Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Protecting from theft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

While I feed a Rotty, they just have a mind of their own. I think I own it, she thinks she owns me.
    They just have a attitude where they want to be the Boss of the yard.
    And I did get her as a rescue animal, she has some bad habits.
    Same time she is a good girl. If I had children, she would be the biggest protector around them. Nobody is touching those children with that dog around, and dog just follows children and lays near.
    We do not have children, we have a kitten ... dog hates it, but lays close by and protects it ... is a family dog. Will protect anything that lives there.

My Rotty is cool, she is a love bug, she loves to sleep on my bed and just touch me, she just wants to be close.
    She is always watching .... A small dog wandered into the yard then the house, Rotty ate it.
    If I stand there and call the rotty, she just looks at me ... She may come if I show a treat.
    She is not going to listen to anything I have to say.
    Possibly if I had a puppy from her and raised it from there, other then that, A rotty is not a great dog to own and take care of.

59Apachegail likes this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I used to have outside lights everywhere, then it dawned on me I was making their job easier by lighting their way.

Now I keep outside pitch dark, if u walk my property your gonna have to bring your own light and I will see you :D

Desoto291Hemi and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

4. Cameras that send video to your phone are OK. The major drawback is the motion sensor. My buddy got an alert about every 15 to 20 minutes. Birds, squirrels and other assorted animals set it off non stop. Even the wind blowing the trees set it off. If you do set up a camera try to put it where you can get a tag number. Much easier to track and identify than a face.

clunker, lothiandon1940 and belair like this.
  5. They are a great dog. My mother and father in law had a King Rotty, Mooch, they are bigger than the normal Rotty. He would follow her mother everywhere like our Golden Retriever does my wife. Mooch was lost when her Mom passed but still had her Dad. When her dad passed I had to call her oldest brother because he was lethargic and mourning. He quit eating, would not go outside, or roll over to get his belly rubbed. Her brother came and he jumped up wagging his stump of a tail and has thrived ever since. Anyone who he is near to he will protect. If he does not know you and you were to strike at someone he knows. Well, it would probably be their last move.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Damned if you and damned if you don't.
    Physical deterrents / obstacles will make them think twice so thieves will look for a softer target. I use discreet but strategically placed 24/7 quality cameras with good resolution that record to a separate HD, I can monitor remotely from anywhere at anytime via cell phone and can upgrade to 24/7 monitoring if necessary.
    Use any additional security where practicable, security screens on windows and large internal locks on doors, security gates make access a bit harder.
    If it's tucked away and hidden it can be both and advantageous or a liability? Don't advertise what's inside however in saying that if they want the contents they'll use whatever means to take it from you so ensure that you've adequate insurance cover.
    A big guard dog and signs are obvious deterrents.

7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time in this country, where you would see advertisements like this, in publications like Saturday Evening Post and Colliers magazines just to name a couple from long ago. Times were different and the element of being politically correct wasn't heard of back then. Indeed Texas is very different from the rest of the USA, and that is an interesting element indeed. I have always liked this image of the Cowboy in woolly chaps and Tom Mix hat using the Tommie gun to protect the ranch from marauding bandit's and bad guys! YMMV !

JeU8IaAWo6SNL5HAkKV-vDkthzRUfdm3XyQpcm_-0BU (2).jpg

wraymen likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

know a couple that had electric fences/gate openers, guard dogs, alarms - crook threw drugged meat over for dogs, jumped fence at gate because no motion detector on gate - killed everything at fuse boxes - used car that was already in garage to load up expensive stuff and drove out within 10 minutes - this was during the day. -- had my country house robbed during day - I was gone from house less than an hour when hit - parked van in driveway that blocked view of what they did to get in - in & out in minutes - alarm no good out in the country

