Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Curb feelers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steven Ross, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Steven Ross

Steven Ross

Realize a reader once wrote in about curb feelers to help in parking....which I also remember, my aunt used to scrape the whitewalls of her 1982 Caddy non stop during parking in front of her house. Would curb feelers help my girlfriend? In her case, she is always cutting her turns too tight and her back right tire takes a pretty good beating. Maybe women have issues in spatial relations :)??

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Curbs are a lot lower now, if they are there at all. You may need longer feelers!

3. Don't let your girlfriend drive your car. HRP

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wire them to the horn.

Deuces, alanp561, Cosmo49 and 2 others like this.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

really only depends on if shes paying attention to them or not. and if shes dragging the rears, im going to bet not

Driver50x, alanp561 and Cosmo49 like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only thing I know about curb feelers is if you have them, and put your car on a lift you can poke your eye out with them.

7. Some gals can take instruction and develop their skills.
    But others, you're the one who has to develop a special skill to shut up because science hasn't figured out a cure for the braille system of female driving.

williebill, Driver50x and alanp561 like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe install something like this on her car 20200915_154153.jpg

williebill, ahshoe, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  9. 392

This will be good.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Most intersections have the disabled driveways in place, so cutting the corners is not always going to happen. The curb feelers were brought out when the 50's and 60's big sedans were given to the wives, daughters, and girlfriends thinking a big car is safer, etc. But, the bad thing is/was the depth perception in driving those big sedans was a hindrance. It was hard to see over the right front fender and also out of the rear mirror/rear quarter panel. Outside mirrors helped, but the size and length of those large cars just made it almost impossible to not scrape them in parallel parking.

Here is the good thing... If your girl friend could get over cutting corners, then she has no more parallel parking problems as 90% of the cities have decided that angled parking saves space and allows more people to enjoy the downtown parking areas. Even the small local hardware stores have angled in parking or are attached to the larger parking lots. It is rare to see a parallel parking spot, except on narrow streets that have them since the cities started.

Cutting curbs or corners is an automatic fail on the DMV California driver's physical test. Before my mom finally got her license back in 1958, she failed her first attempt at the behind the wheel test. She scored 96 on the written test, but failed the driving test as she hit a corner turning right. On her second try weeks later and much practicing, she passed. That second try made her rethink her angle of approaching any corner and to keep the big sedan in the middle of the lane.

Jnaki

Perhaps your girl friend needs a smaller car that she can actually see all around and get a good feel for the distance from front to back. Comparing the 1957 Buick and 1958 Impala that my mom learned in when starting out, she much preferred her smaller Honda Accord 2 door sedan for ease of driving. Smaller made it better for depth perception and the general feel of the surrounding "safe area" around the car.

It is amazing to see the tiny, blond, soccer mom driving those huge black SUVs around town. (Talk about depth perception) But, most drive like they rule the roads and don't care.

Here is a nice set up on an older Ford Coupe:
    upload_2020-9-15_16-49-16.png

11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Hold on you guys, my popcorn is not ready yet!

Driver50x, warbird1 and alanp561 like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, since the topic is really " spatial relations " and not just curb feelers, I have to weigh in here. Part of the reason is my belief that most, and I say most, women have trouble with judging distance. I believe the primary reason for that is that the majority of us guys have led our women to believe that 2 inches is actually 6. This little bit of misinformation on our part has carried over into everything that women have to estimate. In your girlfriend's case, that would be the distance between her vehicle and the curb. She's really 2/3rd closer to the curb than she should be. And it's all your fault.;)

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

there only good when parking

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I appreciate a well thought out scientific explanation like this. Well done! However, in my case my wife turns too wide while driving so you can figure out the rest!!! LOL

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure about that, what with you guys being on the metric system and all;)

williebill and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. grumpy65

grumpy65

Ooohhhh, I want longer feelers.............................wait, did I say that out loud?

alanp561 likes this.
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Saw a fellow strolling down Bourbon Street one
    Mardi Gras with curb feelers attached to his ankles!
    Obviously preparing for inebriation. I thought it
    was hilarious. I did have explain to a few younger friends what the they were. Seemed appropriate for
    the moment!

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haaaaa!!!----ALL GOOD!-------Seriously tho, back then (in the 50's), as curb feelers were the rage, each time used, the tiny steel ball at the end would become smaller in dia. until just a sharp point was left. This situation proved dynamite to women's silk stockings when they passed by too close to the sharp projectiles. As a result the feelers fad dropped off eventually. And now you know!

alanp561 and bowie like this.