Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have experience with Bill Hirsch nitro lacquer paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bowties&Birds, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Show us a picture. Is it grit or just flat? Lacquer is so thin you would have to work pretty hard to make it gritty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

When you are done let the paint job sit for a week or so the thinner fumes off before final buffing.
    Do not wax it for about 3 months, this will help to keep it from age cracking.

Bowties&Birds likes this.
  3. [​IMG][​IMG]

Hard to really get an accurate photo.
    I would say the gloss level varies from satin to semigloss.
    The first pass I had the pressure too high and the paint probably way too thick so it went on very rough and dry. Each additional coat was a little better as I got the pressure down and thinned the paint more.

I’ve never seen paint come out of a can this thick before! It doesn’t even come in a regular paint can, it comes in more like a thinner can.

Is there a general guideline for types of thinner and their appropriate temp ranges?
    I will need to buy more, but I want to make sure I get something appropriate for the weather conditions over the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Did get my heater box spray bombed, so some progress was made.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Looks like TCP only sell Med and Slow lacquer thinner. Any recommendations for fast thinner? What temp range does Med work for?

6. Not a chance I would be using fast thinner at 84 degrees. I painted mine at about 20 Celsius which around 68 and the paint was dry before it hit the floor with a medium thinner. You will be spraying dust on the car with a fast thinner at 84. I would bet TCP doesn't sell it because they barely sell any because it is so rarely used.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  7. What kind of gun? Lacquer works best with a regular old suction gun. HVLP not so much.

dsiddons likes this.
  8. I had zero issues spraying it with a HVLP.

9. Slopok

Slopok

S[ow thinner for hot weather, fast for cool and medium for moderate temps. Try a test spray out on a scrap piece of something first. Way too much air pressure was your problem for what I see and too thick also. Don't forget to strain it as well.

loudbang and Bowties&Birds like this.
  10. I believe TCP's part numbers for their lacquer thinners are based on recommended temp ranges. So LT-70 Medium is for 70 degrees and up and LT85 Slow is for 85 and up. At least that's how they use to work.

11. spanners

spanners

I've always mixed lacquer 50-50 at first and then add thinner until I can just read the graduation numbers on the mixing metal stirrer I use through the paint. Yes, I'm old school panelbeater/spraypainter tradesman.

hotrodjack33 and Bowties&Birds like this.
  12. Thanks guys, good info!

The gun is hvlp and so cheap I wasn’t sure if it would atomize the paint properly.
    Too thick paint and too high of air pressure definitely seem like the most probable issues. Thinning the paint and reducing air pressure definitely helped, but the damage was done at that point.
    I’ll sand it down and order some medium temp for cooler weather.
    I know there is a difference in quality of paint guns. From my limited experience it seems personal preference has a lot to do with it though and there are too many options to make any kind of educated guess on what would be a good gun investment for what’s probably a one off lacquer paint job.

13. In general most paint products are designed to work optimally at about 70-75 degrees with medium speed thinners or catalysts.

14. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

3 things can cause the problem you are having : 1. air pressure too high 2. mixture 3. Amount of material coming out of the gun.

Mix as spanners stated above. Stay with a slow-medium thinner. Set up an old panel for testing and play with the above items until it starts to look right. Lacquer is actually the easiest paint to apply

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

IIRC, something like that isn't a disaster, like it is with modern paints. Lacquer actually can dissolve some of the previous paint that you spray it on. Especially if you use more thinner, or a slower thinner. If it's a solid color, no metallic, it will all melt together. Solidified lacquer in a can, will return to liquid if you add thinner, and let it sit.

16. That’s one of the main reasons I went with lacquer. Less than ideal painting conditions (outside under a carport) and having not really painted a car in more than 10 years. Really the worst that can happen is I mess something up and have to sand and reshoot.

Texas57, lothiandon1940 and K13 like this.
  17. I picked up a new paint gun yesterday at harbor freight. It was more than half off because of no box or accessories. Looks in perfect shape otherwise and has really good reviews. So I figured it was probably worth $90, even if I only use it a few times.
    It has a 1.7 cap, probably better for epoxy and maybe the lacquer. My cheapo gun has a 1.4 cap.

Also, I have two gallons of lacquer primer surfacer that I apparently have no use for. Any ideas so it’s not wasted? Only thing I can think of is guide coat since it’s grey.

[​IMG]

18. spanners

spanners

Seal the tins up with some tape around the lid and store them upside down in a cool place and they'll last for years.

19. Not looking to store primer I’m never going to use. I either need to find a use for it or find someone else that can use it.

20. Slopok

Slopok

You're young and just bought a new gun and will probably be painting something else in the future that will require primer. Hang on to it, you can always get rid of it if you don't use it.
    Use it to practice spraying, material is expensive.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    flatford39 likes this.
  21. I would like to keep a stockpile of supplies if I could, but I have limited space, basically my basement to store things inside.
    I’ve already ruined paint supplies having to do military moves in the dead of winter.

22. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Does this stuff lay down satin or semi gloss? And then needs to be worked to a shine? Was looking at antique boat paints recently .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. The areas of paint I got to lay down fairly smooth came out a nice semi gloss.
    That is with slow thinner.

I’m sanding that down now and will try and get a few smoother coats sprayed this weekend and see how that looks.

dsiddons and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over 10 years ago I bought 350 Qts of acrylic lacquer from a United Auto Part that went out of business. I'm still using it to restore antique toys and Pedal Cars.

So far nobody has mentioned you need a line dryer...lacquer HATES moisture. And it HATES humidity. Any thing over 75% humidity and it will start to "haze out"...especially darker colors.

I always use a lacquer primer, mix my paint exactly the way @Spanner says AND I finish up with 2 or 3 coats of clear lacquer. I prefer to do my cutting (400/600), final sand (1000) and buffing on the clear coats rather than the color. ped2.jpg ped1.jpg ped4.jpg

25. ^^^^Beautiful work, Jack.^^^

26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Don, I appreciate that:D
    I restore/build a Pedal Car every year for our club's annual charity car show 50/50/50 raffle. (First ticket drawn gets choice of cash or pedal car, 2nd ticket gets what's left.) It more than triples our 50/50 take:)

I built this Woody pedal car pretty much from scratch (except hood, grille & wheels) from some Curly Maple I had left-over from a Grandfather Clock project. It got us a $4000 50/50 raffle.
    pedal43.jpg pedal42.jpg pedal44.jpg

Attached Files:

27. ^^^Beautiful, Jack!!^^^........I can't believe anyone would turn down one of those for the money. The money would be gone in no time, but that is a piece of art to be treasured by generations.

hotrodjack33 and Bowties&Birds like this.
  28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks once again Don. You're making me blush:p

When the 50/50 pot gets up to $1000-$2000 it's kinda hard to pass that up. They end up taking the $ about half the time.

29. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We did my Signature Pic in a Lacquer and I loved it one of my favorite paint jobs not stupidly shiny, but not a dull flat either it sprayed great and looks awesome with the Black Accents.

30. Looks great. That is what I’m looking for in a paint job.