Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1927 T tub

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt t, Sep 6, 2020.

1. In the process of building a 1927 T touring.
    I would like to use coil over shocks on rear , however the are asking for half the weight of car.
    A frame ,small block 350 with a Turbo 350 , 8" Ford ranger rear end .
    anyone care to guess?
    Terry aka dirt t

2. evintho

evintho

Here's an old pic of mine under construction.

PC040145.jpg

I'm running a Ford 8". I grabbed a pair of coilovers at Pick-N-Pull from an '88 Subaru station wagon. They're rated around 150psi. Cost was $18 for the pair. Replaced the shocks with some new KYB's @ $60 for the pair. Torsion bars are from a '90 Land Rover Discovery and the panhard bar is a cutdown Isuzu rear torsion bar. I love the ride. Just about perfect!

jim32 likes this.
  3. Thanks for the post.
    Terry aka dirt t

4. lake_harley

lake_harley

Quick search found weight listed at 1200-1650# on one site and 1970# on another for Model T's. Since it's a touring, I'd think the 1650# to 1970# range would get pretty close on a touring, since it has more body at the back and the weight of a rear seat. Now, what your car will weigh might be slightly more, but most of the added weight would be toward the front. I'd think if you started with an approximate rear weight of 750# to 850# you'd be really close. From that you'd subtract unsprung weight (rearend and part of the weight of the rear suspension) divide by 2 and you'd have an approximate corner weight. Depending on the stroke of the shocks you pick, I believe about 40% compressed at ride height would be reasonable. From that amount of compression (sprung corner weight divided by inches of compression) you could figure a reasonable starting point for spring weight. If the shocks are angled from vertical there's a chart available on sites like Speedway that show the % of effective spring weight "loss" dependent of angle.

Maybe this will be food for thought.

Lynn

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020

5. Thank you Lynn.
    GreT help.
    Terry aka dirt t