Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 54 Bel air 350 and transmission swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert Braun, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Never seen one plastic cable end break? I didn’t necessarily mean the cable. Used to see it all the time when I worked at an independent trans shop. I’m not trying to incite an argument, just my opinion the 350 is less trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope.

And like Sir-Mix-a-Lot says: "plastic parts are for toys".

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. sdluck

sdluck

I have worked on a lot of street rods and pass cars with 700r4,never saw a cable break when the geometry was correct or even wrong,I was a mechanic for the city of San Jose we had lots of impala cop cars,if the police couldn't break them in 100,000,nobody can,plus fleet vehicles trucks etc. My neighbor had some kind of ford years maybe a fairmont it broke the plastic clip on the cable but I don't know the history of that car.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. I’ve seen at least 3 maybe more that where broken in the trans shop I worked at.

Ok ..... maybe it was me as an over zealous apprentice wanting that tranny out in under 20 minutes like the seasoned guys would do!!!!

my boss was a very patient man and a great teacher !o_O

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. As far as trans choice a th350 700r4 or 200r will all bolt in with simple cross member fab.

my choice would be the 200 for od 2nd the 350 for simplicity and cost of rebuild.

Any of these trannies can be built in stock for for well under $1000 bucks by any reputable tranny shop if you supply the core and do the re&re

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. elba

elba

Put a 350 in it with a 400 converter . Gives you one more qt of fluid. Shifts and idles just like the 350 . I didn't run a cooler, just a line to the in and out. This was in a 38 Chev sedan. Ran that combo for more than 50, 00 miles with out any problems. If I raced it or towed a trailer it would have a cooler . Been a while but I think it held 10 1/2 qts of fluid .

7. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Plastic end at the carb/ throttle body would break. Someone made a metal replacement to repair them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam