Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To weld or not to weld?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shawn Wildman, Aug 31, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

IF you want it loud go with 2 1/2" pipes........
    6sally6

2. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

That JB weld stinks like hell when it starts to melt.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The simplest and most serviceable system on my 46 Olds uses either band clamps and/or bolt together flanges. I can remove my entire system in no time flat if need be.
    upload_2020-9-5_8-7-30.png

However in my 64, each individual pipe slips into a collector with a bolt on flange for exhaust. No leaks so far.
    upload_2020-9-5_8-14-16.png

My 35 Chevy uses a different style of band clamps, pipes are slip fit into each other. A bit of silicon when installing and no leaks after 15+yrs
    upload_2020-9-5_8-19-58.png

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Our buddy JB is no good with exhaust heat, you might as well use roofing tar.
    I have no idea of the engine, I assume a flathead. Run straights with resonators at the back. The resonators will take that hillbilly harshness away but it will still have a nice throaty sound. It just wont crack the sky and kill small animals.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put cat back duals on my not HAMB friendly truck. I used stepped stainless clamps after sliding the pipes together. Best system I’ve used and I’d use them again..

6. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

*UPDATE*

I spent some time under the truck Saturday morning tightening the pipe clamps. No more leaks. The truck sounds great now. Just thought I would let everybody know.

Thanks for replies.

ottoman, David Gersic and F-ONE like this.