Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Corvair Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Look at the bright side..... At least you're famous! :D

2. Pharouh

Pharouh

What's the matter with customizing Corvairs? Try to think of a car that hasn't been customized.:confused:

Amphicars come to mind,but that's about it. :eek:

3. Yugo!

And if you find one you need to get a life! :p

4. Pharouh, there is a thread on here recently where a studebaker frontend was put on an amphicar, so guess again.

Also naders book didn't get published until 65, after gm had updated and addressed the 60-63's issues on the rear suspension. the 64's were fixed, then 65-9 had the vette like rears. Nader did less to kill the vair than the 'normal' american cars, the chevy II and similar did more to hurt sales than the nader bs.

I was in the same boat as the OP, i had always ignored them, just didn't do anything for me and for some reason app 6 yrs ago, i saw my 62 and decided it looked pretty cool and have had a blast with it. i have also picked up a 64. I am not normal and like the earlys better than the lates

5. Bonez I was hoping you were going to post on this. I am in love with those. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight now:eek:

Rad!

I know I want one with kustom body work, hydraulics and reversed Cragars:cool:

6. Pharouh

Pharouh

Damn I must have missed that. No,that's OK, I don't want to see it...
    I've seen the 80's Thunderbird with the 49 Ford front end. That's scary enough.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

sarcasm rarely works on the internet...but he was joking. NotStock has a custom corvair van, its pretty badass

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I dont like this one a single bit.
    All work is oustanding and not a single nut was overlooked. But its lost the old car feel completley imo. I can dig modern lowriders but i have such an appreciation for the Corvairs that i cant feel this one. sorry, i kno im sorta alone on this.

Thanx :) havent slept well too since i think '08 when i fist seen the Drag'n'shop car LOL
    Your plans are similar to mine, but i bet you'll start way before i'll ever lay my eyes on one. Lookin fwd to it.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Love the old Corvairs especially the early models. They had a distinctive look all their own. For custom touches they seem to respond to mods in the sports car direction. In their day there were lots of speed, performance and handling accessories available, in some circles they were known as the poor man's Porsche.

As far as Ralph Nader goes, I have never been able to figure out why it was OK for him to investigate General Motors but not OK for General Motors to investigate him. Anyone who has read his book knows it was nothing but second hand industrial gossip, mostly gleaned from GM's own files, about defects that had long since been corrected. In 1972 the US government paid for tests to find out if the Corvair was really a danger on the roads. The tests proved the Corvair was no more dangerous than any other car, and safer that a lot of cars on the road. The report was quietly buried. By that time the Corvair had run its course anyway.

One effect Nader had, was to kill the possibility of real innovation in the auto industry for a generation. If you ever wonder why Detroit made such crappy, cautious "me too" cars and let the Japanese eat their lunch between 1965 and 1985, Nader is as much to blame as anybody.

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

11. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020