Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Wee Terry Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Little Terry, Aug 11, 2020.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

If I'm seeing things correctly those rear shock mounts could even be a strictly bolt on application; super neat & a sensible repurposing of available parts.

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Are the bottoms of them below the scrub line?

brady1929 likes this.
  3. Little Terry

Little Terry

They are pretty much on the scrub line at the moment, but need heat and some bending up and inwards (towards the diff) by about 1 1/2" to get them into the right place, so that should take care of it.

1947knuck, brEad and loudbang like this.
  4. Little Terry

Little Terry

I have been spending some time on the rear end and have removed the axle and hubs, backing plates etc, checked it all over and replaced some gaskets. Also given it all a quick blast of paint.

I got it all put back together today and the finished shock mounts are finally fitted in place. All looks ok so far and would have been done much quicker if i hadn't accidentally put the axle back in upside down in my haste to get the rear spring mounted. I made a basic spring spreader from a tracor top link and a couple of bits of angle iron welded to the ends.

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In between times I have been putting some bits together for the motor. I managed to fine a 3x2 intake and a pair of 81a NOS heads. I plan to cut down my 8ba cam and fit a stromberg e-fire distributor.

[​IMG]
    (The 94's dont fit these intakes - I have some 97's to use)
    [​IMG]

A MASSIVE thanks to Travis (F-One) for his help with the water pumps and crank pulley. He sent me some parts for my motor and helped me to sort out the issue I had over the front mounts.
    [​IMG]

I also found this nice old gauge panel which has the right sort of patina for the build
    [​IMG]

I am really enjoying this project so far. Next step is to look at the drive shaft and get that cut down to size.

AHotRod, 1947knuck, 48fordnut and 6 others like this.
  5. redoxide

redoxide

Its all looking great Mark, your making good progress as well . Good to see you are finding help from around the globe. The pumps will definitely save having to make mods to the chassis mounts, or a heath robinson affair to convert the car pumps .

It all looks like its coming along great. Im guessing the axle internals were looking good and the slight issue with the shaft end is going to be fine ?

Would like to see the spreader you made up for the rear spring , I see parts of it laying under the chassis but would be good to see how it worked.. Bet it shocked you just how much these old ford springs will need to extend before they can be fitted .. Tractor ;ink spreader is thinking out the box but its surprising just how often common parts can have an alternative use .. :) Hope you are still finding everything as described and no junk .. :)

Rear shock mounts are cool and a great departure from the usual , really clever , prepare to be copied lol..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Outback and loudbang like this.
  6. Little Terry

Little Terry

No junk here, Ian just treasure!

The axle looks fine - certainly good enough to have a go with.

I’m a bit embarrassed to show pictures of the spring spreader as it’s a bit ‘agricultural’ and was just made to serve a purpose. It worked fine though, once I had greased the threads a bit. Those springs have some power!

I will send you a picture tomorrow. It wouldn’t work with a spring over axle setup because of the diff getting in the way.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  7. I used the same arms for the front shocks as well on my coupe. Great build keep the updates coming.

loudbang and Little Terry like this.
  8. 392

Nice build.

9. Little Terry

Little Terry

So, drive shaft and torque tube is the next job. First stumbling block is the pinion shaft to drive shaft adaptor......

[​IMG]

Is there a simple fix for this, or is it a case of making something to fit? The pinion is 10 spline and the drive shaft is 6 spline. There is also a significant difference in diameter.

1947knuck, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  10. Could be wrong, but I seem to remember an adapter for that. 6 to 10 spline?

Nailhead A-V8 and butch27 like this.
  11. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

If you are going to shorten your drive shaft, cut the drive shaft to length, machine half of the inside length of your 10 spline sleeve to fit over the driveshaft and weld it to the driveshaft.

12. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks Aaron, but the sleeve I have is for a 6 spline. If I can find a 10 spline sleeve I will do as you suggest.
    Cheers
    Mark

13. redoxide

redoxide

petty sure I will have a 10 spline end for you Mark .. will have a look on Thursday and get back to you .. swap you for the 6 spline ;)

brEad and loudbang like this.
  14. Little Terry

Little Terry

If you have, that would solve it, thanks!

15. Little Terry

Little Terry

Here’s the spring spreader, Ian. Ugly but quick and functional.....

[​IMG]

16. Little Terry

Little Terry

There was a plate fitted to the frame for mounting the steering box, but as it was parallel it put the wheel off to one side.

I added some metal to the rear and set it up in the mill. I was able to machine the surface to give me the correct angle. The column now tucks up nicely into the stock location.

[​IMG]

Once I have a steering wheel I will set it up with a new column drop.

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

A great read, a cool coupe & a wonderful attitude! Will be following along!

Little Terry and loudbang like this.
  18. getow

getow

Looks great so far. Good ingenuity to boot.

19. Little Terry

Little Terry

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Little Terry

Little Terry

I’ve been rooting through my old tool boxes to find some column drop inspiration. Narrowed it down to these so far....

[​IMG]

21. getow

getow

I like the combination wrench thats on the column in da pic. Looks like it belongs there really

22. Little Terry

Little Terry

Yes I was thinking the same. If I can slot it and pinch it with a bolt to clamp the column it should work. I can dress it up a bit too, hopefully. No doubt the plan will change a few times before we get to the end!

23. getow

getow

Yea plans tend to change alot, at least for me. By the way, What is that column from?

24. Little Terry

Little Terry

It's an F100 column and box, i believe.

25. getow

getow

Thanks i dont have 1 yet and not sure what route on that im heading. Probly a reversed setup but didnt cross that bridge yet. All in do time. I know i want traditional, not cross.

26. Little Terry

Little Terry

I now have a 10 spline coupler (thanks Ian), that I will adapt to connect to the drive shaft.

Made myself a basic bracket for the hand brake.

[​IMG]

I don’t expect to make much progress today, as I have some ‘helpers’ to look after!

[​IMG]

27. Little Terry

Little Terry

I got a bit more mock-up done at the weekend. The pace of the build has slowed a bit as I seem to spend more time just staring and measuring rather than fabricating. At the moment, looking at the rear wheel well pressings it looks like the body needs to go forward aproximately 1 1/2" which would put me hard against the head and fuel pump, with still a bit to go.
    [​IMG]
    I may have to relieve the firewall a little to allow me to remove the RH head with the body in place. You can see a chalk mark with a potential trim line that would give me a bit more space. I'm still mulling it over for now....

I have a coupler/adaptor for the drive shaft in the works and am waiting for some drag link parts so that I can get that done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once I have got the body in the right place I can pull the motor and start playing with it. The bores all look good, with only one (visible) crack. It will need to be over-bored slightly to remove the top lip, but not a lot.

Just Gary, AHotRod, alfin32 and 5 others like this.
  28. getow

getow

Whats the plan on relieving the firewall? I had an idea to use an air hammer strategically to stretch it a bit on mine. Not sure if its an acceptable plan tho. Lol.
    And are you trying to keep your body in the stock location on da frame, or moving backwards a tad?

29. getow

getow

Sorry lol. I got all excited and didnt throughly read your input. I now realize the body needs to move forward. Look b4 i leap.

Little Terry likes this.
  30. getow

getow

He actually did state in the current specs of the build on the 1st page, that he did extend the frame. How much? Im not sure, but it should of been around 7⅜ inch if i remember correctly. Whats make you think that axle contributed to the 1½ needed for motor clearance? Did i miss something?