Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Clutch size on a 59A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Departed, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I'm currently building a 59A with merc guts and I was wondering what size clutch I can put on those? I know I can run a 9" clutch but would that be big enough for the merc extra horsepower?
    If I go with 10", will the pressure plate go through the hole and be able to bolt it on the flywheel. (Keep in mind it's a 59A)
    Anyone have experience with that? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

You can put a 9 inch, 10 inch or 11 inch clutch in a 59A. I run an 11 inch clutch in my 1929 coupe, there isn't much room leftover but it does fit in there, and it isn't difficult to shift gears. Personally I would go with a 10 inch clutch. Get all the right parts and everything should fit just fine.

stillrunners and sammyb like this.
  3. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

I want to install a 10" clutch and pressure plate. I have all the different flywheels for each application. My only concern is on a 59A the bellhousing will only allow you certain amount of space to bolt in that pressure plate. Just wondering if anyone here have done it. Will I be able to bolt the pressure plate on the flywheel with the oil pan on.

4. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Do you have a 8BA or 59A ?

5. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Ford did use an 11" clutch with the 59A engines in trucks. They usually have the special oil pan with the removable lower pan under the flywheel.

Departed likes this.
  6. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Ah I didn't know that !?! There's actually a removable bottom flywheel cover??!! Umm gonna have to look for one.....

7. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have a 59a motor with merc crank, and merc cam. used the early 9" flywheel with the big blob weight on it, and cut that off to make a flat flywheel. this is the lightest combo you can make from ford parts. learned it from old rumble seat posts, and bruce lancaster posts. however, mine will slip if i floor it at medium rpm. at high revs the centrifical weights come into play, and it wont slip. apparently i missed the part that they would install heavier springs in the 9" pressure plate to get it to hold. it really does rev up fast, its good, but it slips. gotta take it apart again. hotrod story..put it together, take it apart...put it together, take it apart.

Departed and stillrunners like this.
  9. Is that something you can do with an angle grinder ( if your a good operator of angle grinders :eek::oops: ) or does it have to go on a lathe ? Heres a cut one on the left next to an original on the right posted by @jailhousebob.

20200831_161605.jpg

10. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

So on a 59 a you would have to pull the oil pan in order to mount the flywheel anyway,so that would be the time to mount the pressure plate.The various size pressure plates have a different bolt pattern for mounting to the flywheel so you can't just remove a 9 inch pressure plate and bolt on a 10 inch for example.
    With regard to lightening the flywheel, the above example was done on a lathe.It is a huge amount of metal to remove with a grinder and really is not very expensive to have done, not to mention the balance issue if doing it by eye with a grinder.

rusty valley likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

agree with bob, ^^^ its a lot of iron removed. my lathe is 14" and will only fit them with the ring gear removed. then, even though it made a decent finish, i had it done on a grinder, and balanced.

Departed likes this.
  12. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

yeah I know about how the 59A flywheel wont come off unless you remove the pan.... what I was wondering about was if a 9" clutch be enough to handle the extra power without slipping. (larger radius handles more torque). I can slip a 9" pressure plate out the back and access the bolts around it. So that allows me to change the clutch without having to take the pan out.
    my question is. will the 10" pressure plate slip out through the back without having to remove the oil pan. and if so, will I be able to access the bolts around it to tighten it?
    I'm in the process of building the engine and I have all the flywheels (9-10-11). I just don't have the pressure plates except for a 9" one. So considering what RustyValley is saying about his 9" clutch slipping... I think I'll go with a 10" clutch to prevent that.