Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do I fix this..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30tudor, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DSCN2863.JPG DSCN2864.JPG DSCN2867.JPG DSCN2865.JPG This is the inside/outside on a '30 Ford coupe, front forward roof area of the right side. I am unable to find a replacement piece for a coupe although they are available for sedans (different). My skills are minimal in this area but there is substantial metal to weld too if I had the talent DSCN2863.JPG DSCN2864.JPG DSCN2867.JPG to make one from scratch. What are others doing? Is it beyond reason to apply fiberglass cloth and resin to the inside of the area? It's the front foot that needs to be replaced if anyone has one handy.

DSCN2863.JPG DSCN2864.JPG

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I hope you find a good way to do this, I just started into a similar problem on my 31 tudor only mine is above the quarter window.

Good luck and watching to see if you find the answer.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Good coat hanger wire/soft steel rod n ox/ace weld is the way fill it in,small tip,lots of time as hole get a lot bigger before they get smaller,, or make a patch part new panel an weld it in.

4. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Get with @sloppy jalopies , he is all the way across country (Maine) but I was there just the other day. . . He has what you need

30tudor likes this.

5. good advice, I've done business with him before

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

clamp a piece of brass behind it and start filling the holes with a wire feed. or, make a new part

dana barlow, loudbang and 30tudor like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

That bottom lip just looks like a 90 degree bend, I think I'd make a new section, just that piece, and weld it in, the rest I would weld closed with a brass backer like Rusty Valley is suggesting.

You don't have to fab a whole new panel, just make the easy parts and weld the rest closed. Take your time, don't dump too much heat in it at once.

30tudor likes this.
  8. NO NO NO Fiberglass Cloth has No strength properties to it at all, it is just for finish work.

Also hard to tell by the pics and I dont have a car to go by.. Looks pretty flat metal to cut out, trace onto new metal trim to fit and weld in..

Just Gary likes this.
  9. Keep in mind.. One way to learn.. JUST DO IT !

rusty valley likes this.
  10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Cut out (leaving the drip rail intact) the section(s) that are bad. Make a new piece, bend a lip on it, and weld it in. You will probably have to make a few relief slits in the lower lip to allow it to curve front to back (unless you have a buddy with a shrinker/stretcher tool).
    I would only try to weld single holes if they are by themselves (use the brass backing suggestion-it works well).

loudbang and 30tudor like this.
  11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Well I'm not a great fabricator and I don't have fancy tools, but If it were me, I'd replace the metal by making simple 90 degree pieces and welding them together.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It looks like a straight piece of metal with a ridge in it. Any decent metal man with a brake could make a patch panel in 15 minutes. I could make one with a piece of angle iron, work bench and rubber mallet. You need to find a sheet metal man or body man in your area who knows his trade.

If you want to have a go yourself start by measuring the length and width of the patch panel you need. Make a practice piece about 2 or 3 inches wide to figure out exactly how to make the bends, how far apart etc. Don't worry if it takes a few tries, sheet metal is cheap. Once you have figured out how to get an exact fit, make your full size piece.

30tudor and wackdaddy like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Find some one with a Wire Feed Spray Welder.