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  9. fortynut

fortynut

There is no lower member of the human species than a thief. They are all sons of whores, and when cornered should be eradicated by whatever means at hand. Good people who work hard and save and scrimp and go without in order to accumulate a few things, tools, parts, cars, trailers, or whatever it is that are stolen, look down on this scum that has been with us from when we but wandering tribes and then were dispensed with a good bash to the head with a hefty stone. Unfortunately, we have in our midst people who accommodate this walking filth by passing laws against booby traps and other devices that would stop a good percentage of their stealing by simply punishing them in the act. Even to use Bear Mace is not acceptable, though we see it used in other applications more and more frequently. As to answers, I can't write down what goes through my mind and let anyone say they saw it because it might be used against me in a court of law. And, yes, I have had my experiences with these bastards and am working on making them work for whatever they get the next time. That's the only alternative I can think of besides sleeping in my shop with enough weapons and bullets to make sure I come home in one piece. Until then, I take only the tools needed for the job with me. The rest are close enough I have a straight aim at them. And, I have witty way to end this. KAT

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many good pieces of advice here. Security lights,cameras etc. As said by many DONT let strangers into your garage or shop! With the laws as they are the scumbag has more rights than the victim. Many years ago we lived in a remote area that had a lot of undesirable people (Mendocino County) My wife got a Rott pup and spent a lot of time with him doing obedience training etc. He was trained to silent and voice commands and won many obedience awards. He was about 135 pounds and VERY protective of her or our house etc. If you approached, he would move from the heal position to in front of her and ready. She also took him in the car when she had to go someplace at night. He never bit anyone but put a few at bay when needed and held them there til we called him off. I would not have wanted to break into a dark house and deal with him. Was it foolproof?No but one hell of a deterent!!

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I used to live out in the country, the property next to me had a sign saying every third trespasser would be shot, next sign said 2nd guy just left. I suspect the guard goose did more to deter people thou.

cfmvw and warhorseracing like this.
  12. Sure. Sounds great. Do you guys ever blow away a neighbors’ delinquent kid, or someone you know? Maybe your own meth addicted grandson? How did that work for you.

Lock the shit up. Call the police when you see something. They know how to deal with it. It’s just stuff. This women has enough to deal with, she doesn’t need to worry about live weapons or training an attack dog.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RmK57, wraymen, 31Apickup and 2 others like this.
  13. mountainman2

mountainman2

And what about the day one of society's "misunderstood individuals" shows up at her house and wants more than the "just stuff"? Sure, call the police and they will be right out to write up the report. :mad:

mohead1, wraymen, trollst and 2 others like this.
  14. Kill the first one and leave the body laying at the gate for all to see. Maybe a sign THIS COULD BE YOU!

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, but when the cops finally do show up...I'll have done everything in my power to make sure the "chalk outline" on the floor ain't mine.

16. @clunker. I agree that “stuff” is not worth killing someone over and depending on what state you live in, doing serious jail time. Calling the police might help out your insurance claim but it won’t do much else. At least that has been my experience.

clunker likes this.
  17. 59Apachegail likes this.
  18. Yes. That’s when to use deadly force. I’m right there with you. I’m prepared for that moment myself in the bloodiest most unpleasant way. But some loser slob stealing a snow blower or a chain saw? Totally different. I’ve had a few break ins while we were home. They heard me coming and jumped out the window. Other times it happened while we were sleeping or away. I can tell you 100% I wasn’t going to kill someone because they were stealing my digital camera. (Just hurt them a lot).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodjack33, wraymen and olscrounger like this.
  19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I started my law enforcement career in 1971, I was not assigned to the country club portion of town. The east side of town was a different story. One long road had a bunch junk yards on it. The one that generated the most calls was right next to a McDonalds that opened at 6:00 a.m. Many times at 5:45 I would get a call to the McDonald's as the opening people could hear someone screaming for help next door.

