Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wire wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Littlejake, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Littlejake

Littlejake

Time to mount my 35 Ford wire wheels on 40 Ford drums. So I bought wire wheel spacer rings from Vern Tardel. I see that several vendors are selling a more fancy wire wheel spacer (Speedway part # 91065470) that sells for about the same price as the rings. The two parts appear to serve the same function. Any opinions on rings vs spacers?

2. If your studs are short that may determine which way you should go.

Charlie Stephens

3. alchemy

alchemy

I bought the kind that have the plate that fits around the studs. That way it stays in place when the wheel is being put on. It works fine on my 40 front hubs and 48 rear hubs.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Take a look at MT products, they have the correct plate for what you are doing.

toptenmoe likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chappy444 likes this.
  6. Littlejake

Littlejake

Thanks for the replies, guys. The rings are traditional and the spacer plates might be considered to be after market parts. The plates are easier to install (no welding). Think I'll stick with the Vern Tardle rings.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

First use of 'rings' to seat V8 wire wheels on late drums were actually Model 'A' compression rings...

(firsthand info from Al Marseline, 1924-0000)

stillrunners likes this.
  8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I used this style. I have 40 hubs and Model A Spindles. Studs were long enough on the front, too short in the back. Put longer studs on the back. [​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  9. dwollam

dwollam

If ya have access to a brake lathe or a big regular lathe you can turn those adapters off of the original steel Model A rear drums. I have store bought ones on my 31 coupe and another set my son in law cut on an old brake lathe. Both work great!

Dave

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only rub I see with the Tardel Rings that you weld on is that all too many guys don't think about the need for spacers or rings until they already have the wheels painted or powder coated and have the tires mounted on them. Looking at and A drum cutting the drums probably wouldn't be a big deal if you had a pile of worn out used drums and a lathe and didn't have to pay someone to do it.

Model A rear drum.jpg

11. dwollam

dwollam

Mr48, I do have Model A drums around! Doesn't anyone that owns a stock A or previously stock A? By now 99.9% ofthe originals are junk.

Dave

12. chiro

chiro

Keep in mind that the '35 wheels still may hit the balancing weights welded onto the drums, especially the rears. They did on mine. I knocked off the balancing weights and use balancing beads in the tires instead of the fugly clamp on weights. That way the wheel/tire/drum combo is balanced dynamically while driving.
    Andy

13. alchemy

alchemy

It was common for the 48 era (outtie) hubs and drums to have balance weights welded to the outside in the way of the rim's mounting lip. I cut mine off and haven't experienced any vibrations.

The 40 era (innie) hubs and drums usually have the weights welded to the outer face where they won't be in the way.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  14. modified1927

modified1927

I'm using both, I'm running 9" rear with 10" drums and have spacers to keep the Kelsey's hub from interfering with the drum. I use the Speedway centering plate on the spacer on the spacer... on the front I just use a narrow spacer to mount 16" Dodge Budd wheels to 9.25" Mustang II disks. I can take some pictures if needed

15. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Running the Speedway "spacers" on my Model A with '35 wires and Lincoln brakes. Stock rearend. Didn't need new wheel studs or anything, it all just bolted up. It seems like it would be awfully easy for the uninitiated to weld those Tardel rings cockeyed on the wheel, which would be "interesting".

At the end of the day, you just want to support the wheel so that when it's bolted up, the lug nuts aren't pulling the center of the wheel inwards; it rests evenly against the drum (or spacer) as Henry intended.

16. 343w

343w

If using a 1959 Ford 9" rear with adaptor plates for the KH wheel bolt pattern are the spacer plates still required? I would think the adaptors would offset the wheel enough.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Take a look at the mounting surface of the wheel and you will see the higher level adjacent to the center hole. That’s where the support ring or spacer helps. So no, just an adapter on your 9” won’t be enough.

18. dwollam

dwollam

There are some bolt pattern adapters that do have the raised centers for the early Ford Wires. I have seen them but don't remember where. :( Sorry.

Dave

19. Foothillspeedshop

Foothillspeedshop

This will work with 28-35 wire wheels.

Attached Files: