Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 Olds headlight custom swaps still popular?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by highpockets, Sep 15, 2020.

1. highpockets

highpockets

I bought a 56 Olds 98 4 door hardtop that I will be parting out this winter. I have a lot of the parts spoken for and have someone just wanting the headlight bezels. I had parted a couple of these out years ago and had sold the front fender section for the headlights which people were using to customize the other makes. Is this still a popular conversion and if so, what it that stuff worth nowadays? I know prices are down but thought I would check before I commit to selling the chrome bezels separate. Thanks again in advance for the the great advice here.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. williebill

williebill

What kind of shape are they in?
    I know the swap, but haven't ever looked at a set closely. Are they potmetal? Steel ?
    If they're good, I'd think the true custom guys would want them, can't be many left.
    I would, but I'm a canted, quad kind of guy.

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You can usually buy a set of rings with passable chrome for about $100-200, depending on how passable they are.

Nothing involving customs is popular right now. So prices are reflective of that.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell the front foot or more. True that costs are down but these are desirable and wanted by guys wanting them. To me they are one of the best features on any custom.

texasred and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have pondered it for my custom....

6. highpockets

highpockets

They are decent pot metal chrome. But, I was talking about cutting the front of the fenders off to convert other old cars to that style..the fenders are peaked on top and I know it used to be a popular swap although would take some fab work.

7. highpockets

highpockets

And,,,I love the canted quads myself. One of the coolest styles ever!

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can buy decent ones repo.

Daddy Deville likes this.
  9. I used the fender tops on my Chevy and bought nice repop rings, so I wouldn't worry too much about separating the rings from the fenders....you'll still be able to sell the fenders without the rings without too much trouble I'd think

10. highpockets

highpockets

I didn't know they had repops, but did find them online. That is good to know so thanks a lot for that info!

drdave likes this.
  11. I have been semi looking for these for my car. The sheet metal that is.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the fenders are good you will get more for the whole fender. If they are rotted at the back might as well cut them up. I wouldn't bother cutting them myself, offer the fenders to whoever buys the trim rings or sell separately.

13. Squablow

Squablow

The bezels are nearly worthless if the pot metal is pitted, since they're reproduced. But the buckets have value if they're solid, and the fender caps (assuming the rest of the fender is junk) can get cut off. I think I sold my last set of cutoffs for $150 for the pair, plus shipping.

If the buyer only wants the bezels, and they're willing to buy rough ones, take whatever you can get.

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have these 20190805_101325.jpg 20190805_101409.jpg

57 HEAP and drdave like this.
  15. And what is the price? ^^^^^