Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tools & What Not...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We should be able to talk about Fords here even though you have a Ford Barn. Same with tools. Here`s my saw-zaw paint can shaker. IMG_20200608_0002.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes it isn't the tool as much as it is correctly using it to accomplish a common task that we as rodders do quite often. Even if you have the Eastwood flare tool (and I do) there are still some things you need to do to insure that your flares are better. Those same things apply to the simple flare tools too though.
    Same with bending tubes for brake or fuel lines. I've bent a lot of lines in the last 55 years and still could learn a few tricks. I've got a collection of benders and some kinkers too.

Using the correct style of Ford brake hub puller and then using the other kind that you normally use on a Mopar rear that doesn't work well on a Ford.

What ever it is it should apply to actually working on our HAMB friendly rods and tasks that may be more hot rod or custom car building rather than general shop practices.

I was on the 35 wire spacer thread a few minutes ago and The OP has a set of Vern Tardel's spacer rings. I had to go look them up on his site and then discovered that they recommend welding them on to the wheels. That is something that guys need to know before they paint or powdercoat the wheels before ordering the rings.

kidcampbell71, fauj and ekimneirbo like this.
  3. Home made tool discussion has lived on here forever and worked out well. Most of those posts relate well to forum focus, and as such it's allowed to live on. My thought is,that as long as that model is utilized related tool discussions should be considered. Stuff to avoid should be obvious......No crap about hot rod themed flower beds or the 9 billionth discussion about .."will my new Mr. Heater run on propane or natural gas?" Arrgh!!!!!!!.the answer is Yessss !!!!Dammit.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think with a clear stance on the topic that after a short while the moderators will have to steer and edit the related posts less and less as we get an idea of what is out of bounds and end up self policing so to speak.

I think @IronTrap does a fantastic job of integrating the topic on their you tube channel with the re occurring “tools that don’t suck” features and the occasional videos like the recent “top five tools you need to build these cars”

the balance of the content is far and away hands on hot rod building and hunting for the associated goods.

you kinda can’t talk about building hot rods and not talk about tools but you don’t want your forum being over run. I think we get it.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Lets mention an example of a common topic that pops up every so often on the Hamb. Buying a welder. Now a welder is somewhat generic in its uses and could be discussed on the Garage Journal..........but the guy wanting to buy a welder is new to welding and wants a machine that is basically going to be used for building his car project.
    Do you think the answers he gets on the Hamb will be more specific than what he would get on the Garage Journal?
    He will get info from both sites, but most likely he will get a lot of specific examples and friendly chatter on the Hamb, and instead of watering down Hamb content, I believe it actually improves the Hamb. One of the favorite threads here is the one on "Homemade Tools", and I know I enjoy scanning thru it and getting new ideas. I think discussion of tools should just be part of the general content rather than setting up a specific Subform. Then it doesn't have to be monitored and constantly moved from the general input .........its just another part of a great site.;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Thank you for considering the idea, it's just a thought but sliding the "Tools, and what not" in under the banner of MISC. along with the Antiquated would keep it separate from the main forums. HRP

dana barlow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. I like the idea,
    I recently had some questions about some flathead specific tools (KD valve stuff) and was hesitant to ask here...in any of the forums.
    Chappy

8. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

One post to ask a question but no intro? Guys get the same response here when they just barge in the door without saying hi. :rolleyes:

9. That's not always the case. I have been a member of the Ford Barn since 2010 and I have had several questions go unanswered, I don't think the guys over there snub anyone but I think they just may not have the answer.

I realized a long time ago people join the Hamb looking for knowledge they can't find elsewhere and many of the Hamb members are always willing to help out if they can or try to point the newbie in the right direction. HRP

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Only time I got any info from the Ford barn I found it on a Google search. Looked around it and Garage Journal both a bit, but never went so far as to join or post anything. I'm not a restorer and I can't afford high dollar tools, Y'all would probably call me a shadetree hack if you looked in my tool boxes....

RMONTY likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So, I guess I'll ask, could this be set as a "sticky"?
    No dedicated thread yet other than discussion about a possible tool thread.
    What would the thead title be called?

