Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Bel-Air 6cyl to v8 conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy johnson, Sep 16, 2020.

1. guy johnson

guy johnson

Greetings, my name is Guy and I'm in Illinois..I have a 1953 Bel-Air, 6 cyl, three on the tree...I also have a 350, sbc, 195hp out of a 1979 Corvette..I'd like to swap the 6 for the V8 so I can have a/c and power steering...this is a daily driver/cruising around car, not a race or show car..will the stock three speed manual transmission bolt up to the new V8?..I've read many posts on the subject but my question never seems to be answered..the original 235 was replaced years ago with a 216..I'm concerned that adding a/c and power steering might be too big a draw on the aging 216 and I already have the lower hp, 350 so the cost should be fairly low..

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the trans will not bolt up even with an adapter it’s a weak link.
    Everything should be changed to accommodate the V8 for what you REALLY want including the entire front suspension and steering. There are many threads in the HAMB that discuss this. Even the emergency brake will need relocation along with firewall modification and 12 volt electrical system.
    Costs low? You are joking aren’t you....Good luck

3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

This is a swap I almost took on years ago with a '53 2-dr. I had the complete
    running gear from a '74 Malibu, 350 with a Turbo 350 and the rear end assy.
    Actually, I had the entire running Malibu. I still kick myself for not proceeding.
    I hope you get the (positive) answers you're looking for and helpful assistance.