Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which headlight? 1930 Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

When i bought this car it came with extra parts. The pass side headlights were on the car. I think original model A. The driver side were in a box labeled Vintique. But who knows.

Which do you think looks better for the car? I know it should be what i like, but i am on the fence. I think the driver side are 32?

Thanks
    headlight side shot .JPG front headlight.JPG

bchctybob and dana barlow like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Passenger side for sure. Passenger side is Model A drivers side is an aftermarket. Definately not a 32.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yup.
    not a '32, too small...
    the smaller light sort of goes with the dropped headlight bar... the A doesn't as much...
    the left side light will "see" better at night,
    if you have an extra beat up A headlight and half a head light bar, run a house current light socket into the bucket, you may have to sacrifice the reflector, paint the inside gloss white, slap on the lens [cracked lens will work] and use it as an outside light... it will light all of yours and the neighbor's yards... years ago I made one for camping... our club campers asked me to set it up to light the campfire/party area... it was like a streetlight, worked great,

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. The small one looks like a repop King Bee. It uses sealed beam & will broad cast light
    better. You should use the one YOU like better.

5. belair

belair

The big ones will fill up the front end, almost crowding out the grille. The small ones will leave some space, letting the grille stand out more to my eye. The big lights make the grille look shorter and the front end more narrow, the small lights do the opposite. That said, I like aspects of each. No help from me, I guess.

6. On a fendered rod I like the stock A lights.

Phil

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  7. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

I agree the original light looks better.
    And that pic makes me want a '30 coupe to go with my '30 Sedan! Good looking coupe!

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Right side looks like a truck headlight. Commercial lights I believe are bigger. I think they used truck headlights on the ZZ Tops eliminator coupe.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Stock Model A headlight looks best

55zephyr likes this.
  10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Passenger side for me.

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

depends on how much you drive at night. one is a sealed beam, the original is not

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Neat A.

I like the smaller lights.

nochop likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you go with the big lights, it would look better without that adapter with the seal beam behind the old lens. I agree with the small light crowd.

rusty valley likes this.
  14. Personally, I like the larger lights.

[​IMG]\

Used with the new Bob Drake halogen light replacement reflectors the lights will be superior to a sealed beam. HRP

[​IMG]

pprather and Dino 64 like this.
  15. rusty valley

rusty valley

good eye goldmountain, i did not see the sealed beam hiding in there ! i have those on one of my A's, they work good at night, and can even fool me it would seem !

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I vote for the stock A lights.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ben,,
    .I like that "A",real nice chop an over all look,with OHV V8 neatly placed.
    I built my own first hot rod in late 1950s,an worked on a good number of buddy's rods too.
    As for head lights,your using OHV V8=pegs it around 1960 rod styling ,an nearly all hot rodders of 50s n 60s knew 1920 n 30s headlights worked poorly/read that as worked for crap!. So those big old blops were put in the trash can.
    We used 7in. sealbeams ,a number of aftermarket 7in. sealbeam's in nice small buckets were around,beside working well,they also looks racy=lite an low air drag vs old n bulky. Point is,in the 50s n 60s most of us hot rod builders trashed,lights that didn't work well then,so the smaller 7in. bucket type are the right look of a hot rod that represents 50s to 60s rod styles. If you total cover up V8 an go for a stock look of the 30s with thin wheels too,,go for the bigger stock lights.
    Today seems trendy for those that don't know history*,to use big old ugly headlights. Stating how they love the look! Well the only save in that,is the're upgrade better bulbs an even repop old over sized lights now that do light the road.
    If you know history I just told you,an the fact that as of 1940 all cars n trucks were by law around the USA , updated to 7in. sealbeams. It may fill a gap.

18. 2935ford

2935ford

Stock A lights.

55zephyr likes this.
  19. BLC headlights from the forties are very traditional, look good on Model A’s, are readily available, and use standard sealed beam lights.

[​IMG]

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Small, looks traditional, looks hod rod.

bchctybob and dana barlow like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What blue is that?

22. I can't make up my mind........
    so leave it like it is with one of each. :rolleyes:

23. Another vote for the stock light.

24. 392

25. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Definitely stock A lights.
    Ron.

26. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

27. olds vroom

olds vroom

My vote is the stock headlight

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Andulusite Blue, the original color of the body. A little bit of the redness of the original formula has been removed to make it a stronger blue

nochop likes this.
  29. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

like the A light,
    but with the stock lens re-bending the angle, the sealed beam was designed to magnify and dispearse the light on its own... doing it again is too much...
    it will be great looking in both ditches but a few carlengths out is about all...
    to quote a new England rodder with a paisley painted '34 fordor [parabolic refraction]...

30. bubba55

bubba55

If you can't do what's right
    Do what's left

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

daylatedollarshort likes this.