Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally!!! My '60 Ford Custom Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Crazy Steve, Sep 5, 2020.

1. I've been jonesing for a custom for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love my avatar, but generally don't care for pre-'50s 'traditional' versions, I like them better as 'rods'. I gravitate more towards the late '50s, early '60s styles like the Matador, the Jade Idol, and the Adonis although I'm also somewhat partial to '52-54 Mercs. I saved up and bought a '56 DeSoto hardtop about 5 years ago, but the more I looked at it the more I realized that the mods I wanted to achieve my vision were above my skill levels, not to mention my pocketbook. So the DeSoto sat... and I started saving again. And I'm pretty much a Ford guy, so the DeSoto presented a lot of unknowns for me, another reason I hesitated.

So about a year ago I started seriously looking again. I definitely wanted a hardtop, no post cars. I thought about the Mercs, but they've been done a lot; it would be tough to come up with something 'fresh'. I wanted to buy the Seaburst '57 Ford, but some money I've got coming has been tied up with lawyers (and still is) so missed out on that one. The '57 Fords get too much premium on price, so I started looking at '58-59 Fords and '58-63 T-birds as they can still be found for reasonable prices and I like the styling. Had a couple of near misses; a '59 Fairlane 500 hardtop (with a six/stick no less!) and a real rarity, a '60 T-bird with a factory three-speed manual (the last year they were available). I would have bought that 'Bird if I could have...

So I kept looking....

2. Budget36

Budget36

Such a tease....

3. So I found this on CL....

front.jpg

Ok, it's not a hardtop, but I don't need to chop it, just put the top down... LOL. New top, windshield, brakes, fresh 390, with a straight solid body. Downside is it was a budget-buster; I had to use my 'extra' after-purchase money (to deal with the nearly always inevitable repair/changes a new owner makes) to pull it off, so any big $$ changes will be a while. One big plus for me is that while it's currently a 390/Cruisomatic, when the PO got it it was a stick car that had been converted from the auto trans, he converted it back... but he still had the parts and they came with it. So a manual trans is in it's future. :)

There's a few things I can deal with immediately. One is the wheels/tires. The PO bought these cheapo 14" wheels...

wheels.jpg

... because it came originally with 14s and then used 195/75 tires; they look like they were stolen off a mini-truck. I've got a set of equally OT wheels/tires to put on that at least will fill the wheelwells better until I can afford some 15" chrome reverse with spider caps. He also installed a 2V intake (incorrectly thinking it would save gas), I've picked up a iron 4V for it and will dig into my Holley stash for a carb.

The paint is decent, it's an older repaint. Unfortunately, most of the exterior brightwork is beat pretty bad. Some can be restored, but a fair amount will need replacing. All the potmetal is pretty good, so I'm happy about that. Luckily, reproduction trim is now available, although the prices will take your breath away...

And I absolutely love the mirrors...

mirror.jpg
    Those are keepers!

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

unique choice - have fun with it

Thor1, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Nice car and a convertible to boot, congratulations on FINALLY scoring a car you can turn into a killer custom.

HRP

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  6. Some more pics....

Pass rear.jpg

Next to his new brother...

Brothers.jpg

The interior needs help. Somebody re-did the seats in this cheap diamond pattern, but it kind of grew on me. Definitely a custom touch, it's a bit faded looking but a re-dye should fix that.

Seats.jpg

But they didn't do the door panels...

door panel.jpg

... so some cheap diamond-pattern vinyl will fix that. Does have new carpet.

Dash is nice except for the head unit butchery, that'll be a PITA to fix...

dash.jpg

So all-in-all, I'm pretty pumped. Clean it up, do the fixes, and I've got a mild custom. But once the budget is healed, a new white interior (customs need a white interior, that's all there is to it), a repaint to get rid of the resale red, and if I figured out a few things, further custom touches. I hope to see rolled pans in it's future...

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats. A convert to boot.:cool:

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Cruising in style. You did good.

Thor1, scrap metal 48 and loudbang like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny how as we age along we move from the hot rods into more comfortable cars such as customs. Cool find should be fun.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Diamond interior your on your way.:)

Thor1 likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

60 fords are bitchin cars, My pal John Schleicher built a clone of the adonis about 20 years ago. How about an Adonis convert??? this one has 7.50 x 14's on it and they looked fine IMHO

adonis.jpg

12. I'll post progress reports from time to time, but don't expect them often...

13. TCTND

TCTND

Take the gunsights off the fenders and change the grille. Wooosh..... you're on your way.

Thor1 likes this.
  14. Good Score! Lots of potential there...

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How's the wiring? ;)

16. Mark, believe me, I've been looking at the Adonis (both versions) and will gladly steal some of the styling cues used. These cars are a bit difficult to do because they have such distinctive lines. And while the Adonis has always been one of my top favorites, one flaw IMO was that they didn't carry the 'fin' trim forward and down the leading edge of the front fender. I know why; it's an odd profile and I expect that to be the hardest part of any mods I do. Reading the thread on that '56 Ford 'Nomad' with all the fabbed trim gave me some ideas, so I think it's doable. To the best of my knowledge, the Adonis is the only '60 Ford that got extensive body mods (excluding the bubble-top 4 dr with the doors welded shut), most just got grill/taillight/dechrome changes. As I'm sure you'll agree, real customs should have rolled pans...

As to the 14" wheels, the problem is there's no 'tire store' available tires in the right size for these any more, I'd have to go with Coker biasply and as I intend to drive this, I want the handling of radials plus the ability to buy a tire somewhere if needed. No trailer queens here. I'm eyeing a set of Diamondbacks with custom triple-line thin whitewalls, just haven't turned up my 'sticker shock' dial enough yet... LOLOL

17. Congratulations Steve.
    I like your plans for it.

18. Neat car…Those look like trailer wheels…

Thor1 likes this.
  19. Looks great, the chrome reverse wheels will really make it. Patience pays off again.

20. tim troutman

tim troutman

NICE SCORE CONGRATS LOVE IT

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. Budget36

Budget36

Looks like a win-win to me.

Even if Steve doesn't start slicing and dicing it, it'll still be a cool car to ride round in.

Thor1, warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  23. black55merc

black55merc

Congratulations, and I love your plans, particularly the chrome reverse wheels and the stick. I recommend satin black for paint. Until your budget allows for something like Jalopy Joker posted!

24. 6sally6

6sally6

I wouldn't change much of anything on that Sunliner!! Sweeeet ride.....
    Chrome reverses sounds good. Biggest and widest tires that will fit....maybe 16" rims?! (Large/full size cars NEED big and wide)
    Better have a truss on when swapping out that intake!!! Cherry-picker/hoist is a must.
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  25. swervyjoe

swervyjoe

Love '60 Fords. I have a 4 door hardtop.
    They don't need much. It doesn't get much better than Gambino Kustoms 'May Cause Dangerous'

26. Nice! I love my big old convertible! Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Keep the interior and make it a mild custom.. You know, bar grille, second set of taillights in the bumper, nosed and decked and of course, lowered... I love 60 Fords.....

28. TikiTyme55

TikiTyme55

29. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

A nice addition to your stable. Paint and wheels will make a big difference. Get yourself a buffing wheel and most of your shiny stuff will look pretty great despite any pitting.

chryslerfan55 likes this.