Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Speedweek 2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Aug 6, 2020.

1. pontman

pontman

He bought this car as a teenager, early 80s? Pretty sure it was his first car?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  2. pontman

pontman

Sorry I don't know all the details of the car. I believe it's a 180ci midget based SBC, half of a SBC anyway.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I did find out it was hand made aluminum and since it did not match a stock body it was forced into Lakester class. Which is also weird since many rear engine roadster look like lakesters now this roadster looking car is running lakester.........

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Salt Circus wrap-up for Bonneville 2020
    First if you missed any event at the Bonneville Salt Flats this year, you missed the BEST salt in maybe 10 years.
    For us it was a very difficult event for us. We changed from normal asperated to blown class. The GMC 302 we have in the Circus was built by another club member, Larry Landcaster, and he set it up to go either direction.
    We were hoping to go after the 'soft' record in the Blown Gas Roadster around 150 mph..
    We arrived at Bonneville with an untested/unfinished installed motor/parts. We had to add a new fuel lines and filters (duel) systems Blower controls and gauges. O/2 sensor, header wrap and more. We were finally able to make a pass on Tuesday. Got the car to the line,,, it was short,

The shifter that worked fine in the pits is now giving us problems,,, and the clutch is acting up...
    We decide on a push start in second and Chick can try to shift without the clutch...
    The start was good but she couldn't get pass third gear,,, a 126 and change run.
    We decided on an second attempt before they closed the course,, same thing again,,, back to the pits and we will take a look in the morning.

In the morning I'm laying underneath and crew chief Renee Anderson is pushing in and out the clutch,, underneath the arm is moving enough to disengage the clutch,,, looking, looking,, what the f***??? The flywheel is moving away from the crank,,, that's it boys and girls,, we were done. Load it up and headed home..

What happened? Well it seems that when you take a 302 GMC to 5000 RPMs the motor starts to have harmonics problems and flywheel bolts loosen themselves...
    The fix? A new flywheel as that one was galled and more, new flywheel bolts that are drilled for safety wire.
    Now two days from El Mirage we have it back together and running,, I posted the video elsewhere, but here it is again.

5. Best of luck to you guys! Motor sounds great!