Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New vs old flathead rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

I’ve heard some pretty scary horror stories of original stock flathead rods. And I’ve also heard some scary ones about the scat rods as well. But I’ve hear good things about the Canadian rods. Does anyone have any feedback on the Canadian rods. They are half the price of scat rods and are the same design of the original 8ba rods. Just want some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I cant say I really hear of horror stories of original rods.
    From a metallurgy standpoint, from what I understand, the original Ford rods are superior to any steel rod produced today.
    Unless you want to go crazy in RPM, which is useless in all but extreme flatheads, the stock rod, providing its good, are the best in my opinion.

Bill

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've never heard horror stories about flathead rods. And I've never heard about "Canadian" rods. What's the difference from a Canadian rod to a US rod?

The only thing I've ever read about Canadian rods is that they had insert bearings earlier than US, maybe in 1948? So, the bearings you would need for those are unobtainable and cost a mint if you can find them.

4. The rods are fine if straight and undamaged.
    But for gods sake get rid of the original castle nuts.
    I use oem Chevy rod nuts.

KiWinUS likes this.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

304 cubic inch, boom scan0031.jpg

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Now tell us the rest of the story! Please?

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Long time ago, 1959, owner was street racing. Welded 4 1/4 crank, full floating bearings. Stud most likely broke.
    scan0035.jpg

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several inches during winter I understand.
    I used original 8BA rods, shot peened and ARP nuts in my blown flathead. Not my idea mind you, Joe Abbin said to do it that way.
    upload_2020-9-8_18-1-19.png

9. Hey Billy,,,,that’s what I got for mine as well,,,,,ARP .
    Haven’t got it bored yet though,,,,,maybe early next Spring ,,,,,,been backed up all year because of how it has all turned out so far in 2020 .

Tommy

kidcampbell71 and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And they make good exhaust hangers if you have spares
    upload_2020-9-8_21-23-9.png

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Curious as to why regarding the castle nuts? My Canadian rods deserve the best! LOL

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got these from SoCal Speed in Sacramento when I rebuilt my 8ba. https://www.socalsac.com/Stock-Rod-7-Set-of-8-p/sflat001020.htm

These new 8BA-style connecting rods are:
    Manufactured to strict Mil-Spec standards.
    Bushed, sized, straight, and true – ready to run.
    Weight-difference range of about 3 grams throughout the set.
    Save time and money for rebuilds as well as hop-ups.
    At our price, they are cheaper than the cost of having an old set of rods mag’d, straightened, resized, and rebushed.

The flathead knowledgeable machinist said that resizing a flathead rod could be done but the result wasn't as good as a original rod. Don't know the specifics but with that advice I bought the new rods. At the time the cost wasn't much more than the cost to rebuild my rods. The machinist confirmed they were all within a nat's ass of each other weight wise.

13. Boden

Boden

Great info! The more I look into it the more I hear that they’re strong and this and that. But I’ve heard some scary things as well. But it sounds like it comes down to they’re more than fine for the street and minor beating on. Now does anyone know if they’re any advantage over Canadian rods vs 8ba rods?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.