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I always worked to acquire more/better (not necessarily brand name) tools and have a sizeable collection now. That said, it simply pisses me off when I see guys with minimal tools who seem to be able to do anything I can do.......and better! :confused:

13. Slopok

Slopok

How about "Tool Time"?;)

i.rant, tb33anda3rd and X-cpe like this.
  14. badshifter

badshifter

Those numbers all relate to a 5 inch Wilton vise.
    Maybe a model 645.
    Isn't this tool thread great?

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I can relate! My stuff is a mishmash of brands, piled into the box drawers. I have my 3/8” stuff in one drawer, my 1/2” stuff in another, my SAE standard wrenches in another box with the metric wrenches in the next drawer. No fancy tool holders for me, no sir, I just pile them in the drawer and then have to sort through them to find the one I want! I buy stuff when I need to, recently bought a torx socket set to replace the Lisle stuff I’ve broke and lost. I’m totally unorganized, but I get by! Just think what I’d get done if I had stuff organized!

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Question...
    So this would be discussions mainly about manufactured tools, correct?
    In other words, discussions about home built tools and equipment is allowed and always has been, correct?

I ask because I just finished building a compressed air cooling/water-extraction system, and I was going to post a thread.
    Okie smokie?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I agree that information from our hands-on buddies here is best.

18. I equate going to the Garage Journal for information on a specific tool need like asking a employee at the big box store that normally works in the plumbing to recommend the correct gauge wire for running 220 to my new Miller welder.

I am sure the guys on the Garage Journal are well versed in what they do daily and I don't dispute that but I tend to trust the hoodlums here, the people that build cars.

I don't want to sound like I'm anti garage journal, they are a good source for things that could be considered off topic here, I joined in 2010.

If I need to ask about a table saw when I decide to build furniture, Like that's going to happen then the garage journal would be my first stop. HRP

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lots of choices for posting here Ricky.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=the...msung-nf-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

20. Your close mindedness precludes you from a wealth of information.

21. fortynut

fortynut

Some want to throw the baby out with the bath water. At least give this one a chance before getting out your belts to chastise it for things you imagine it is going to do. Even if it does discuss 'Horrible Fright' stuff, and fusses over the best, or worst, at least it will be here, and be ours to nettle over as it lurches forward. Admins take life too seriously, anyway. Ryan asked a simple enough question and said, 'yes'. I'm happy with his foward thinking and proud, as a HAMBer to have something useful. Because, if anything, building stuff requires tools. And, trust me, I have worked with stuff that even Job would have thrown against the wall and uttered blue expletives.

22. If that is what you conclude from my reply that was not my intent, you also left out the part about needing information on what would be considered off topic here, it is not my intention to discredit you or the garage journal but I would appreciate receiving the same common curtsy in return. HRP

Truckdoctor Andy and 3W JOHN like this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

That's bull shit!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  24. There are probably as many if not more professional mechanics and fabricators on the Garage Journal as there are here with a pile of knowledge about the tools used in those professions. The same tools used to "build cars". To make comments like this "I equate going to the Garage Journal for information on a specific tool need like asking a employee at the big box store that normally works in the plumbing to recommend the correct gauge wire for running 220 to my new Miller welder." shows you have no idea what goes on on the Garage Journal and certainly doesn't show any courtesy.

stanlow69 likes this.
  25. Deadbird

Deadbird

Now that's a neat idea!

26. The statement was merely used as a metaphor, nothing more,nothing less, you seem to have taken offence.

I don't understand why this part of my comment was omitted, " I don't want to sound like I'm anti garage journal, they are a good source for things that could be considered off topic here, I joined in 2010."

With your condescending attitude I personally don't think I'm missing anything.

Lets just agree to disagree before this escalates, I have my opinion and you have yours, I am not a professorial mechanic and never professed to be. HRP

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like in 2 pages this is starting to go down a rabbit hole. I went ahead and deleted my prior posts about the Garage Journal. In retrospect, they were not constructive or on topic. My suggestion is that we keep on topic so this thread can continue. JMHO.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, @DDDenny
    Just took some more pictures. Got it all hooked up. Ready to take her for a test spin.
    PS... just followed your link. Holy cow... LOTS of homemade tools.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You know know those threads are coming .:oops:

30. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Maybe just include a link to the Garage Journal in the list of forums? I know it's at the bottom of the page under the Atomic Industry banner, but that may not be as obvious and adding the link seems simple enough.