Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol, I forgot the measuring tape but that's OK, we didnt have to measure to see it wasnt square. Pretty much as soon as I walked through the door I noticed a big crack in the frame and it only got worse from there, thing was like a table with 3 legs. Loose rivets, bent mounts, etc etc. Looked much better in the pics, guess that's how it goes.

Passed on everything but did get a NOS fuel pump stand so at least it wasn't totally wasted. Really it was worth it for the knowledge either way... I think I'll be able to make a much more educated decision when the next one comes around. On to Salado.

Got the fuel pump hooked up, seems to work, need to get the right bolts for it and cut some gaskets.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    RMONTY likes this.
  2. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's awesome man, I appreciate that and I'll definitely let you know!

RMONTY likes this.
  3. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running better every time! Until it runs out of gas.

4. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

5. Sounding good.

HuskerNation likes this.
  6. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got some more gas... filled up the radiator and ran it til it ran out again... idled for probably 5 minutes. The smoke cleared up! It vibrates the choke open if you don't hold it in place and then it wants to rev up but otherwise it idles fine. It's currently cooling off and pissing water. The passenger side pump sprung a leak around the shaft too once it warmed up... so that's two I'll need to replace or rebuild. Still leaning toward replacing them both with new units but I don't have the money right now... or well I do but the budget is currently dedicated to getting a body and frame.

9DCA798D-A844-475A-930E-5AF7F2BED8D2.jpeg

What worries me a little is the water pouring out of this thing looks like this... it's not oily or anything but man I swear I put clear water in it. Is that just rust? Old coolant mixing with the water? It doesn't smell like anything.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    RMONTY and 48fordnut like this.
  7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Eng getting warm, loosening up the rust that's inside, normal ops. Even after my block was boiled and cleaned there was trash that could be dislodged with a screwdriver ,or what ever you decide to probe with.
    More will come out,count on it.
    F/H water pumps are notorious for leaks, use the new style, better seals.

RMONTY and trevorsworth like this.
  8. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I figured that's all it was but wanted to make sure that was normal before I let it run much longer. At this rate maybe it'll get it all out before I get around to replacing the pumps. Two birds with one stone.

I shut it off a few times over the 5 or so combined minutes it was running for different reasons, here's the second to last and last run. It starts that easily every time...

It might be time to look into getting proper motor mounts, the vibration is really quite intense. You can see it shaking the control panel.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    J.Ukrop and RMONTY like this.
  9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Realized I failed to catch any footage of high revs or the real nice idle so here. Filled up the radiator one more time for this one, feast your ears...

Still smokes a little when you gun it!

RodStRace, J.Ukrop and RMONTY like this.
  10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Probably would not hurt to run a bit of engine coolant flush thru it while it's still on the stand and leaking. It should clean it up a bit and find any other leaks now before it's in a chassis.

48fordnut likes this.
  11. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

You're gonna love this one. The Farmhouse Flyer!! A fellow Canadian hotrod junky. Follow him on Instagram... ROYALRODNKUSTOM IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0883.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Sounds good. Cuts some chunks of tire to insulate the eng. Put them under the mounts.
    Great start.

trevorsworth likes this.
  13. Trevor, that radiator sat in a car that was not run for 15+ years. Some of the junk might be coming from there.
    amodel25
    Actually 20+. I've had it for 5 years.

trevorsworth likes this.
  14. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do love that one... looks like I’m signing up for insta. That looks like a 32-34?

Could be it. I just ran hose water through it to blow out the spiders and acorns before I hooked it up, dont know why that didn’t occur to me.

15. adam401

adam401

That truck is a 30 31 model A

16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cowl looked too short for an A to me but I’m still training my eye. My phone’s tiny screen doesn’t help...

17. slv63

slv63

The dead giveaway it’s a Model A is the shiny stainless cowl band. 30/31’s have that

18. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking closer I can see the reason it looked short is the windshield is opened up a little. Good tip about the trim piece.

That is pretty much exactly what I am gunning for.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  19. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stopped at a junkyard I pass by sometimes because he had a 52 F1 outside that clearly had a radiator in it... figured I could snag it and maybe some other 8BA bits and bobs. Was a straight 6 though unfortunately and he wasn't selling any parts off it, just the whole truck (for a good price, but I don't need it).

Asked if he had any A stuff and he said yeah he had some in a pile out back so I went to the pile out back and found some crumpled up fenders and a crushed cowl in a burn pile. :(

He pointed me to another yard that has more stuff though so going to head that way soon.

oliver westlund, RMONTY and RodStRace like this.
  21. adam401

adam401

Those leads are how you find stuff so still a worthwhile stop

RMONTY, RodStRace, greaser and 2 others like this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. I have never heard of the yard I'm going to and never would have known it existed.

RMONTY and RodStRace like this.
  23. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, and since he is looking to sell his truck and you aren't interested, keep passing along that info to those that ARE looking for a truck. Presto, 2 happy guys. Positive feedback loop.

Don't forget, if you want juice brakes too (very good idea), you are looking for more than "A" parts.
    You might want an F1 steering box, too. Maybe a Banjo wheel. Have a dream list, a tape measure and some bills in your pocket!

RMONTY and trevorsworth like this.
  24. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a couple guys looking for an F1 so I have already pointed them his way! I think the truck is a good candidate for restoration and at a good price considering it has a complete drivetrain, solid frame, solid body and even tires that hold air. Hood, doors and grille were pulled for another truck but other than the dents and dings you'd expect from a farm truck it's in decent enough shape for the asking price. If he was parting the truck out I would have nabbed the steering box.

I am on the juice bandwagon now. I was going to stick with mech brakes just to get as close to "the real deal" as possible but they will be more of a pain in the ass to set up with the 8RT than they are really worth. Need to do some more research to figure out what I need as far as the rear axle goes.

I am planning to stick with the stock A suspension on bigger (diameter wise) tires to show off the undercarriage a little. Love the look of the A's transverse leaf suspension and the skinny banjo rear end really sells it. I don't know enough yet about how the rear ends go together but I assume some detailed work is required to convert A banjos to hydraulic brakes and it would probably be easier to start with a later model banjo and just make my own spring perches? There's so much information to absorb all at once here but I am doing my best to keep up.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

nothing more fun than walking thru an old junk yard. i know, they are disappearing , but they are still around if you are outside the cities. ask around for the local scrap iron guy, they have the stuff and dont know what it is

26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Is that the one from Salado? Looks like you scored 3 wheels and a radiator maybe?

29. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! The frame, 3 good usable wheels that are the respective sizes I want (with the hubcaps I want), a radiator, two F1 steering columns/boxes, and a '40 Ford rear end with hydraulic brakes.

The total came out to a bit more than I was meaning to spend but that's OK. The frame is in great shape and I got a lot for my money.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  30. flatford39

flatford39

Great news...The wheels with tires will go right on that rear end so you can roll it around instead of dragging it. The F-1 boxes are perfect for what your doing. Just make sure you inspect the sectors for pitting. They are really easy to take apart and put back together. Is that a Model A radiator???

When looking for front brakes I suggest 46 to 52 F-1 pick up again. They are just about a bolt on to the Model A Ford axle. You will need to update the spindles. What ever spindles you buy you need to match the king pins with them. They will fit right on your A axle once you locate one. Look for 37 39 round back or 46 thru 48 square back spindles. Either will work.

trevorsworth, brEad and RMONTY like this.