Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘37 Chevy Tailgate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Sep 15, 2020.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

My ‘37 Chevy’s needed a tailgate for ... pretty much forever! When I bought the truck gee I dunno 30 years ago I remember the guy that sold it to me had fabbed the bed and he said that originally they are only 46” wide and he made it 48-1/2” so you could at least haul drywall or Sheetrock. Is that true? I dunno but it prevented me from ever really searching for a tailgate as I knew it’d be expensive and it wouldn’t fit. So I grabbed this beat to heck later gate so I could use the “Chevrolet” out of it. Since my truck has a dump bed I really wanted it to be able to pivot top or bottom. It’s pretty basic, no frills, but seems like it ought to work OK. I started with a couple pieces of fabbed U and slit it and rewelded it to make a “Z” for the ends. Then I took some old junk water pipe for the top and bottom. The Chevy gate I had was pretty whooped so all I salvaged from it was what I cut out of the middle. Wasn’t going for anything high end - just functional. My point in posting this is that this was a job I put off because I guess I thought it was gonna be harder than it was. The only thing that really went a little catty whompus was that I warped the upper pipe with all the tack welds. To fix it I took my TIG and simulated doing a bunch of tacks (no Rod) across the opposite side and the warp came right out. There’s an after picture I forgot to take a before showing the warp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    AVater, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 55longroof

55longroof

Looks great, btw is that a little American with carbs sticking out of the hood?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HemiRambler likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Way to figure out a solution, right in your own backyard! It looks great!!

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks and Yes it certainly is. :)