Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tools & What Not...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think the point is simply that the tools discussed here will be something that while they may be usable in other endeavors (like a welder or a wrench), they WILL have a use for an automobile. You will not have hundreds of tool threads to sort through, and you won't be hearing about concrete mixers, wood planers, chainsaws,wheel barrows, airless paint sprayers and on and on. There are so many threads on the garage journal, its really kinda hard to follow because new threads pop up on the same subject and you may have 3 or 4 different threads on one subject. The same questions will probably surface here again and again, but a lot less chance that there will be multiple ones on the same tool at the same time. Not impossible, but less likely. Then if someone feels they want even more input, they can go to the Garage Journal and for additional information.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I think it is fine to allow tool related items if it has to do specifically with building traditional Hot Rods. I find the metal shaping thread is awesome, you couldn’t have it without them showing some of their tools. If I want to see comparisons or other strictly tool related stuff I’ll go to that heading in the Garage Journal, which is also a wealth of information from people of different backgrounds than the H.A.M.B.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

continentaljohn likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So, to not sound at all negative about this I edited my earlier post.

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe, but as long as the threads stay HAMB on topic .... which is the default condition.... posting on the main board should be fine. Right?

ekimneirbo likes this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have gleaned a lot of information from the Garage Journal concerning tools and fabrication over the years, but I have exceptional Google-fu when it comes to searching for stuff, so that helps. There are a bunch of really knowledgeable folks over there, and some keyboard commandos... just like here!:D

I religiously follow tool and fabrication related threads here when they pop up, as they are more specific to my interests. I think it is a great idea to have the freedom to post on that subject. I would prefer a section for tool related stuff out of convenience, but it seems like more work for the moderators, so I am good with whatever adds the least amount of work for them.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  6. Sure ! Why not ?
    Although, given the content of threads here seem to drift frequently from the topic ( ElCamino pictures thread with Rancheros, custom Utes and whatever someone thinks is relevant) i think you need real concrete guidelines for the moderators to fallow.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very interesting and as a member of the Hamb ,fordbarn and garage Journal . I find each one has its own identity as its titled . Now the hamb has been about the building of traditional hot rods . While in the past it was focused on more hands on in my opinion with tech week and awesome builds. So the calloused hands of hamb members weren’t developed by talk and tapping on keyboards . TOOLs are used for building things like hotrods fixing hot rods and just building cool a&& stuff. So Henry Ford included a tool kit in his model a fords for a reason , stuff needs attention and sometimes brakes. As said by @rusty valley hot rods carry tools in a box , bag or tool roll they are necessary .
    While the moderators have a dauntless task of keeping member on track and thank you for doing a great job. Talk of cheap tools from harbor freight I dont get and I wouldn’t miss seeing it posted . Now talk of homemade tools thread from @kustombuilder long ago is awesome. I was just reading a build thread by @CTaulbert on his amazing skills and talent he made a cool hinge pin tool. Very cool and going to make one soon thank you Cory.
    Yeah tools try to build something without them........

8. Good idea Ryan! Tools (especially related tools) is a good topic to ad to this forum! I like the idea of not having to look all over the place to find stuff.

I, like most guys on here are back yard mechanics. That's NOT to say that we don't know what we're doing, we just don't want to invest in a "Tool-Truck" just to supply tools for our love and interest in hot rods.

Same goes for a machine shop, same goes for a garage, body shop, etc. I don't really need or want to own a dealership just to build and maintain my hot rod (although it would be nice sometimes).

We all have different interests in this hobby, and mine is to build it, drive it and maintain it. Driving it just makes my day! I don't even have to have a specific place to go. I just love to burn gas! (Maybe I should own a gas station!)

But if something goes down, I like the feeling that I know what it is and I can probably fix it, before it coasts to a stop.

I do have several tools, even specialty tools, and I like to work inside if I can, but I don't have to own frame jig to build a hot rod, when I can rent or borrow one (which I did).

I do like the idea of knowing how to do a valve job, boring cylinders, reaming king-pin bushings, welding, painting, upholstery, etc. but I don't have to do it all myself. There are many qualified people everywhere.

Back in the day I worked at a well known MC dealership in our town and there was a sign over the shop door that read: "I've done so much, with so little, for so long, that I can do just about anything with nothing!" That pretty much applied to me!

Thanks for this forum, it's probably the best one on the subject!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The problem with the Garage Journal is that not all of the tool information is pertinent to automobiles. I've actually used the Garage Journal far more for tips and reviews on tools and processes in the course of various home remodeling projects than I have anything car-centric. And that's great.

I think a lot of tool talk on the HAMB comes less from the reviews of the tools themselves rather than the tools necessary to perform a task. The conversation is naturally going to flow to the discussion of various tools, and IMHO that's very much on-topic. For example, a conversation about flaring brake lines that discusses the Eastwood flaring kit vs. the hydraulic flaring kit. I will admit it's a fine line, but I also think even semi-off-topic conversation about what welders to buy or what body hammers we like and why is still more on-topic than threads like, "Is your car possessed by ghosts" or, "Should I put lake pipes on my 64 Comet?"

Crazy Steve, ekimneirbo and Cosmo49 like this.