That particular junkyard had a big, mean dog that would allow anyone to climb over the fence and would tag along while the thief was unbolting parts and throwing them over the fence. The problem arose when the thief tried to climb back over the fence to leave the yard. That's when the dog turned vicious and would bite. The dog was fine until the uninvited guest tried to leave and would be bitten several times. The dog would then sit and stare at the thief as long as he didn't try to leave.

That's when the incoming McDonald's crew heard his plea for help and called the police.

20. trollst

trollst

Clunker, Yep, my friend shot a kid breaking windows and stealing from him, kid died, won't ever steal again, one less thief in the world. Yep, he was someones kid, yep he was a neighbourhood kid, you should have pity on him cause he lives near you?
    My friend nearly went broke pleading his case and ultimately won, but it cost him dearly. The real trouble today is that thieves know they will get the light treatment, so, they spread like an infection. In our parents day, you didn't steal, if caught, there was no telling what could happen to you, and you were marked by the community as a thief, someone not to be trusted, that affected your ability to work, and even live in the community.
    Stealing from me is the worst thing you can do, and if I get up at three in the morning to find someone on my property or in my shop, he won't get out of my shop on his own. I know this to be fact, I'm not one to talk about it, I WILL do something about it, and I won't call the cops.
    Is a life worth my stuff? Thats not my decision to make..... it took me a lifetime to accumulate "my stuff", all bought and paid for with sweat equity, I started out life as a welfare child, retired now, did well for myself, a lot of god damned hard work, a thief should ask if their life is worth the gamble, and they won't get far after making a fateful decision, because my entire neighbourhood is full of guys who think like I do.
    This is a heated topic, one that brings out the worst in us, creates arguments based on ideology, cause we live in a kinder, gentler world, but, thieves are still thieves, scum that have no value or respect for their neighbours, and we should have no respect or pity for them.
    Just my thoughts. LeRoy.

21. railcarmover

railcarmover

Live in the suburbs,the scumbags around here only steal what they can sell..flathead parts too heavy to steal,and no place to sell them. The car has two sticks (mitchell od) and a starter pedal,it would take the dope heads three hours just to figure out how to start it..Power tools? gone,Honda parts? gone..old ford junk? no takers

Desoto291Hemi and olscrounger like this.
  22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Try the simple stuff first like using a timer for the lights in your home or even in the shop.
    I also always leave a radio playing on an AM talk station because if they see the lights on and here voices they take off looking for another house to break into.
    My shop in alarmed and I also have a very large dog who sleeps in the shop.
    One day the alarm went off so when the police showed about 20 minutes later and opened the door again to see if everything was ok my dog ripped one leg of his pants off before he ran out and slammed the door.

It is hard to stop thieves but you can slow them down. I have a fence that is about 6'6" high with three wooden gates and all of the gated are locked and even if they hop over the fence they still can not unlock the gates from the inside.

I also have Brink security cameras mounted in the trees around the property and on the home.

Jimbo

Desoto291Hemi and olscrounger like this.
  23. RmK57

RmK57

This topic has nothing to do with hot rodding from what I can see. The question would be better suited on a home security forum.

Jalopy Joker and BrandonB like this.
  24. mohead1

mohead1

bullshit

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

A guy here wired the aluminum ladder hanging on the back wall to a transformer. If you touch it you get an enormous shock but it wont really hurt you. He added signs saying you will get electrocuted.
    Cattle fence charger

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  26. mohead1

mohead1

shoot to maim or make them a cripple

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1967 I talked to a thief who told me he only stole things that were brightly lit up. Said he didnt want to step in a hole and break his leg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  28. 73RR

73RR

No body, no corroboration... do not trust the court system in most of these 'several states'......

[​IMG]

29. It is not about stuff. It is my stuff,my land, my house, my garage and most importantly my family. You mess with any of it you are going to face a lead! I was robbed several years back and it is a terrible feeling. Since then I became trained and carry always. You come to my house looking for trouble, you are going to find it! Period.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

30. Off the rails and getting worse.

lurker mick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.