Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Got Rear Ended in the 47 Coupe Last Night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

We were headed to a local Friday night cruise, it was still early, but it was rush hour on the freeway. Maybe I should've taken side street there, but the GPS recommended the freeway. A couple of miles from home the traffic had been flowing freely, but then it jammed up. I actually had a hard time getting stopped in time, but just as we came to a full stop WHAM!!! A kid in a 2004 Escape hits us from behind. Crap. I felt it good, so I knew it was more than just a tap. I motioned with my hand to move over to the side and he nodded his head, and we both made our way over. (side note about the asshole drivers not letting us over, wtf? it's pretty clear the cars are banged up and we're trying to get out of traffic FOR THEM! Least they could do is just let us over! But I digress....). We exchanged information, the kid (21 y.o.) apologized profusely, he was really shaken up by it. He didn't know what to do. I calmed him down, explained that we just need to exchange information. I took a few photos of his car. He had damage to the bumper & grill, and was leaking ATF into a puddle underneath the radiator.

the coupe suffered damage to the rear bumper, the trunk lid is pretty tweaked, the trunk handle was broken (bummer, it was original too), the panel under the bumper is tweaked pretty good. I don't know if there is any damage underneath. Overall it could've been a lot worse, it all looks repairable. I have full coverage on the car, and the kid has insurance (I'm pretty sure it's his folks car/insurance), so we'll let the insurance companies hash out the details.

My back though, I could feel it getting sore last night after we got home. I iced it down last night and took some Alieve. Took some again this morning, but it's pretty stiff and sore. Hopefully it'll ease up in a couple of days. My wife's back doesn't hurt.

Oh well, one of those things I guess. Could've been a lot worse. 20200911_180447.jpg 20200911_180511.jpg 20200911_180535.jpg 20200911_180557.jpg 20200911_180606.jpg 20200911_180635.jpg 20200911_180653.jpg 20200911_180703.jpg

j hansen, loudbang, Dave Mc and 9 others like this.
  2. Sucks to the max! Hope your back gets better. Glad no serious injuries (hopefully). Nice Coupe, hope the insurance company comes through for you with a complete fix.

loudbang, Dave Mc, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  3. Bummer, but really cool of you to handle it with such class.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Blue One, loudbang, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Bummer man. I hope you feel better soon. And it works out to your satisfaction insurance wise. Snowman

loudbang, VANDENPLAS, Blues4U and 2 others like this.

5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Sorry to hear that happened. Glad it’s repairable and no one was seriously hurt but the back ache is no good. Hope it all comes out ok. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Blues4U like this.
  6. That stinks, but I’m glad you are not seriously hurt. Bad shit happens, but it’s nice to see the other driver tale responsibility for it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I would advise you to go to a medical facility now , would have been better to have gone immediately post accident , get an official medical report on file , if you end up o.k. , no harm , no foul , on the other hand ......

8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ya , cover your ass now please

loudbang, rbrewer, 56don and 2 others like this.
  9. belair

belair

Yep, go to the doc.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sorry to hear about the accident, for back pain I rely on Thermacare Heat Wraps.

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  11. Yes, definitely go to the Doc, this could come back and haunt you down the road.

12. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

You’re not alone Richard.

My wife and I were rear ended last night going to a cruise night in her lowered ‘63 “Cal” Bug.

Hang in there

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That sucks, but it’s only paint, sheet metal, and money.

Second the recommendation on a trip to the ER to get checked out. Back and neck problems are common when hit from behind, especially in an old car.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, rbrewer, 56don and 3 others like this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your car will be fine, get to the doctor to get checked out, don’t want something to pop up a month from now.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to see that happen but it can be repaired. As many said, go to the doctor. Was rearended hard on the freeway-Co car totalled. Felt kinda OK so didn't go to the doctor. Went the next day. Jammed up knee, sprained shoulder and bruised/damaged sternum. Two surgeries and two months off work.

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Whatever you do, do not sign off on their liability until you're certain that you don't have an injury that pops up later on with the back pain! They will want to get the claim settled as quick as possible just in case and will likely give you a cash settlement to get the claim closed, hold out and they will raise their offer, but you want to hold off until you are comfortable that it won't bother you later on.

loudbang, 2OLD2FAST, rbrewer and 3 others like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Damn, glad you and the wife, as well as the kid, are okay.

I bet he thought he ran into a wall;)

18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hope your ok. Pretty blue.

19. Don't think that you are not injured badly just yet. Years ago I was rear ended and it hurt just a little in my neck. But about 2 weeks later it was awful and I had to have therapy for quite a while. Ended up having to have a rod in my neck. Don't sign off any insurance paperwork for a few weeks to see if the injury manifests itself in a somewhat worse manner.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Dang Jim, hope you guys are OK and not too much damage to the car!

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Re my back, I'm already seeing Dr's and Physical Therapists for my neck/shoulders, that's been a problem before the accident, so this will be looked at. I appreciate the words of advice and care, thank you.

22. Other persons insurance agent may want to record a call with you, use you best judgement- good luck- hope you feel better!!!

loudbang, Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Thankfully you're not seriously hurt and the car is repairable, could I suggest just looking under the rear at the frame rails and checking them. You just never know?

loudbang, rbrewer and Blues4U like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hit real steel - if had been a late model car would have been a different story - hard lesson for kid that hit you - Doc visit for you required - my wife was hit in rear of her OT car in similar situation - lot of damage to car but, repaired - but, she still panics whenever we/she gets in a close cars coming up from rear driving traffic situation - she never loved my style of driving, now must be extra cautious when she is with me - in High School, my '55 Chevy was hit by a drunk driver traveling at a good clip - totaled '55 - my buddy and I OK -

loudbang, rbrewer and Blues4U like this.
  25. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Yeah thanks,
    I think we’re okay,
    The car looks worse than it is.
    All fixable damage, it just sucks

26. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I wonder if that was the first time that phat arse girl got her bottom slapped.
    She may enjoy it ... you may need to keep a eye out.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be careful out there - just saw this '60 T-Bird listed on craigslist sacramento CA 20200913_125902.jpg 20200913_125840.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I got the coupe dropped off at the body shop today. Rough estimate for completion is 3 - 4 weeks. I see the Dr tomorrow about my back, though it feels pretty good now, still I just want to have it looked at.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

God was looking out for you!
    So glad you were not seriously hurt.

exterminator and loudbang like this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just by what you said before I saw the photos I was sure yours would look a lot worse. Leaking ATF from a cooler and they will probably total the Explorer. Wish you would show a photo of it. Glad it’s repairable and take care of yourself.

loudbang likes this.