Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Phil Bernstein

Phil Bernstein

new exhaust which meant I could get it lower.

Phil from SCOTLAND

Attached Files:

2. Roadrage68

Roadrage68

Phil, How is this lowered? And what size tires?

3. Bullet Bird

Bullet Bird

Not exactly slammed, but it's the absolute minimum height I can go with still being able to get out of the driveway.

2" drop springs from Jamco, 3" blocks out back and custom valved bilstein shocks for exactly the drop I wanted. Plus a laser alignment

Attached Files:

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bullet, that looks great. You're about 50 miles south of me- I'm starting a '50 Fleetline project soon; glad to see I won't be alone in the fastback world.

5. Lowering similar to the green one. I used Posie rear springs with '' blocks CHEVY DONE 009.JPG and dropped uprights from Fat Man.

6. ^^^^Also I extended the skirts down 1''.^^^^

7. Bullet Bird

Bullet Bird

Please PM me some pics of your project! Would love to see how another local is doing their build.

Curious if you fabricated a simple spacer or how you accomplished that.

8. I just welded a 1'' strip of sheet metal to the bottom of the skirt and then another at a 90 degree angle. The ends are curved to match the front and rear of the opening.

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

That's sharp! Any more photos?

10. Thanks, here are a few. CHEVY DONE 005.JPG CHEVY DONE 006.JPG CHEVY DONE 007.JPG CHEVY DONE 008.JPG CHEVY DONE 015.JPG CHEVY DONE 016.JPG

dan31, guthriesmith, DIYGUY and 2 others like this.
  11. The car has 31,000 miles on it. Original interior with vintage after market seat covers. It had been repainted once but it was not so great. So will repainting again naturally I had to do a few things to clean it up a little. Oh, I also put a V8 in it for a little more power even though the 6- powerglide ran ok.

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man that looks real nice! Went about the same route w my 52. Stepped arms, 54 uprights and a cut coil front. Posies w a leaf removed and blocks out back. Also had my brother extend my skirts to match the body line. Hard to see in this pic, look real close you can see the black primer on the bottom. 123_1(7).jpeg tapatalk_1572928554678~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dan31, Bullet Bird and slim38 like this.
  13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

What tire size are you running there?

14. Bullet Bird

Bullet Bird

Attached Files:

Old-Soul likes this.
  15. Beautiful color. I especially like the Olds hub caps.

Lone Star Mopar and dan31 like this.
  16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

17. Phil Bernstein

Phil Bernstein

Dropped spindles and lowered springs up front. Low springs and 2 1/2" blocks rear. Also has air shocks in rear which operate from dash. 6x15 tyres

18. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

For those of you running air shocks did you keep original mount location through trunk or did you relocate them? I put some blocks on my 49 and I'm happy with the ride height but want to replace shocks since they're old. I have a big dip leaving my house and if I angle just right I'm ok but i like the idea of air shocks to help me out. My trunk is solid but I can see where it could easily get stressed. I obviously wouldn't keep it pressured up all the time only as needed. Any tips and maybe what shocks you are using.
    20200914_160152.jpg

19. I tried air shocks but they would leak down after a week or so. I ended up with overload shocks.. They have a coil spring around them. I put them in the original upper mounting location. Better than air shocks. Rides great and rarely bottoms out. CHEVY DONE 009.JPG

20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@D.Conrad Thanks for the tip. Do you happen to remember parts # or source for the shocks you used? Oh and your cars sweet! I almost purchased one just like it but it was solid black. The guy sold it the day I planned on picking it up.

21. Speedtwin

Speedtwin

My 51 Chevy Styleline with all stock suspension but with Jamco 2” drop coils up front and old school 3” blocks on the rear.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dan31 and slim38 like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My girlfriend Dani´s Suburban. I know it´s a truck, but it´s a 52, it´s a Chevy and it´s got no airbags.:eek::D
    IMG_3230.JPG CRPH4062.jpg

Lone Star Mopar, dan31 and slim38 like this.
  23. I got the shocks from Rock Auto, part # 58510 for $61.97. I have Posies rear spring with blocks, I forgot but maybe 1 1/2''. It rides great and rarely bottoms out. I talked to Monroe and they said they wouldn't raise the car but they raised it 1/2''.

24. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks @D.Conrad . I'll look into them but not sure I want to give up half an inch.

25. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Hi There. Not sure if anyone is on here any more but what the heck. What set up did you use to lower your car. Dropped uprights up front (any mods to the springs). Blocks in the rear? Your car sits real nice. I want to lower my 51 Chevy. Thanks,

26. Phil Bernstein

Phil Bernstein

P1020154.JPG
    Dropped uprights with 1" lower front springs. 1" lower rear springs with 2 1/2" blocks. It will ride like that but only on the smoothest roads. I added air shox with inbord compressor for driving. It only raises it about 1". Then lower it back down when patked P1020156.JPG View attachment 5222810 View attachment 5222810 View attachment 5222810

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    JalopyJimbo, slim38 and Slow down like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-17_3-56-54.png

Hello,

One day, we were driving around doing our weekly errands and a relaxing cruising to boot. So, I thought I saw an old Chevy sedan on the opposing traffic coming towards us. My wife had said that she thought she saw and old hot rod heading our way. So, out came the digital camera set as usual on automatic and the focus depended on me pointing in the right direction. Minimal distractions for safe driving is always in use and if I did not get the photo, well, there is always another day.

Luckily, my composition and focus was pointed one way and the timing showed the Chevy sedan peaking around the big blockage created by some “van life” folks. That was it, since we had to turn on the next corner. Later on, the photo capture showed a normal, two door Chevy sedan that was enjoying a day’s cruise on a nice sunny So Cal day. Whitewall tires and all…

Jnaki

upload_2022-8-17_3-59-11.png
    Then weeks later, as we were turning out of a different driveway in another part of the coastal city, my wife saw this Chevy sedan and like an excited TV game show contestant, said that “…a Chevy sedan is in the driveway ahead.” Well, wouldn’t you know it but, it was the same sedan we had seen going the other way on another coastal street several weeks ago. It was one nice Chevy sedan with the normal stance, cool hubcaps and whitewalls.

She has sharpened her old hot rod/cruiser eyeballing skills like no other. Before, she used to say... "an old hot rod... Now, sometimes, she will say "red roadster", "pickup truck", or even "a sedan delivery." After her experience driving the 327 powered 40 ford sedan delivery, she has the experience, although from a long time ago. An excellent road trip companion and cohort since 1966 pays off in dividends.

My wife knows, from our recent road trips prior to the pandemic and during, the difference between the models, usually. One thing she has as an advantage, is that she is looking ahead as we are driving around. I am more aware of the traffic and other sidewalk situations as they are approaching. But, when I notice something from far away, I am prepared to check things out.

28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

That doesn't look like a sedan to me. You sure it isn't a 50 hardtop coupe?

jnaki likes this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hey BN,

Yes, in some circles it is called a Hardtop Coupe. But in the body style of a sedan, why call it a coupe? The official name is Deluxe Styleline Bel Air for a middle ground. Gassers or Gas Coupes/Sedans? We all have our nicks and crannies for words and names.

I never called Lion's Dragstrip "the Beach," either. It is not on a beach and the closest beach is 4-5 miles away. (Unless the big pile of sand at the end of the dragstrip is considered a beach of sorts...) If you don't count the white sands of the L.A. RIVER as a beach during the summer months, too.

So, we can all continue down the hot rod road with our nomenclature using laughter and smiles as we get older. HA!

Jnaki
    It was also Long Beach State College for us. Not Cal State Long Beach, Cal State University at Long Beach, or the Beach... again the nearest beach is 5 + miles South. Words are a part of life. YRMV

30. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

And I cringe when I see posts about going to Lyons Drag Strip back in the day.

So, is it Dragstrip or Drag Strip? :rolleyes: