Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FRAME, S-10 frame swap....Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiedog

dixiedog

Real nice Clark!!

I am amazed at how friggin easy this looks, I had some questions from the s-10/ranger post last month, but between this and pork-n-beaner's PM's I think I understand.

One question - what type of header do you run? S-10 V8 headers or a std truck?

Yep this has my Tech vote [​IMG]

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'm gonna kick in a little too, i was fixin to make this a tech post myself, after so much demand for it last go around, got pics ready, but didn't have enough time yet to sit down and type! s'ok, less work for me!

i'm in the middle of doing the swap myself, but paused to give attention to other projects. so it sits for a few weeks, but what i do have done is only a weekend plus a couple afternoons of work. not counting stripping the donor.

i used a 2 door blazer, cause it was the first donor to come along that had the rest of the parts i wanted. it was a rollover, with a newer vortec v6, running, 5 speed manual, and a push button transfer case...yep i'm building a 4x4! this is to be a parts chaser/winter beater, the body ain't gettin nothin done to it, so excuse the torch cuts etc. it ain't gonna be purty, but its getting a smokin 383 in place of the vortec 6.

anyway i had to stretch the frame 15" due to the short wheelbase, i cut it just in front of the front leaf spring mount, and used donor sections from the old truck frame, it is actually very close in heighth, in certain spots, was a simple splice job. photo 1 is the right side splice, and the front bed mount http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-1-3.jpg

not sure why you guys switched the rear cab mounts from side to side, i think they are the same from blazer to truck, i just drilled a hole in the floor, had to cut out a hole in the seat riser http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-3-3.jpg

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-3-4.jpg i just used a piece of 1/4 plate between the mount and the cab. i mounted mine as low as i could, being i could not get much suspension drop with the 4x4. right now it has 30" tires on it, and it is still pretty damn low. i also raised the bid several inches, to maintain cargo capacity, but i will trim the running boards to fit tighter to the cab, and slightly bob the front fenders to match. a pickup frame has less kickup i think and probably would have been better. depends on where you want the gas tank also, its in back on the blazers, saddle tank on pickups.http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-4-3.jpg quick and dirty new bed floor whipped up from some tubing and angle iron, i welded the bed right to the frame, but the cab is rubber mounted. hey its a beater! this one is quick and dirty. i'l fill the bed floor with plywood later. http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-4-2.jpg

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-2-2.jpg

relocated front body mounts, piece of cake!

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-2-1.jpg

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-3-1.jpg

and yep, a wider rear axle is a must! or some deep dish wheels. i can re work the torsion bar mounts and get a few inches lower, still have suspension.

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-3-2.jpg

i used all the s-10 guts, column, with a longer steering shaft from a caprice, the swing pedals, master cylinder, clutch. its all real simple slice and dice, drill a few holes and weld here and there.

http://photo.starblvd.net/homelessray/1-1-4.jpg

most of the real fab is done, all within a week. still got the front sheetmetal mount, etc. to do.

same thing, just a little different.

click on the pics to see em, couldn't get em to link correctly and show up, but they're there!

3. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Awesome post Clark!!
    I scored a '84 S-10 Long bed last fall for $100 and wanted to do the same thing as you have done.I have a question about the brakes. I see you kept the master cylinder under the truck, and that's what I wanted to do also.Could you post a Pic of how/where you mounted it?

4. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Fantastic Post!

You showed lots of the stuff I wanted to see. My '54 may soon be sitting on an S-10 frame too. This truck is just supposed to be a driver, so it will have a 305 too, because that's what I have sitting in the corner...

5. 46mopar

46mopar

I've seen one of the S-10 SoWhat frame swaps take place ask Clark the questions Onelow48's truck was done this way simple easy and all late model parts you can't beat in. Clark can fine a way to put a s-10 frame under anything.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

cool ray! glad to see my old short box going some were:)

keep us updated:)
    tim

7. lulabelle

lulabelle

On my 51 I needed the steering clearance of an S-10 but couldn't work the rear of the frame in my application.So I just used the front clip of the S and built the rest to suit.

Attached Files:

8. Dixiedog..We have used the S-10 headers and ones they call clipsters. Any of the shortie headers that dump at the back of the motor will work. We have also used manifolds from late 70s GM cars. The trick is they have to dump at the back of the motor.

Sinister..I made my brake pedal from a Metropolitan pedal. Sorta hard to get pics. A universal brake kit from someplace like Speedway could be made to work easily. Most of the time we use the S10 pedal and master cylider.
    Clark

9. Many...I have a 40 cab and I think it will fit but it gets real tight at the firewall. The problem area will be around the steering box. I don't have the front fenders so I'm not sure wether it will work or not. If the steering box is in the way I have heard of guys adapting rack and pinion to the S-10 but then you have to watch for bump steer and other steering problems.

Bellm...I think any year S-10 will work. The older ones are cheap so we stick to them.
    Clark

10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am going to try to post a picture or two of the S 10 swap I have done to a 47/54 Chevy truck.

Attached Files:

11. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Another, sorry about the picture quality as these are from a digital video camera that I am just learning to use

Attached Files:

Pablo servin likes this.
  12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Last for now. I have more of the trans crossmember, radiator support and such but I really need to take some better pictures.

Attached Files:

13. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

found two more but they are poor quality. First is transmission crossmember. It was difficult as it had to go under the brake booster.

Attached Files:

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This is the sectioned radiator support that now uses a Mustang radiator.

Attached Files:

15. hey lulabelle, do have anymore pics of your frame, cause i have ran into the same problem w/my 48 burb/school bus & would like to get more ideas before I start on it....joe

16. johnnylonghair

johnnylonghair

Oh yeah and by the way get a freakin job

17. lulabelle

lulabelle

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah and by the way get a freakin job

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. [ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have any information on putting a 1940 ford pickup on an S-10 frame?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 40 pickup will work on S-10. Always use the long wheelbase versions, 118 or 123 as they are easy to shorten. Factory seam on the frame. My buddy has a 39 deluxe 2-door on an S-10. The steering box just clears the front fenders, the frame has to be cut even with the box. The rad will be a little offset, but it works. Won't work on a 41 ford car front end, but 42 and up will work. 39 standard and older won't work. The fenders don't clear the steering box.I am putting together a 48 coupe on one. Works good. Someone did an article in a mag once about adapting a rack to the S-10, but the jist of the article was don't bother. Too many problems.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Pablo servin

Pablo servin

That's bad ass brother, I have a 1950 3100 5window and thinking of going the s10 route. So I can have everything updated brakes and put a v8 and possibly airbags . Did it take you long to finish the frame? 20200905_185619.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Pablo servin

Pablo servin

Pretty bad ass Clark, seems like you done alot of swaps before ? I have a 1950 chevy 3100 wanted to go that route vs spending money on new brake lines new parts for the original frame should I just go the s10 way ? U think it takes long time?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Driver50x

Driver50x

This thread is 16 years old..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.