Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First time working on an Edelbrock carb--what am I missing???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, Sep 7, 2020.

1. I've worked on my share of Holleys, this is my first time working on an Edelbrock carb, Needing to replace the accelerator pump. Watched a couple of YouTube videos that make it look pretty easy and straighforward. Disconnect linkages and fuel line. Take out the 8 Torq head screws, and lift off the top part of the carb to get to the accelerator pump. Except I've done all of that and top of the carb will not come off. There do not appear to be any hidden screws holding anything. Really afraid I'll break something if I hammer on it and try to force it off. What am I missing????

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Did you remove the air cleaner stud? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. I didn't. I'll go out and try that and see if it makes any difference.

4. Yes it will. I did the same thing last time I went to open mine up. Couldn't figure out what was going on.

5. That was it. I feel really dumb overlooking something that obvious. Screwed out the stud, top of carb lifted off easily. One of the best small block Chevy builders I ever knew had just assembled an engine and put it back in the car, couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting gas to the carb--until he spotted the fuel pump pushrod laying on his workbench.

The 39 guy likes this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the trees. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Terraizer

Terraizer

I did the same thing the other day