Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6V to 12V generator guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Hines, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Does anyone know a guy or a shop that can convert my 1953 F100 truck 6V generator to 12V? I am converting to 12V for other reasons and kind of live in the moddle of no were. I dont have a shop around me that I know of. Maybe there is on in Wichita Ks? I am hoping that like most things, there is a "guy" somewere that does this?

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I still have a generator system on my '64, and from reading quite a bit about this in general it was very common back in the day to simply install a 12 volt regulator without changing anything else. So long as there aren't any unusual current demands the 6 volt generator will work fine on 12 volts. The current output will be reduced.

Now there will be people who will tell you that while this might work very well in real life, it can't possibly work in theory, so don't do it, don't try installing a Fosgate subwoofer system or something like that.

Driver50x, VANDENPLAS and Doug Hines like this.
  4. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

dan c likes this.

5. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I have heard that too. Thanks for your good help.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Doug post your location,some one near might help.

warhorseracing likes this.
  7. brading

brading

I take it that you know that you will need voltage droppers for your gauges and heater motor. Change all your bulbs to 12v. Your 6v starter motor should be okay with 12v powering it.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm using a mid 60's Ford 12 volt generator with the mounting flanges cut off and a guide hole drilled for the pin on my 8BA flathead with the stock mount plugs.jpg . A friend ran it on his 40 ford with a 8BA until he installed an electric fan that drew too much current. Hid the regulator under the dash, I have a simple car, lights and ignition is about it.

dan c, Petejoe and AVater like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Mine is a stock 40 Ford generator that I want to change to 12 volts. Others have said that I only need to swap my original field coil to one from later 12v generator. Is this correct? If so, is the above conversion to utilize a bearing vs. bushing as well as change the voltage or must it all be changed?
    Thanks, Eddie

10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

12 volt field windings and a pre 62 Voltage regulator is all you need.
    And as said before,change all the bulbs etc
    C and G in San Diego sells the field windings

11. brading

brading

Just a thought. Do not know if it is the same with generators over there but over here the field windings are held in with a big screw that is very tight. I know they use a special rig to get that screw out and in. If that were me I would go the " Model A Gomez " way, lot easier.

12. brading

brading

13. jaracer

jaracer

When I was in auto school, the electrical instructor told us how to make a tool for field coil screws. He had an old valve out of an engine that he ground one side of the valve head flat, the other side into a shape to fit the screw slot. He then took the field housing and put it in a vise with the valve being held in the screw slot by the vise. He then used the long valve stem as a lever to loosen the screw. It worked pretty good.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That field coil screw removal nutroll is likely another reason why people declined in the first place. That, and nobody wants to spend money unnecessarily. If replacing the regulator with a 12 volt unit works, little wonder by garsh, that's what people did. Go ahead and try it, take one for the team and see. Let us know.

15. Google 12V fields for your generator. Unless there is still a generator shop in your area (there should be). All it takes to make your current gennie 12v is to change the fields and source the proper regulator.

16. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Seems to be an echo in here

17. brading

brading

From what I have read on this Forum yes you can use a 12v regulator with a 6v generator but sooner or later you will burn out he field coils. Do it once do it properly 12v generator and a 12v regulator, you do not want to be stranded miles from home

18. Or a consensus :D

19. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks for all the good info. I live near Wichita Ks. So if anyone knows of a shop near there that can do this work let me know. I have had apart a few electric motors and generators and just don't like working on that stuff. BTW I did find a guy on Ebay that does this kind of rebuilding/modifying.

20. google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=tS...4xLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab

21. I just used a Ford 12 volt generator circa 1957-'58 and mounted it in the regular 6-volt bracket using the 6-volt strap. Worked out well. I've been running this set-up for years now with no complaints. If I remember correctly the fan and pulleys are from about a '49 pickup.

CIMG1046.JPG

Doug Hines likes this.