Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Priming flathead oil pump/ system

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Need opinions on how I primed my oil pump on 8ba flathead. I bought one of those suction oil/ fluid pumps ,the one that you can stick hose end into a can of oil and pull the handle and fill the pump.I then made a fitting to connect the pump I bought to the oil line coming up from the back of block ( goes to oil sender and oil filter canister) and pumped 1.5 quarts with steady pressure. I have not added oil to filter housing or oil pan. I will need to add 3.5 quarts total ( 1 quart to oilfilter canister , 2.5 quarts to oilpan( crankcase) . Is 1.5 quarts enough for the priming? I plan on spinning engine some with spark plugs out before I actually fire it . thanks for replys.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

you already did more than i ever do with a pump. i have a long funnel made from an old horn trumpet, with a fitting brazed on the end so either it screws into the oil port, or fit a rubber hose on it to the oil port, then dump in a quart of oil and wait. takes about 10-15 minutes to drain down into the pump, and cam bearings, then dump another. then put 3 more in the pan and spin it over. usually have pressure within the first round or two.

3. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

So 1.5 quarts pumped is pretty good? Forgot got to mention mignt be a day ot two brfore I actually turn motor over so was I premature ? If so I will pump more right before I do turn it over . My reason for doing it this way was I thought doing without intake on I would have better access to the oil line and wouldn't chance making a big ole oily mess but as it were I had no drips or mess and had fairly good assess to the oil line. THANKS for your input.

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I only pumped about a qt in when i primed mine. I think you will be fine

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

some folks pack the pump with light grease too. never done it, i just let gravity do the work. put a gauge on and spin it without the spark plugs in and i'm sure you will see pressure immediately.

6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

20200914_195944.jpg Thanks Guys .

dwollam and wheeldog57 like this.
  7. rusty valley

rusty valley

looks pretty fancy to me, i am too cheap...ah.. i mean simple and easy IMG_1328.JPG

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Garpo

Garpo

I use a cheap garden sprayer. The type with a plastic bottle with a pump on top and a short hose to a spray wand. Cut the wand off and add fittings to suit oil gallery.
    Add oil, pump up some pressure, and walk away. My sprayer pump did not seal particularly well, so every time I walked past I gave a few more pumps.
    A couple of quarts primed everything. Instant oil pressure when I hit the starter.
    Have used on a couple of motors. Cheap and effective.

kadillackid and dan c like this.
  9. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Like this .

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Interesting , in Vern Tardel's book about rebuilding flatheads , there is no mention of priming. Thay have a pic and post on pouring the full capacity of oil down thru the lifter valley.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I wonder if the factory primed these motors....

Truck64 likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I've wondered about that, there's no mention of this in factory manuals when replacing an oil pump other than submerge pump in clean engine oil before install.

The oil pump manufacturers for their part say not to stuff the pump with grease. If the engine isn't going to be fired up right away, that seems like a good idea though.

13. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

We've found the best method is to use a "pre-luber" setup, has worked numerous times for us!

The one in the photo below is used when they are near dyno time!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of the one we use, there are other brands that work as well!

Goodson Engine Pre-luber.jpg

rusty valley likes this.
  14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I have heard of folks packing pump with Vaseline, as far as grease my thought is it possible the grease being heavy and somewhat pasty might interfere with some oil passages. I did look back at the Tardel book and when he installed oil pump he said to squirt a half a dozen squirts in the pump to lubricate and help prime.

15. 30Caliber

30Caliber

I've done it both ways pack the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly and get oil pressure quickly. I just purchased an old fire extinguisher and made a pre-oiler that works great with 20 lbs of air pressure pushing the oil through the system. I like this way better and sleep better at night.

I found an older unit like the one in the link for pennies and made my pre-oiler.

https://www.firesupplydepot.com/fas...GxSGt3jUM6zlsHS8mzyi4B5PoS3sP4_xoChQsQAvD_BwE

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Vaseline is petroleum grease. For whatever reason, the oil pump manufacturers say don't stuff their pumps with grease.

17. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

While this is way off the Ford ranch, on my old splasher Hudson engine’s oil pump one of the old timers had me use so 80-90 gear lube. Squirted in the pump & turned it til it was coming out & put her back together, worked well. Again, not a Ford but interesting advice none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.