Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical School me on torque tube driveline removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, it's all apart. It was fairly simple. I'll start looking into removing the complete torque tube.

2. There is a seal behind the roller bearing at the top of the torque tube. You have to take the beating race out to get to it, it’s split and spring steel a couple small screwdrivers and a pair of needle nose and you can pull it out.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ok fellas, I just got through installing one of of Bruce’s Rod Shop seals in the torque tube. I have a dumb question.

When I slid the torque tube forward all the pieces for the front bearing, speedo gear etc. flew out. My buddy Dan sent me a pic of how it is all supposed to go back together, but I have one question.

Does the circlip on the front not have a groove it is supposed to snap in? I can’t find one. Does the clip just rode on the splines?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

LOOK AT THE PHOTOS HERE;
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71488&highlight=speedometer+gear+clip

kadillackid likes this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, do all drive shafts have the groove? I didn't see one on my 32 shaft. I will look again.

6. alchemy

alchemy

If you have a 32 shaft in a Model A it was probably shortened to fit. Maybe they cut new splines but forgot to cut the ring groove?

Actually a 32 driveshaft is a small tube with forged solid ends welded on, so my hypothesis isn't really likely. They would probably just have cut a weld, shortened the tube, then welded the end back on.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

This was a welded tube as you say. I don't know much about this early torque tube stuff, so not really sure what I am looking at about half the time.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As I recall, my 40 driveshaft had a groove. Ask your question on Fordbarn.
    You could use a cut off wheel to very carefully cut a groove.
    Start with a small Dremel tool and go very slow.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

its gotta have a groove, they all did. the only bad possibility would be if they made the drive shaft too short, and now you have made it a smidge shorter by adding the seal at the back end. i've not had one of those, but i know they are highly accepted to be good, cant be too thick or we would have heard some bitching. in my experience shortening several shafts, the splines at the front should end up flush with the end of the bell, and the slight crown on the very end will be about 1/8" past, or outside the end. if some one made it too short, you may run out of space for the snap ring, but the groove has to be there...look again

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I see that vent was made in Canada!

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Will do ...

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

in the other thread posted the guy has the thrust washer on the wrong side of the speedo gear. if you follow Macs picture you're doin good. did you find a groove for the snap ring?

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

When I took my 1940 torque tube apart, I placed the parts on a piece of cardboard
    in the same order as when I removed them. Reinstalled them the same way.
    The arrow points to the front of the torque tube. The circlip (not shown) fits in front of the speedo gear.
    IMG_9334.JPG

15. Perhaps something isn't seated all the way, so the groove is not visable?

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll pull the pieces and look again. I'll snap a pic.

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK guys. I am getting ready to go back together with the motor/tranny this weekend. Can someone post pics of the way the 32 clam shells go together? I am wondering if I should pack on the bench? The 32 is a one piece instead of 2 I guess. I am just wanting to make sure I don't forget anything.

There have been a lot of parts laying around for a month or longer.

Thanks

18. alchemy

alchemy

Paper gasket on back of trans case, then rear mount. Bolts and safety wire. Install the U joint with washer and bolt. Then paper gasket and inner cone over the studs. Slide the assembled rearend into the U joint. Oops, back it up and slide a paper gasket over the outer edge of the inner cone, then the rearend goes back in. Then the wiper gasket is placed in the small ID of the clamshell. Then slide the clamshell forward and nut it on.

Some guys swear by the new style rubber hose gasket in the back edge of the clamshell, but I haven't tried one yet. I can tell you the stock cork kind will let grease weep out.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am a little confused. According to this drawing, I don't see the groove we talked about earlier or the cork seal. I don't remember seeing one when I disassembled it.

[​IMG]

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

that drawing shows the C clip, or snap ring, what ever you like, but it does not show the groove in the shaft ! its there, gotta be, 28 until the end, 48. it holds the speedo gear and the bearing in place. really, you have had it apart and cleaned, and not found a groove? was there a clip in there when you took it apart?

21. alchemy

alchemy

The cork seal is what comes stock in the fold at the back edge of the "outer housing cap", or what we call the clamshell. The bell of the torquetube has its lubing grease held in by the cork. At least that's the intent.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I get that but I was surprised that it didn’t show up in the drawings.

As far as the groove goes, I am going to look for that again today. There was a clip but it just slid off. I didn’t pay much attention when it came apart.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, I found the cork. It was flat and looked like part of the casting.

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The old cork seal is not as good as the modern replacement.
    It's on Ebay.

Attached Files:

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s the one I have.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Success!! You guys were absolutely correct. There was a snap ring groove. I had to disassemble everything and reseat it all. It wasn’t centered in the bushing. It’s all good now. Crisis averted. Viva La Hamb!!!!! 0AB9FBFA-912B-4B3B-87CD-9B7F1BDAEC05.jpeg

27. Go schooling there guys....thanks !

Roothawg likes this.
  28. that should be - Good schooling...........

Roothawg likes this.
  29. rusty valley

rusty valley

one step closer to being on the road

Roothawg likes this.
  30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Goody gum drop. Glad it worked out.
    Fill the clam shell with John Deere corn head grease.

Roothawg likes this.