Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jim snow

jim snow

Man, you’re killing it. The joy on your face after you fired it is priceless. Snowman

winduptoy, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also please add some kind of flex hose or strain loop into the fuel line. Vibration and flexing between the engine and body will lead to cracks and potential fire.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've only been in San Francisco a couple times, but I gotta say seeing your roadster rolled out of that little garage would just make my day. Can't imagine there are many others doing what you're doing in S.F. Great to see the progress and I'm looking forward to following along!

4. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Good advice, but one more thing: Use a quarter turn ball valve as your shut off instead of the petcocks they sell as Model A gas shut offs. A ball valve is drip tight, and turns easily (which is a real benefit when you need to shut it off NOW).

brEad, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. Cool project Joey! What parts do you still need for it?

Woogeroo, flatheadpete, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Times 2 on the ball valve at the tank outlet.
    I had that on my Model A. When I thought I might not be driving it for a while I would close the valve as I was backing into garage and let it run until the carb was empty.
    Never had carb problems with that quadrajet.

AHotRod, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

young guy building a rod in a not so roddy town.... hmmm...
    I, like a bunch of others here would like to help.. we appreciate what you do...
    maybe there is a way to return the effort.
    post a list of little things you need... keep it updated... I for one would donate some little thing to help out... I say little as shipping pooches the good dead...[I have a pr. of patenaed w/s wingnuts].
    float it see if the hambers don't have trinkets...

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That video is great. It’s that feeling like you need to tell any and everyone who will listen about what just happened. This aught to be good :)

winduptoy, J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Congratulations Mr. U!! Nice to see a "kid" building an early hot rod these days. Good luck, let us know if you need anything. We are watching. . .

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  10. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Loved the video! Ain't it a rush on that first start up?

chryslerfan55, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. I'm happy for you.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on your acquiring an A roadster @J.Ukrop....Great job getting it puttering...sounds good says Smokie the bear...a mystery oil in the cylinder burnoff perhaps...I look forward to your build...knowing your Thread Choices, we have an exciting Hotrod to look forward to...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Outback, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahahah I like your perspective, Marty! That gave me a good laugh. And thank you! Hopefully I'll drive it up to the Portland area sometime down the line.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I've been enjoying your tub thread. I got the wires from the Hot Rod Company here. They weren't cheap, but it looks like I'll be able to use some of the wire for my flathead when the time comes (or some motorcycle projects in the meantime). Also, they are a H.A.M.B. Alliance vendor, so they offer a 5% discount.

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I will do that. I was under the impression that the steel fuel line was far less prone to cracking as compared to the copper? (I painted my new steel line with copper paint to look more old-timey)

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks @kiwikev! I've always been inspired by your workmanship and eye for detail. Even though this won't be a drag machine by any stretch of the imagination, I'm hoping to incorporate some things I've learned from your threads on it.

As far as parts go, I have almost everything I need for Phase I. I may have to give you a shout when I start modifying the frame and suspension though. Thank you for the offer!

Thank you! I love writing about this stuff, and it's so fun being on the other side of things for a change. As far as parts are concerned, I have nearly everything for its pre-war guise. I wish I would have known about the wingnuts—I ordered four of them last week :eek:

Thank you! I've been studying these cars for over half my life, and it's exciting to finally dive in. Thanks for following along!

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the support, Danny! I have a long, fun road ahead of me. I enjoyed your thread on how cars looked when you first brought them home, and I think it'll be fun to look back on all this one day too.

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Once I had the car running, I did indeed take it for a drive around the block. Everyone who saw me rumbling down the street looked a little confused—but they all seemed to have smiles on their faces. It was as if I had rolled out of some sort of time warp! No doors, no hood, no floor, seat not really mounted, ancient tires...I wish I could have gotten a video. It was a trip I will never forget. I did learn that the water pump was leaking a whole lot, so I ordered a replacement. Oh, and I did manage to 1) run out of gas and 2) parallel park it.
    IMG_9957.jpg
    IMG_9956.jpg
    A real jalopy!

19. No fair you are moving way too fast!

winduptoy, Woogeroo, Outback and 3 others like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah don't worry, I'm away for the month, so things are slowing down a little bit!

Last week, I made a trip down to Southern California to spend some time with my girlfriend and her family. While I was there, I planned to buy some headlights from the H.A.M.B. Classifieds. Before I did, I did a quick Craigslist search. What did I find? A perfect set of Dietz 820 headlights with 12V sealed beams—locally! I bought them from a super nice older gentleman who was building a Chevy six-powered Model A RPU. He also had a very clean '53 Corvette, '56 F100, a Nomad, and a giant tortoise named Howie. IMG_9978.jpg IMG_9983.jpg IMG_9985.jpg
    I know Dietz 820s were used on a wide range of vehicles for auxiliary lighting, but I haven't seen many sets with the original chrome rings. Naturally, I searched the patent and came up with a little bit of info. (I know I said this was going to be a pre-war hot rod, but these came out in 1946. I'm gonna bend the rules a little bit and run them.)

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 6.36.04 PM.png

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you @Stogy! Yeah, there was a fair amount of oil in the cylinders from pre-fire up prep. It subsided as I ran it for a little longer. I'm sure this car will show up on the Journal from time to time!

winduptoy, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Let me know if you need anything, there are a few Model A guys around here !

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outstanding. You are five days younger than my son but a generation or two older. Your gumption, enthusiasm, scholarship and work ethic make you more than worthy to carry the traditional jalopy flag. Magnificent!

24. Be careful playing with those prewar bangers, they can become addictive. Don't ask how I know. 20200115_140058.jpg

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And being as you're in San Francisco I see you remembered to curb your front wheels when you parallel parked. But then I guess a ticket for not curbing your wheels would have been the least of your worries if a traffic cop happened by. :cool:

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

New car name...... The JoeyU

JoeyU Jalopy

27. Congrats on your build, they are so much fun. I met Bill Perry at All Ford Parts back in the 70's when I was building my 31 and living in Mountain View. He's a great guy

J.Ukrop and HEMI32 like this.
  28. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

You're fine. Ford designed them this way and there are lots of cars still on the road with the same setup.

29. My old stomping grounds (from 2002 thru 2019, my office was located just a block away from ALL FORD PARTS / THE 34 STORE). Owner Bill Perry is a family friend, fellow Hot Rodder, & a lifetime member of the Bay Area Roadsters.

Mmmm ... the "Large Falafel & Banana Shake Special" ... I know where I'm going to lunch today.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All Ford is my go to place and has been for many years. Bill Perry and his folks have always treated me well.