Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Subframe quality

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Sep 10, 2020.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I'm getting ready to take my next step and buy a sub rail kit or an assembled sub frame. I read on hear (but it was years ago ) that the fitment on the Brookville parts were not that good. Also I see Howell sheet metal in TX makes a kit. Spoke to Brookville they were very patient with my questions and seem to be great guys. Not being a fabricator I'm trying to make the right call on where to buy. Appreciate any advice

2. flatford39

flatford39

Howell's???? Run Forrest run....If you want to be totally aggravated beyond your limits go ahead and order from them. If he has them in stock you might get them in a couple of months. If not you could wait 6 months to a year to receive them. Do a search for Howells here and you will see all the horror stories.

Tman likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

1. Refresh our memory on what you need a subframe for??
    2. If you are buying from Howell's-only buy something a distributor has in stock. ordering one made will only result in the another sad thread like the ones FF39 mentions above.

flatford39 and Bandit Billy like this.
  4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to do your research, do a Google Search on Howells Hamb; you'll find a ton of threads.

My takeaway from these threads over the years has been that Howell's generally make good pieces, but their fulfillment kinda sucks.

Many recommend that you find a vendor that sells Howell's pieces, or find a piece listed by Howell's on eBay. Ebay or the vendor will see to it the order is fulfilled. Seems Howell's does a better job of keeping their volume-vendors happy than they do taking care of one-off Joes.

flatford39 likes this.

5. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Look to get for a 30/31 Ford Roadster

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Brookville are fine. Ordered dozens of them for customers over the years. You gotta study how an A is put together. There are some tips and tricks. Having a good stock body that isn't rusted out to study helps a ton

7. I'm using Brookville sub rails right now on my '30 coupe. I'm very happy. I have also ordered from Howell's and experienced e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d wait time. Their quality if fine but for whatever reason they continue to step on their own dick in the customer service area. My experience.

olscrounger likes this.
  8. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Check out Steadfast.

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Tam's has subrails that fit. I did not ask where he gets them but they work. Screenshot_20200910-161449_Chrome.jpg
    I just learned how to screenshot, my first one.

10. Howell is not top of the heap, Brookville any day of the week for me. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  11. chargin03

chargin03

Anybody but Howells!