your parts box, right? Not sure if anything lower is available in the aftermarket.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. Thanks Dave

loudbang likes this.
  17. Thanks for that info we don't plan to use the OD and will be using the WC trannys that have roller bearing in the main shaft
    I appreciate your info greatly..John

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those S10 5 speeds kicking around.

19. engine out now for the tear down. Crossing my fingers 20200914_135505.jpg 20200914_135456.jpg

20. thank you Ted Tallent, the swap begins 20200916_153450.jpg

21. Tranny 295 close ratio gear set just arived 20200916_180554.jpg

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Man that Lakewood looks like it's drilled for a horse, cow and a mule. :)

loudbang likes this.
  23. Straight up or tilted for the Camaro application in a stock body car. I needed the tilted bolt pattern to clear the roll cage bar that runs down the middle of the cab floor. Looking good so far..

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those tilted camaro firebird also, think it was a V6 world class units kicking around.

loudbang likes this.
  25. found water in number 3 cylinder, not sure where it came from, need to presure test the head..
    Crossing my fingers the head is not cracked

loudbang likes this.
  26. Now I'm wondering if the fuel we bought at Speed Week which has some methanol in it could have corroded the #3 cylinder and left a watery rusty looking chamber.
    I know that alcohol is very corrosive.
    Just dont know about the VP MS 100 fuel left in the cylinder could look like a small amount of water.
    I'll know once I pressure test the head

27. Thanks Dave Russell and Scott Robinson for pulling 3 T5 trannys today for the Bonneville truck. Now to rebuild them into WC units 295 close ratio gear sets

28. We have been running E15 to E85 for decades, the race fuel would not do that to a cylinder

29. T5 rebuilding today, New 295 close ratio cluster and new bearings, new synchronizes, new shims and spacers. Should be like factory new again.
    Will continue more photos with progress 20200920_174457.jpg 20200920_174503.jpg 20200920_174519.jpg tomorrow..