Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

As a kid, frequently went to Crystal Lake(NW of Chicago a good way) with my best buddy's family. Early Sunday mornings, Switzer Craft would bring their race boats out to test. All were outboards with Mercury power. Most were smaller, 14 feet or so. But on occasion the real cool secret stuff came out. Check this out. A step beyond a hydroplane.
    https://www.boatingmag.com/bob-switzer-performance-boat-pioneer-dies/

Fordors, Lepus and flyin-t like this.
  2. flyin-t

flyin-t

Always like the looks of the Switzer Shooting Star. I think they're 15 or 16 feet and they haul ass.

When I was a kid Bellflower Marine was just around the corner from our house. There were lots of boat shops around too and both my dad and I worked in that industry building boats. Anyway Bob Massey owned Bellflower Marine and he also raced boats, he was famous for racing the Switzer Flying Wing. A family friend was a good friend of Massey's and crewed on his boats. Sadly Massey was killed testing a boat at Lake Elsinore around '70 if I remember right.

rv008.jpg switzercraft-shooting-star-1044343.jpg

Cruisin', Lepus, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  3. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG My dad was into SK flat bottoms when my brother and I were teens as well as hot rods. We were lucky guys.
    As the old saying goes the nuts didn't drop to far from the tree or something like that.
    These pics are of a 1963 17ft. Stevens that my brother redid a few years ago. Casale v-drive with 389 Pontiac power (hence the name Old Goat). First trip across the lake brought tears to my eyes. Don't know if it was the speed or the memories of us doing the same thing 50 years earlier.

Cruisin', Lepus, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  4. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_2663.JPG Spotted this at a local car show this past year. The owner told me was that he wasn't allowed to show it at Tahoe wooden boat show because it was finished in automotive clear instead of varnish. Crazy little rules no matter the hobby.

Cruisin', badgascoupe, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Little sumpin' for the pile.:D

Scan0003.jpg Scan0004.jpg

Cruisin' and flyin-t like this.
  6. camphoneguy

camphoneguy
    from Oregon

Isn't that the way that Gar Wood raced? He drove and Orlin Johnson would manage the engine, including controlling the throttle, etc.? Is that one of the Miss America's?

7. Tritone

Tritone

Yes, U-14, Miss America VII. A great ride!

8. Tritone

Tritone

Repatriated stateside in the late '80's, fully restored from derelict status, now living the good life back at Tahoe.

9. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

10301512_837973529600105_8870423179510274926_n.jpg 1958 Lone Star, 1957 Ranchero.

Cruisin', Lepus, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

I see Otto Crocker was an official and Eddie Meyer was piloting one of the boats.......timing is timing and speed is speed whether on the water or the dirt at El Mirage . What a great time in the California hot rod scene. Have fun.

woodiemike likes this.
  11. Not sure if this was mentioned but there is an antique racing boat museum in Watertown New York. It is a great place to see so many racing boats of the past . Very well organized and informative. Nearby is Thousand Islands and The Boldt and Singer castles.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Sandwiches

Sandwiches

Anybody know what year and model this is? I'm 99% sure its a Glastron, but cannot figure out what ear or model. It was my Dad's and I am considering a restoration project. Any insight or pics of an original or restored would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

had mine out for a ride

Cruisin', rod1, flyin-t and 5 others like this.
  14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

That glaspar is cool. My aunt used to have that same evinrude on her boat when I was a kid. Loud sucker. Used to scare me good when she fired it up to pull me skiing, lol.

Here's my kid in the Holiday learning how to drive a boat.. 20200615_171810.jpg 20200613_154108.jpg .

Cruisin', jimmy six, LBCD and 6 others like this.
  15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Chris Craft just a stunning boat. Thanks for sharing the pic.

210superair likes this.
  16. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Hey see you are on Lopez. In the late 60's I worked for Harrah's when they ran the unlimited and we won the APBA championship. There was a rumor a few years ago one of Kaisers unlimiteds Hawaii Ki was stored up at Lopez and they took it out in the sound in front of his home and set fire to it. I have heard it over and over, sounds like a tall tale but thought you might know the real story.
    brasscarguy

17. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

When the IV was under construction on the balcony of Jensen motor boat company in Seattle. My father was contacted by Western Gear works in Seattle to machine the adapter from the gear box to the Allison engine, as he had a lathe large enough to make it.

My father and I (age 7) went to the boat shop for some reason. Anchor Jensen owner of the year took us up on the balcony and showed my dad the boat under construction and Anchor was quite the scary old may to me took me by the had and told me about the boat. But first he asked if I could keep a secret. He told me he was building a very very secret boat and I could never tell anyone what I saw. At 7 I had no idea what I was looking at. Anyway the hull was up on the balcony and there was a tarp covering from the railing to the ceiling so no one visiting the main floor of the boat shop could see up on the balcony. Many years later I had the opportunity to purchase Slo Mo V from Bob Gilliam when he had the boat in his shop in Bothell. No one was even considering restoring old hydros at that time, and of course I'm sure I did not have any money to buy it.

brasscarguy

rod1 and rusty valley like this.
  18. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

01399222-F2A9-4773-BC5A-F6BA8046AABF.jpeg Here’s a pic of an old boat owned and built by an old friend named Gene Lanham. He is 94, still drives hot cars and works on and flies a Piper Malibu! Cool dude!! The boat has been restored, currently in England.

Cruisin', down-the-road, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  19. dadsrebel

dadsrebel

beautiful boat, bitchin trailer

210superair likes this.
  20. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Where was that taken? Green Lake?
    Edit;
    I reached out to a Vintage Hydro racer from back in the day, here's what he said!
    This was at American Lake, Fisherman's Beach Lakewood WA. This was a military beach or state one....I can't remember but we tested there and my 1st race with the Cumon Baby was here. That's an island that you see and the race viewing was poor and the water was rough. Part of the course was out of site behind that island. Rw

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    down-the-road likes this.
  22. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Don't know, somewhere in Washington

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Agreed, that trailer is really neat. Makes the whole package! My trailer is all redone but doesn't add any vintage vibe. This one complements the ride nicely.

24. Bill Dirksing's blown Stevens under my care.

Attached Files:

25. The Unblown Fuel Flatbottom Record Holder, 1965- 1967, " Mortician", trolling for it's next victim...

Attached Files:

Hotdoggin DaddyO and 210superair like this.
  26. Tritone

Tritone

Across the street from JBLM.

27. Tritone

Tritone

HA! 2 years later here I am......the KAI was stored at Kaisers place on Orcas Island. Eventually they did the "Viking Funeral" thing on his beach....of course the Allison & running gear were long gone. But yes, a true/sad story.

28. I saw this over in the cars into trucks thread and thought I would drop it in here. Sleek and simple. 7429ABBA-2F70-4094-9C28-C71752DA7640.jpeg

Cruisin' and down-the-road like this.
  29. Hammurd

Hammurd

A friend of mine growing up bought this boat and restored it in the 80’s. A beautiful boat with pedigree

rod1 likes this.